How to get a German permanent residence permit

For many of us expats, it has been a long and complicated road to build a stable situation in Germany. You should be proud of yourself for achieving all this. However, in the back of the mind, there is always the feeling that our lives are hanging onto a visa tied to a company, a job or a type of career.

To push this uneasiness away, it’s time to make it official and long-term: let’s get a our German permanent residence permit sorted! Only then are we able to think about the future, without any sword of Damocles hanging over our heads.

German Permanent residence permit

This guide aims at giving you an overview on the topic. Brew yourself some coffee: it’s a long read!

Visa, residence permit, settlement permit… what’re the differences?

Here the problem is that many of these words are used interchangeably. The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge / BAMF) differentiates between several residence titles – documents that state the terms under which you can visit, live in and work in the country. It’s more commonly known as a visa or limited residence permit. In Europe, you differentiate between the EU-level visas, such as the Schengen visa that you’ve likely heard of, and the national visas which are given by an individual country’s government. A settlement permit, on the other hand, is a long-term residence title which has fewer restrictions than temporary ones.

The Aufenthaltserlaubnis (limited residence permit) is your standard Germany visa, which is issued for a specific time period and has restrictions on the type of work the holder can have. In other articles on Settle in Berlin, we’ve covered visas for:

We’re going to focus on the two long-term settlement permits, namely the German permanent residence permit (unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis) and EU permit for permanent residence (Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU). If you want to live indefinitely in Germany and the EU, these are the two permits to research. And of course, there is the option of acquiring German citizenship. But that’s a story for another day.

The main difference between the permanent residence Germany provides and the one from the EU is the length of time you need to live in Germany before you qualify. Also, while the latter lets you move around the EU without restrictions, with the former you’ll need to keep your main address in Germany. Let’s look at both each of these options, starting with the EU-level permit.

What are the requirements for the EU permit for permanent residency?

According to Section 9a of the German Residence Act, as a non-EU national, you may apply for unlimited residency to live and work anywhere in the EU once you have lived at least five years in Germany. During this time, you need to have been paying into the health and pension systems (60 months in total) How these 60 months/5 years are calculated depends on your situation. For the permit for permanent residence Germany usually requires you to already have a visa that allows you to work, such as the permits for general employment, self-employment, and the EU Blue Card. If you’re currently a student, completing an internship, or just here to visit a language course, you don’t qualify.

When you apply, you’ll need to prove that you have enough money or a job that pays enough for you to support yourself and your family unit without the need for government assistance. Also, your living space must be big enough. This seems to mean a minimum of 13sqm per person. In addition to these requirements, you should enroll in an integration course or show proof that you speak German at a B1 or better level and that you have the necessary knowledge about German law and culture.

What are the requirements for the German permanent residence permit?

If you are a non-EU national and have lived in Germany for at least 5 years (60+ months of health and pension system contributions), then you meet the first requirement for the German permanent residence permit. The other requirements are the same as above for the EU permanent residence permit: enough money, visa that allows work, enough living space, enough German language and societal knowledge, and no criminal record.

But different from the EU permit, you might be able to get the Germany-issued permit sooner as long as you don’t have a criminal record and you fall under one of these categories as explained by the BAMF:

• Specialist: In some cases, you might immediately qualify for a permanent residence permit if you are a well-educated specialist in your field. Generally, this translates to scientists, senior researchers, and instructors. You first need to get a job offer in Germany with a high enough salary to secure your livelihood.
  • Graduate of a German university: You now have the “right” degree to be successful here. When it comes to permanent residence Germany wants to keep the best and the brightest, so this will make it easier to get a temporary visa and only need to live 2 years in Germany to qualify for the long-term permit. More specifically, you need to have a job in your field that pays you enough money that you don’t need to rely on government assistance. In addition to working for 2 years in Germany (24 months contribution to the pension system), you’ll need to show B1 German language skills.
  • EU Blue Card holder: There’s a reason this is called the “golden ticket” visa. As long as you meet the standard requirements set for the German permanent residence permit, you can apply for it after only 33 months instead of 5 years. Even better, if you pass the B1 German language exam, you can already apply for the permit after just 21 months! Only those months will be counted when you had the EU Blue Card, lived in Germany and contributed to the social security system. Basically, the government wants to keep you in Germany because Blue Card holders get good salaries, are well-educated, and usually bring much-needed skills.
  • Self-employed: The official requirements are vague, but basically if you meet all of the standard requirements and your business is successful, then you can apply for the permanent permit after just 3 years This only applies to business owners (Gewerbetreibende). Freelancers (Freiberufliche) have to wait the usual 5 years.
  • Family member of a German citizen: In this case, the rules are less strict. If you have learned basic German, have held a temporary residence permit for at least 3 years, and still live together with the German citizen (spouse, partner, child, or parent) then you should qualify for the permit for the permanent residence Germany offers.
  • Asylum seekers and refugees: If you are a recognized asylum seeker or refugee in Germany, you qualify for a permanent residence title like everyone else after 5 years. This can be shortened to 3 years if you can show that you are well integrated and have learned German (C1 level).

More details on the requirements can be found here in English or by deciphering the German legalese.

Life of an expat in Germany: a romantic representation 😉

Permanent Residence Germany Application Process

For the application process for either permit, you’ll need to submit the following documents to your local Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde), here using the specific requirements for Berlin residents:

• Application Form for a permit allowing Permanent Residence Germany or EU (Antrag auf Erteilung einer Niederlassungserlaubnis/Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU) – this mostly confirms that you’ve read the requirements.
  • Valid passport
  • Biometric photo
  • Proof of sufficient income: here they’ll want to see that you and/or your partner are earning enough money to avoid welfare assistance. Employees should bring their contract, a recent statement from the employer confirming they work there, pay slips of the last 6 months, and an overview of social security payments. Self-employed people and freelancers need the most recent tax return (Steuerbescheid) and an audit report (Prüfungsbericht) from a licensed tax consultant. If you’re no longer working due to retirement, you just need your pension statement (Rentenbescheid), but if you’re unable to work you need to bring a doctor’s statement (fachärztliches Attest), assessment from the employment office, or disability statement (Rente wegen Erwerbsunfähigkeit oder Erwerbsminderung).
  • Documentation for any additional funds that you receive, like child money (Kindergeld) or parental leave assistance (Elterngeld).
  • Proof you have health insurance, either through confirmation from the insurance (public) or showing the policy agreement and proof of payment (private).
  • Proof that you (or your partner) are paying into the pension system.
  • Registration confirming that this is your main address (Meldebescheinigung).
  • Rental agreement or purchase contract that shows the monthly costs and total square meters.
  • Integration course or German language certificate with the final exam’s grade listed. There may be alternative ways to prove these conditions are met – ask at your local Foreigners Office.
  • The fee varies depending on the situation, usually between €113 and €124. Note that you still have to pay half as a processing fee if you are denied the permit.

In some cases, you’ll need additional documentation, so check the requirements for your employment category. Here are the links to the Berlin service pages for:

If you’re missing documents or don’t meet the requirements, be ready to get denied the permit. This shouldn’t have an effect on your existing visa unless you no longer meet those requirements either. I highly recommend you find an immigration lawyer or talk to your local migration advisory center (Migrationsberatung).

Once you get your little plastic card, celebrate! The permit for permanent residence Germany has finally awarded you with lets you live and work in Germany for as long as you like. Your permit is unlimited and won’t expire or need changing when you switch jobs. If you took the longer route and applied for the EU permit, you can now move to any other EU state. But if you live outside the EU for more than a year you may lose the permit. And you’ll want to stay on good terms with the local Foreigner’s Office, especially if you’re working towards citizenship.

I hope this overview helped you to wrap your head around the different topics. Let me know in the comments if you have any remarks or questions.

• Reply Chihchun 20/05/2020 at 17:19

I asked Ausländerbehörde about applying EU long term permit with “enough money” and living/working in Germany for over five years. The immigration office told me that I cannot apply with the proof of the enough money/asset in my case. Although it is not what it says on their official website. So I think it is not definite what the requirement are. It is better to ask them in person in case they reject the visa apply for individual reasons.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/05/2020 at 13:34

Hey Lily. Thanks for your feedback. That’s useful. This shows that again, it’s a case by case basis.

• Reply Niranjan Pawaria 27/03/2020 at 11:20

My name is Niranjan Pawaria.
    My question is about permanent residence in Germany.

I am working in Germany for 19 months (Holding Blue Card) after completing my masters from a German university.
    I am planning to take a job position in Austria. I have a plan to stay in that job (in Austria) for 18 months and want to come back to Germany and work.

If i want to apply a PR for Germany after coming back.

How many month I need to work after my return?
    2 month + 19 month from previous years (consecutive months added) = 21 months + B1 German certificate
    or
    I have to start from stretch. i.e 21 month after coming back (consecutive months not added) + B1 Certificate for German language.

I would be very thankful for any kind of assistance.

Kind Regard’s
    Niranjan Pawaria

• Reply dilip 10/04/2020 at 23:15

I have a question with a similar situation.
      I just want to know, whether it is allowed to keep the German blue card or Residence permit, if one has job in Austria with an Austrian blue card.

Thanks/

• Reply Rajeshwar 21/03/2020 at 00:34

I am living in Germany since year 2017 on EU Blue card and going to complete 33 months within couple of months. I lost my job in feb 2020 and going to join another job in May 2020. I applied for arbeitslosengeld for the month of March as I received my offer letter on 19th March only . Now my question is if I withdraw my application for arbeitslosengeld then also I would be able to apply for PR in germany after 33 months or I am not eligible to apply for PR in 33 months as I applied for social benifit?. Additionally Is there is any impact on my PR application if I have not paid tax for these 2 months.

Thanks in Advance

• Reply Zoedwelling 12/03/2020 at 10:29

Thank you for the info. Please I would like to ask if you can still apply for PR after you divorced? Married for 3yrs 8 months to an EU citizen. Separate for a year now. I am working and have my own apartment. I don’t have B1 but I can speak German very well.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/03/2020 at 21:39

Hey there. Your marital status bears no influence on your application.

• Reply ChihChun 20/05/2020 at 17:29

Hi, I once applied PR from blue card but was rejected because I don’t have any B1 proof of language certification even if I could write and communicate with them in German. Also they said I need to have 3% more of the salary each year because of inflation!! Apparently there are a bunch of details the immigration office do not state. So be aware if they reject you with plenty of reasons you were not aware of . I have a questions though. I moved out Germany (Abmeldung) for less a year and re-register again (because a blue card allows you doing that within 12 months). Am I still able to apply for PR without continuously living?
        I have studied and work in Germany for almost 9 years now and still cannot get a PR for many reasons. It is very frustrating 🙁

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/05/2020 at 13:37

Hey Lily. That’s great feedback. Thanks a lot. In short, i can’t give you a definitive answer because it might again be a case by case assessment. It only says that you should have had a residence permit since 5 years. It doesnt state if this has to be 5 continuous years or not.

• Reply Munawar Hussain 10/03/2020 at 22:08

Hello I’m from Pakistan married in Finland 21/11/2019 my wife from Slovakia my residence permit from Greece and my wife working in Germany can we live together in Germany?

• Reply Len Kaiser 07/03/2020 at 12:59

How much is sufficient income? I get a monthly SSDI check here in the US.

• Reply Ade Ade 07/03/2020 at 07:53

Hi please i will like to ask a question.incase i got the permanent resident permit as an asylum seekers. Can i used it to travel withing Eu despite that i have not get refugee status.but working for more than 2 years.have B1 in language.and be able to take care of family.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/03/2020 at 21:26

Hey Ade. I’m not sure how the Asylum seeker status impacts your PR. Sorry.

• Reply RRRei 04/03/2020 at 23:03

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am working as a postdoc at university. I have a blue card which is valid until Jan 2021 and my contract was started since November 2018 (16 months till now). I will get my B1 German language certificate by two months and I planned to get the permanent residence after 21 months.

Actually I awarded a scholarship which is high prestige in academics (Alexander von Humboldt) yesterday. But the problem is that this scholarship is tax-free, So I am wondering if my boss changes my contract with this scholarship which is tax-free, could I also apply for permanent residence?.

I am not sure how they will count the 21 months which is required for permanent residence. If I change my job and will find another job in the next 5-6 months which has all the required criteria for bluecard, can I apply for the permanent residence? will they consider these 16 months as a period of 21 months? or would the gaps make a problem to get permanent residence?

I really appreciate your assistance if you could answer this question.

Thank you in advance.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/03/2020 at 23:33

Hey RRei. Sorry, can’t answer this one.

• Reply Humboldtsucks 20/05/2020 at 10:30

I was in a similar situation. I turned down the Humboldt scholarship because of this exact reason, you won’t be granted permanent residence because you aren’t contributing to public pension. Besides, it is NOT high prestige, that’s what everyone says but it does nothing. Literally no one in academia cares about it. It is just a clever way for the German institutes to get around paying taxes and short-changing the researchers. You should find a job with a salary that pays the taxes and then you start from that date to wait to apply for permanent residence because that is when you start to contribute to public pension, which is a requirement.

• Reply Tamsen 27/02/2020 at 20:21

Iam 72,retired from the us,will not work and married to a german citizen. Any way around this language thing? I can get around well but not pass the b1. It is also irrek\levant in my case. Thanks

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/03/2020 at 23:20

Hey Tamsen. I’m afraid not.

• Reply Diana 17/02/2020 at 21:48

I have a question. I am currently unemployed, having the unemployment insurance payments (Arbeitslosengeld II). I am in Germany for 5.5 years, of which I worked for 4,5 years, of which 34 months were on the basis of a Blue Card. What if have an amount of money that is enough to support myself for 6-12 months – would that allow me to get the residence permit?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/02/2020 at 17:49

Hey Diana. I don’t have a hard source on this but in my opinion, you need to show you can support yourself long-term without government assistance. Having a job is probably your best before doing an application. I don’t think your savings would make a difference here.

• Reply Saeed Roudgarian 12/02/2020 at 11:34

Hi, there!
    Does anyone have the experience, how long does it take to be notified of an appointment? It has taken me over 4 months so far.
    Regards
    Saeed

• Reply Den 10/02/2020 at 15:08

Hi, I am non-EU citizenship holding a permanent residence from Italy. I was offered a job from Germany and will be working there in March. Should I also wait 5 years to able to get a permanent residence in Germany or do I already have the right of permanent residence in Germany? Thanks a lot. Your blog is super helpful.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/02/2020 at 09:48

Hey Den. I don’t know: is your current italian permanent residence an EU wide one?

• Reply Chandan B 30/01/2020 at 23:01

Thanks for the article…
    I have a small question regarding permanent resident permit for my spouse.
    Currently I have a PR and my spouse has already completed 5 years in Germany and have a B1 level German certification. Hence we would like to apply for the PR now.
    My question is: is it necessary that I should have an unlimited work contract to apply PR for my spouse?

Please let me know your opinion.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/02/2020 at 21:42

Hey Chandan. I’m not sure about this one. My 2 cents: your work contract has no incident on her PR application. Her work contract matters

• Reply Chandan B 10/02/2020 at 09:53

Hi Good morning…
        Thanks a lot for the feedback. Actually my wife is not working at the moment, she was working with mini job contract, but till today she has a dependent visa. In this case is it necessary that I should have an unlimited contract? she has already completed 5 years stay in Germany and have necessary language certification.

Best regards

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/02/2020 at 09:45

Hey Chandan. I mean, the requirements are listed in the post. you do need a job to support yourself for the application.

• Reply Fabiiana 07/05/2020 at 15:07

What happened in your case? what did you do? …. i would like to know because I will do it next year. I found this:
          …Secured means of support from own income.- The proofs of income may also be provided by the spouse (you) or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partnership cohabitation.
          They don’t ask for an unlimited contract but you will need to provide a copy of your contract, last payrolls, employer letter (same documents when she ask for her residence permit) + her mini job payrolls too.

• Reply Mk 28/01/2020 at 16:17

Hi, do we have to submit A1 certificate as well ? If we apply for a PR after 33 months?
    And what do they ask usually at the center during the meeting?

P.s – Great page!! Well done mate.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/01/2020 at 15:08

Hey MK. As mentioned in the list of documents, you also need to submit a language certificate yes. The meeting with your Beamter can go different ways, it’s a case by case basis really.

• Reply Alex 28/01/2020 at 09:06

My name is Alex and have opened bussiness here in Germany having permanent residence of other Shengen country .My bussiness is going to 3rd year now but the immigration office asked me to leave the country and I don’t stay in German for long I always used to go out every month from German .So what are the things should I do to stay in German with out changing my previous Shenzhen permanent residence.
    Thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/01/2020 at 15:22

Hey Alex. I don’t have specific advice to offer you. I suggest you contact a specialist regarding this matter.

• Reply William Cook 24/01/2020 at 11:57

Typically, how long does it take to receive your residency card after your application? I don’t live in Berlin (I live in Bonn), but I was hoping there’s a general rule of thumb (e.g. 3-6 weeks after your application).

• Reply Alejandra 20/01/2020 at 14:01

Hello, I have a question about the German language test. Do you know which is a “valid” certificate? I know TestDaf and the Goethe Institut exams are good choices (but also expensive). Do you know if a Unicert certificate will do? Or something more informal like the certificate of completion of a course in a language school?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/01/2020 at 09:56

Hey Alejandra. I would stick to a recognized 3rd party certificate, in doubt, you may also ask Unicert directly.

• Reply LAKSHMI 16/01/2020 at 12:12

Thanks for the artical. I have a question regarding Germany permanent residence Permit. I have EU Blue Card. But when I am applying for EU Blue Card, the visa Officer told me that my salary must rise every year according to the EU Blue Card Standards. Then only they will accept my application when I apply for Permanent Resident Permit. That means for example if a Person got EU Blue Card in Sep, 2018 with Minimum salary for example 40000 EUR, then in the next year i.e., from January, 2019 the Minimum salary increased to for example 42000 EUR, then that Person salary also should increase to 42000 EUR from january. So, is this true?. Because I cound not find any Website about it saying this.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/01/2020 at 09:23

Hey Lakshmi, this is interesting. I have also never seen that anywhere before. I guess the logic holds; if your salary is right at the strict minimum set for the blue card this year, it should also meet that standard next year too for all conditions to be fulfilled then as well. I don’t have a source to support this though. Let me know if you find something.

• Reply Ana 14/01/2020 at 00:59

I have a question. I know that during the period of having a job visa, ones job is always linked to the university degree. My question now is. If I get a settlement permit, am I allowed to stay in Germany if I want to study or change the job background? Example. Having a degree in economics and wanting to change to a job that has nothing to do with it. Or to start over and study something new after those 5 years working.
    Would really appreciate the info, haven’t been able to find anything.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/01/2020 at 09:31

Hey Ana. In my opinion, there is nothing speaking against that. As a permanent residence permit holder, you are free to change job and specialties as you wish.

• Reply Andie 09/01/2020 at 16:34

Hello, thanks for the article. I am a graduate of a German university and have already worked in Germany for 1 year (have a work permit). Now, I am planning to leave Germany to a different EU country (Sweden) to do a 1-year long Master’s program. In one year, I am thinking to come back and start working at a different company in Germany. I will then have worked for 2 years by that time. Will I then qualify for a permanent residency in Germany or I must work in Germany after graduation and pay pension contributions for 24 consecutive months (without leaving/changing residencies)?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/01/2020 at 10:00

Hey Andie. You may want to check with a specialist but i can’t read anywhere that it should 24 consecutive months.

• Reply Sal 09/01/2020 at 15:37

Great article, thank you!
    I have a small question:
    I currently have the Blue Card, have Graduated from a german university and earn a good salary. I have been living in Germany for 5 years so basically i fill all the requirements except the language certificate. I do speak German at an acceptable level, but I didn’t get the B1 certificate. Is there still a chance I might get the permanent residency or I should pass the test first?
    thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/01/2020 at 09:55

Hey Sal. You need a B1 certificate as proof so yes, pass the test first.

• Reply Cal 06/01/2020 at 17:00

Thanks for the article. I have a question regarding EU permanent residence permit. Once one attains the German permanent residency permit using the shorter route with Blue Card, can he/she convert that to a EU permanent residence permit later on? What is the procedure?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/01/2020 at 09:53

Hey Cal. You can apply for for EU residence if you have legally lived in Germany for at least five years. can support yourself and your family members to make a living. have a sufficient command of German and basic knowledge of the legal and social system and way of life in Germany. have sufficient living space for yourself and your family. have paid the compulsory or voluntary contributions to statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months. Source. and more info here.

• Reply Azam 13/01/2020 at 12:24

Hi I have A2 I can talking like B1 can somebody with A2 apply to this Titel

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/01/2020 at 09:18

Hey Azam. You need a B1 certificate, A2 is not sufficient.

• Reply Nigar Zahan 04/12/2019 at 22:16

Hi! It was a very clear article, thanks for that. I have 2 questions
    1. Does part time job with social contribution counts in 60 months ? I started working during masters study but I was paying all contributions
    2. Can I apply for a PR if I have a limited contract job with EU blue card? The time I’ll be eligible for PR apply I’ll have 6 months left of my job contract. In this case should I wait until I find another job then apply?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/12/2019 at 00:34

Hey Nigar. 1. Yes. 2. Not sure. You may want to call this official hotline for confirmation.

• Reply Bobby 03/11/2019 at 13:14

Hey,

Great article and really informative! I have a question about what happens AFTER you get your permanent settlement permit in Germany. It says that the holder cannot leave Germany for more than 6 months without forfeiting their permanent residency, but what is leave defined as, and is it 6 months of total annual leave or six months of consecutive leave? If someone traveled from Germany to Italy for 3 months and then went home to Germany for a week, and then to Spain for 3 months, and then back to Germany and over to France for 3 months, does that invalidate the German permanent residency?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/11/2019 at 09:45

Hey Bobby. That is a great question. Thanks for asking it. If i trust this page, i would say we are talking about 6 months after doing an Abmeldung and leaving the country right?

• Reply James Loke 21/10/2019 at 20:50

I have a few questions regarding the German PR application with applicaiton made in Berlin. After reading this page and the requirements from Ausländerbehörde (https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/326556/), can you clarify the following.
    1. Do I just send a photocopy of the documents (e.g. passports, Blue Card) etc, and not the physical passport etc to Ausländerbehörde? I believe this is the case, just incase it gets lost through transit.
    2. How can I prove my retirement provision? Would the contributions which are shown on my past 6months payslip be sufficient?
    3. Do I send all the required documents to Ausländerbehörde by normal Post? It is not clear which address should I post it to.
    4. Lastly, do you recommend an immigration consultant to help with preparing all this for me so I don’t make any mistakes. If so, which one would you recommend.

Loke

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/10/2019 at 22:07

Hey James. 1- You enclose copies of the docs, as mentioned on the page. 2- As mentioned on the page, the Bescheinigung you get from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung is a good start. 3- by post yes, the location for PR is the one on Kaplerstr. 4. Can’t make any recommendation here. sorry. Good luck.

• Reply Akash Choudhary 20/01/2020 at 12:14

This article incl comments made everything easier. However I ahem question.
        I don’t see the option for ‘Niederlassungserlaubnis’ on the online appointment form ‘https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/en/services/appointments/#book’

Do I have to take my documents there personally?

Akash

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/01/2020 at 09:45

Hey Akash. Application for permanent residence have to be done in writing. You can then be notified of an appointment.

• Reply Moha Ye 19/09/2019 at 16:53

hi, Like always very informative, thank you, If you remember before coming Berlin , I wrote you an email, happy to see that you are still very active, I studied in Germany, I have B1 Deutsch, now I worked with BLUE CARD, On April 2020, I will be exactly 5 years in Germany and 1 yeas with Blue card, can I apply for permanent resident permit since I will 5 years in Germany (it is actually sooner than my Blue card time ) ,the next question, what would you imagine for someone who studied sociology in FU Berlin, a friend of mine is studied looking for the job ,any hint would be appreciated.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/09/2019 at 16:27

Hey Moha. I’m not sure what is the sense of your question here? Could you elaborate?

• Reply Mohamed Abozeid 12/09/2019 at 11:32

HI, I do thank you for those valuable formation and the great work and efforts behind it
    I have question regarding the citizenship
    if someone on Blue card residency, and he got the permanent residency after 21 months, can he apply for the Citizenship at the 60th month? or he had to wait tell total 6 years to pass?