Main types of insurance in Germany

The kind of  insurance in Germany you will subscribe to might not be the first thing that comes to mind when planning to move here, but it is utmost important to plan ahead some coverage. Life is a bitch and you never know what it has in store for you so a good coverage makes sure you are not left penniless after something happens. Some may differ from what you know from back home so i made an overview types of insurances you can subscribe to in Germany.

insurance in Germany

List of possible insurance in Germany:

Krankenversicherung: Health insurance

Your health insurance in Germany. I have made a dedicated page to see here. You can be public or private insured and you might need to subscribe to a complementary insurance for costs like heavy dental surgery for example. It’s a fairly complex topic to grasp at the beginning but it gets clearer with time. It’s a highly suggested read.

Haftpflichtversicherung: Liability insurance

It can be translated to personal liability insurance. This is probably the only one in this list apart from health insurance that you should be sure to have. It’s so important actually that it is illegal in most EU countries not to have one! It covers you from all the little accidents that can happen every day to you as an individual. Why you should probably get one and how to pick the right coverage for your case; this is what you can learn in this dedicated post about liability insurance in Germany this way. 

Hausratversicherung: Home contents insurance

That insurance will cover every item you own in your flat or house like your furniture or your TV set. It might come handy when you have finally gathered all those precious antiquities from the flea markets around Berlin. It covers your belongings in case of fire, water damages and theft happening at home. However, it only cover belongings/things/stuff. Insuring the actual walls, doors, windows or roof is something else: Gebäudeversicherung, something we cover later in this post.

If you want to know more about home contents insurance for Germany (sometimes known as house insurance), and how to pick a good policy, follow the link.

Zahnzusatzversicherung – Dental insurance

Dental care is one of the more costly aspect of health care. It is somewhat covered by your Krankenkasse but you may need an additional policy to get your money back in case heavy duty work is performed. Whether or not you really need it and a good overview is available via this post on dental insurance in Germany.


Unfortunately, the Hausratversicherung doesn’t cover broken windows in your flat, this will do the trick. It might be useful if you live in a place with large windows. However some Hausrat do have protection against broken windows, for a slightly higher fee. Broken windows are one of the most common damages in a house and one of the most labour intensive too.

Kfz-Versicherung – Car insurance:

This is your car insurance in Germany that can be more or less extensive. I have made a more detailed guide about this on this page. It will help you decide which insurance is best for you and give you tips on how to get the best deal to save money. We also show you how to use your past driving record in your home country to get an even better price for your policy.


Literally “ law-protection-insurance”, this will cover you from any procedural fees you might have to pay when resolving a dispute in court. If you feel that conflicts with your landlords or neighbors might arise, it could be wise to subscribe to such insurances. There are policies covering personal risks or professional risks. You might also need protection in your professional life as well. Doctors have often that type of insurance in case their make a medical error and they have to face it in court. If interested, can help you to find the best rates.


Your life insurance in Germany. You never know what comes around the corner for you in life, do you? This will make sure that the people you love have enough resources while you are in heaven looking over them. You can pick policies that cover you for 15, 20, 25 or more years through your life. This is something people tend to subscribe to when they have children or get married.


Your accident insurance in Germany : this will make sure that you have enough financial means in case you become you become permanently handicapped after a grave accident. This is really relevant if your job is depending on your ability to move or use strength. It’s also something worth considering if you can’t do your job remotely or if you rely on the use of your hands for you job. Even developers can be at risk there, if they can’t use a computer anymore.


If you get far enough to buy your own flat, you will need that to cover the actual building where you live in. It covers walls, roofs and basement. This is also important if you rent your flat out. Your tenant’s insurance doesn’t cover the walls he is living in.

I can not stress enough how important is it to have some sort of coverage. Living on the edge can be fun until you must pay 5000€ to your neighbor because of water damages caused by a flimsy washing machine (true story, it happened to me).

Tip : If you want to have a look at prices and compare plans between insurance companies, i would suggest to have a look on the price comparison website They specialize in comparing prices.


  • Reply Uswatun Chasanah 09/09/2020 at 19:44

    i will arrive in germany in 25 september 2020. and i would like to know do you have some travel insurance or the other insurance that the country want. sorry i really need help over here cause this is the first time i need travel insurance for my trip. thank you.. have a good day

  • Reply Reggie 24/03/2020 at 12:36

    Is there an insurance I need when leasing a flat? I currently am leasing a furnished flat and am wondering if there is apartment insurance.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/03/2020 at 20:52

      Hey Reggie. Have you seen this post?That should cover it,

  • Reply Marina 30/07/2019 at 18:00

    Hey Bastien, very helpful, thanks! Are there any difficulties to stop the coverage, for instance, when I finish my studies, move out or if I write my Master thesis from home country?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/07/2019 at 09:36

      Hey Marina. As a rule, it is enough to show an Abmeldung Bestätigung from the Standesamt to get out of a contract, even before the end of the notice period. But check your contracts.

  • Reply Jane L 12/07/2019 at 13:19

    Hi Bastien, Many thanks for this article. Which insurance would you recommend for personal effects such as a smartphone, mobile laptop and bicycle? Would Hausratversicherung cover these personal effects, even though they are often carried outside of the home?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 22:00

      Hey Jane. In most cases, Hausrat covers that, but it maybe only covering damages if they happen in your home.

  • Reply Isaiah 11/02/2019 at 14:11

    Bastien, informative article, thank you.

    Does Hausratversicherung cover personal belongings outside of your property? Is it comparable with ‘Renter’s Insurance’ in the states?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/02/2019 at 10:00

      Hey Isaiah. A typical Hausrat policy is only covering things inside your property but some policies may include extras, depending on the available options.

  • Reply Julie O'Connor 22/06/2018 at 11:55

    Very useful article!
    I am renting an apartment and found that the Hausverwaltung is difficult to contact. I also came across some very poor reviews of them from past tenants. I would like to be covered in case any issues arise.
    For this situation, I am unsure if I should join Berliner Mieterverein or take out Rechtsschutzversicherung to protect myself.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/06/2018 at 14:25

      Hi Julie. Both options are possible. If you take a Rechtsschutz, make sure to take one that covers conflicts in that area of law!

  • Reply Sarah 27/02/2018 at 15:11

    Firstly, thank you for the very useful information!

    I work as a Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter at a university, and I will need to go abroad as part of my job. To do so, it would be necessary to take my work laptop with me. However, I was told that as soon as I have my work laptop outside of my workplace here in Germany, I am then liable for anything that may happen to it, even if I am in the workplace for the part of my job that must be carried out abroad. I was told that Haltpflichtversicherung would cover this, but I was always under the impression that Haltpflichtversicherung would not cover anything to do with work. Am I misunderstanding something?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/02/2018 at 20:01

      Hi Sarah. I’m afraid this question is too specific for me to reply. It’s probably best to ask your insurance directly.

  • Reply Fernanda Poblete 01/02/2018 at 10:45

    I have to go to Germany for an specific job that it’s going to be just for a month … I have different insurances policies paid here in Denmark … dunno if I shall have an extra coverage for that period…. not sure yet what type of coverage my job will supply…. what you would suggest? I am waiting for my employer info… but I am investigating ahead. Thanks!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/02/2018 at 19:45

      Hi Fernanda. Your domestic coverage should probably be enough.

  • Reply Boyko 28/11/2017 at 13:16


    I rent an apartment in Berlin but do not permanently live here. I have a complete health insurance, covering for all kind of things mentioned in your article, in another European Union country. Would I be fine if something happens in Germany while I am here and would my insurance count?

    Thank you!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/11/2017 at 09:11

      Yes Boyko. You are fine with your insurance from another EU country.

  • Reply Marc 14/11/2017 at 22:58

    Hi 🙂
    my question now is, whats the possible minimum for the Health Insurance for those working without an Insurance agreement with their Employer?. Also, is it accurate to assume that the lower income one gets, the lower for Health Insurance one pays?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/11/2017 at 10:43

      Hi Marc, if you go with the public system; health insurance contributions are based on income yes, albeit with a minimum contribution. If you are an employee, your employer has to pay the health insurance contribution unless you job is a minijob (max 450€ per month).

  • Reply Ahmed 07/11/2017 at 14:20

    What happen if i not pay the monthly contribution for an insurance company? Did i cant go out from Germany? And it is mandatory for having insurance here?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/11/2017 at 18:04

      Yes it mandatory to have insurance and you can have your assets frozen in case you don’t pay.

  • Reply garden state 07/11/2017 at 11:29

    Hey there, I am sharing a studio with two other designers and we would like to get insurance. Do you have an insurance company to recommend that covers our belongings, people coming in, and anything that is water / fire related ? Thanks so much

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/11/2017 at 18:03

      Hi there. That would probably be Gewerbeversicherung.

  • Reply Jacky 12/08/2017 at 00:04

    Wonderful site Bastien, thank you. Do you know if employees are obliged to pay pension and unemployment insurance from their wage? I only have a 12 month work contract and am unlikely to stay on. (Could I even get unemployment benefit if I haven’t been working for more than 12 months?). I read on another site expats saying they didn’t have to pay these, but my HR says I do. Any thoughts?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/08/2017 at 13:38

      Hi Jacky, i think you should check with your home country with these pension and unemployment contributions can be transferred so these rights are recognized there as well.

  • Reply Mateus 07/07/2017 at 01:16


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/07/2017 at 11:53

      Rentenversicherung is your pension plan, something that is included in your health insurance already for all employees. You can of course book additional plans on your own.

  • Reply Lambris Savva 08/02/2017 at 09:33

    Can you recommend a site for personal liability that is not in German

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/02/2017 at 19:44

      Hello Lambris. To my knowledge, there are no insurance companies that have dedicated offers or websites in English. Sorry.

  • Reply Sarah Skeen 07/02/2017 at 22:52


    I am renting an apartment and the door has broken. The owner has said it is something I must pay for with my insurance. Is this correct if I don’t own the apartment and if so which insurance would cover this?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/02/2017 at 23:07

      Hi Sarah. this is harder to say without much information because if the door has broken because of normal use (normal wear and tear), you shouldn’t be you paying it. If it broke of misuse from your end, then you should cover (you and or your insurance that is to say). Look into what your contract say, maybe there is something about this. Haftpflicht should cover the damages if it’s your fault.

  • Reply Simon 31/01/2017 at 20:10

    Just clarifying, but when my flimsy washing machine hoses my neighbours I’d turn to my Haftpflichtversicherung (personal liability insurance) provider? (Rather than Hausratversicherung?)

    Great overview though, Cheers.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/01/2017 at 21:17

      Hi Simon. Hausrat applies to your own belongings in your own flat and Haftpflicht applies to other people or other people’s property. Hope this helps. 🙂

  • Reply Luis Feduchi 16/01/2017 at 19:34

    Can you recommend one or a few names of insurance companies in Berlin that may insure my flat? I am the owner but i am not a resident in Berlin.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/01/2017 at 09:25

      Hi Luis. It’s hard to recommend any plans because your needs are probably quite different. You can compare plans for Gebäudeversicherung on Preisvergleich. You will find it in “Sachversicherungen”. Best of luck.

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.