Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Update 11.04.2020: Due to the current Corona situation, the Anmeldung can often not be processed in person. Most cities in Germany won’t accept to do this via email/post/phone (eg: Berlin), but some will do (eg: Düsseldorf, Bremen). You will need to contact your local Bürgeramt in your own district and see what ways they offer. Requests will be handled on a case by case basis, and probably only urgent ones will be processed. Good luck!

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

• Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Bürgeramt, Bürgerbüro, or Kundezentrum?

This post was originally meant to be read by Berliners only, thus only the term Bürgeramt was used here. However, since people from everywhere in Germany are reading this, it’s worthwhile to say that it’s called differently in other parts of the country. So check the local lingo. 🙂 Those terms can be used interchangeably in this post.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to Appmeldung, which lets you do exactly that for Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich. Disclaimer: Appmeldung was built by the guy behind SiB.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt, fast?

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times (For Berlin, use this link and scroll down). However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before (in Berlin anyway). Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!

Notes

• During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Berlin has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung. Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.

FAQ about the Anmeldung in Germany

I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?

The German administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and/or don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.

I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?

This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.

Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.

Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket. You may also want to go to less busy offices. See the next question.

Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirk where i live?

You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner. You’d need to check for other cities in Berlin.

Is there a maximum amount of people that can register in a single living space?

It depends on a few factors and on where you live. In Berlin, the law says that for each adult person, there should be at least 9 sqm, and for kids only 6 sqm. In Bavaria, that is 10 sqm per person over 6 years old, 6 sqm per person under 6 years old.

I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?

Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.

Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg:

Heerstr.
Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.
website

• Reply Helene 24/07/2020 at 17:13

Hi there!
    First off, thank you for all the useful information and time you take to answer all the questions.

I will be in Berlin for 4 months for one semester, then relocating to another EU country the following semester. For the 4 month I am staying in Berlin, I am planning on visiting my home country (also an EU member) maybe once or twice, as it is close by.
    Would I be able to get away with not registering, as I am leaving for a short period and therefore my stay will not be 4 months consecutively?
    I would prefer not having to move my address from my home country, seeing that it would make my insurance situation a lot easier.

Thanks again!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/07/2020 at 21:43

Hey Helene. I can’t really tell you what you could get away this since it depends on what you want to achieve here, during your time in Germany. You seem to be aware of the possible consequences though. Depends on what your university says for example. Can’t answer that question for you i’m afraid.

• Reply Emmanuel Confalonieri 24/07/2020 at 10:03

Hello ! How many people can register in an address ? Is it about m2? Or amount of rooms ?

Thanks !

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/07/2020 at 21:33

Hey Emmanuel. As this is Germany, it depends on a few factors and on where you live. In Berlin, the law says that for each adult person, there should be at least 9sqm. for Kids only 6sqm, but it may be 6sqm or 4sqm for kids, if the common shared rooms are big enough. Source.

• Reply Rejkard 22/07/2020 at 16:29

Hi, after I registred what do I do? They send a document or something else that shows prrof of it? Like some kind of ID? I wanted a contract phone with a Phone Company but they require the Anmeldung info. Help pls

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/07/2020 at 21:18

Hey Rejkard. You obtain a Meldebescheinigung on the spot.

• Reply Mateo 14/07/2020 at 20:06

Hi ! I’m a student that will start studying in Berlin soon. I have a Spanish Residence Permit, and would like to know something.
    I would like to get my anmeldung, but I’m planning to come to the city first in order to find an accommodation. I don’t know if I can get my anmeldung through living in a student residence/coliving place, or if I should mandatorily sublet a studio/room temporarily and talk with the landlord about it. Thanks !

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 16/07/2020 at 10:12

Hey Mateo. Both options are possible. Depends on each place’s policies.

• Reply Katarzyna 19/06/2020 at 19:31

Hello. I have a question regarding anmeldung in the flat rented via wunderflats (for 3 months for now, we plan to stay for good in Berlin). Does the landlord have obligation to provide me with die Wohnungsgeberbestätigung or it is only if he want to? I have read somewhere that in case of short term renting he can refuse. Is that true? Thank you in advance for the answer.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/06/2020 at 10:33

Hey Katarzyna. Wunderflats usually guarantees you can do an Anmeldung with their partner flats. But yes, landlords must provide you with that document.

• Reply Beatriz Salmazzo 04/06/2020 at 18:35

Hi! I’m registered at a friend’s place in Bremen and I’ve got a job in Mannheim for one year. I found a nice apartment there but it’s a sublet and the girl said the landlord won’t sign my registration because of people per quadratmeter. My question is, would it cause me any problems to live and work in a city (and state!) different from the one I am registered?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/06/2020 at 17:09

Hey Beatriz. No, that is not a problem.

• Reply Evie 26/05/2020 at 12:02

Hi Bastien ! One question, maybe you know the answer. I have a subletting contract contract with my flatmate (he is the Hauptmieter). Right now its 3 days before termination and we will renew it, but still waiting for the answer from Hausverwlatung. Is it a problem to stay registered somewhere, when you do not have an actual contract for a flat? Thanks

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/05/2020 at 13:10

Hey Evie. You’d have to ask a Beamter for the exact response but nobody at the Bürgeramt will check if the hauptmieter contract has run out, if you are already registered. In theory, the Hauptmieter bares the legal risks i assume.

• Reply Chunlong Liu 17/05/2020 at 16:53

Hi Thor. Thank you very much for your very comprehensive introduction on how to setting in Berlin. Because now I am doing a postdoc in Spain with a Spanish visa (Valid until February, 2021), I could go to Berlin without a German visa. Do you know whether I can (1) register with the local authorities (ANMELDUNG), and (2) obtain residence permit, if I don’t have a German visa? According to the requirement of registration and obtaining residence permit in the document, I don’t need the Germany visa to do these two administration process. Or should I ask the German Embassy in Spain about this question?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/05/2020 at 09:52

Hey Chunlong. I would double check with them because it may depend on your specific case as well. The only comment i would have is that it might be risky to move here before having a more permanent residence permit because you might be rejected in the first place.

• Reply Margarita Sanders 16/05/2020 at 09:35

Hi all. I have an enquiry.I tried to find relevant info on the internet but no luck. I moved to a new apartment in Berlin from Stuttgart and the main tenant made the document that needs to filed to the Registry office for the registration. He also sent the sub-letting contract to the landlord.
    However, he left the moving date blank, for me to fill in because I was going to move later, which I did. My question is, the date on the contract is different from the date I moved in (I moved 3 months later), and from what I read, at the Registry Office they do not require the contract. Will I have a legal problem because of the date difference? Does anybody submit the contract to the Registry Office? They will know when I go to register that I rent the apartment 3 months prior? Many thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/05/2020 at 09:50

Hey Margarita. You don’t need to worry about this. You’re fine.

• Reply Daniel 26/04/2020 at 01:53

I came to Germany from a non European country though I am having Lithuania work visa D, I have gotten an apartment where I will put my address here in Germany, I am a medical graduate and I intent to live and work in Germany, my question is, will I be allowed to look for job once I have an address?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/04/2020 at 20:00

Hey Daniel. Err, yes? I don’t get the question?

• Reply Alex 06/04/2020 at 19:11

Thank you for the very useful article.

Could you kindly give me some clarification on this situation?
    Basically I was already registered and working two years ago in Germany and then left and “abgemeldet”.
    Now I came back and found a job in a different city. Do I need to restart the procedure all from zero or are my Taxsteuernummer and Renteversicherungsnummer still valid? Should I just do the anmeldung and krankenversicherung and that’s it right?

Thank you for your patience and wish you a great day.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/04/2020 at 20:40

Hey Alex. If you are talking about your Identifikationsnummer, then yes, it will stay the same. Also your Renteverischerungsnummer. Your Steuernummer might change but you will get a new one from your local Finanzamt if that is the case.

• Reply Suzanne 03/04/2020 at 12:55

I have my anmeldung at my first apartment, i recently moved to a new apartment. do i need to do my registration all over again or can i just change the address

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/04/2020 at 21:04

Hey Suzanne. New address = you need to do an Ummeldung/New Anmeldung.

• Reply Maram Salem 02/04/2020 at 14:25

Thank you for the valuable information. Do you know if I should do another Anmeldung if I moved to a different apartment In the same building?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/04/2020 at 20:58

Hey Maram. I don’t know for sure. I think it’s not necessary.

• Reply MIAOU 31/03/2020 at 07:20

Hey there,

Thanks for what you doing here.
    Here the story;
    I used to live here in Berlin in the past and left without pay BVG fines. ( i know )
    Now im back here have a job a flat but my steurnummer is ‘desactivated’ as ive been abmelden from my last flat when i left it.
    Im taxed 25 percent tax level 6 but im a bit scared to do the anmeldung and the police show up because of the fines that must be crazy expensive now.

Sorry to ask for this, everybody do mistakes,

Thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/04/2020 at 20:51

Hey Mael. I don’t see any question but i assume you are asking about the likelihood of the police or collection agency finding you if you do an anmeldung. In short: i don’t know.

• Reply Martha 25/03/2020 at 00:11

My boyfriend signed a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and I received a Meldebestätigung so I could move in his apartment and register his address as mine. What type of notice of termination applies to me in case my boyfriend wants me to move out? How many days do I lawfully get to move out?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/03/2020 at 20:57

Hey Martha. That belongs to tenancy law. Landlords need to abide by a 3 months notice period if you have living in the place for less than 5 years. If 5-8 years, it’s 6 months.

• Reply Zeeshan moin 22/03/2020 at 05:52

We are 5 people staying in an apartment. 4 of them have anmeldung done. One was supposed to leave when I moved in. But now due to some issue he is not moving out for now and not sure how long he gonna be here. I dont have anmeldung. And some say not more than 4 can have it on same address. So my question is can each of us (5 persons) have anmeldung for the same address..?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/03/2020 at 20:49

Hey Zeeshan. There is a theoretical limit of sqm per head in a given flat, but that will not be checked at the Bürgeramt.

• Reply lalala 18/03/2020 at 07:54

Thanks for the article! I have recently moved to Germany for the second time. Last time I lived here I did anmeldung and abmeldung in one of the amts. Do I need to go back to the same one to do anmeldung again? Thanks in advance.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/03/2020 at 21:49

• Reply Elsie 27/03/2020 at 20:40

Thanks for your amazing work with this site!

Have you heard of any ways to register at a new address from overseas? I’m in the UK and unable to get back because of C-19, but need to de-register from my old place and register at the new one…

I know I could just do a straightforward abmeldung, but as a Brit, worried that this will affect chances of staying in Germany because of Brexit implications…

anyway, just in case you’d heard of a way round this.

thanks and hope you’re ok!

• Reply Shah 19/02/2020 at 19:48

I have a question. I was living in Bielefeld until November last year. Then I moved to Stuttgart (temporarily) in December 2019 but I did not register myself here ( I shall be here only up til April). I also sublet-ted my apartment to someone, who registered himself. Now the question is: Since he has done his Anmeldung, does that automatically de-registers me from that apartment. Secondly, will it cause any troubles for me when I go back there in April and re-register myself there? I hope you got what I am trying to ask here!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/02/2020 at 17:55

Hey Shah. 1. No, you still live there as far as everybody is concerned. 2. If you never deregistered, no need to re-register probably.

• Reply Rhea 19/02/2020 at 15:30

Hey Bastien!

Thanks for all the help. I’m heading to Neubrandenburg next month for my master’s degree and will be living in the student accommodation. Do I have to redo my Anmeldung every time my room number changes throughout my course?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/02/2020 at 17:52

Hey Rhea. I think it probably depends where you get your mail/post from. If you have one mail box per room number, then yes, it might be necessary.

• Reply Lilian 03/02/2020 at 17:05

Hello Bastien, thank you very much for this website, always a source of valuable information!
    My question is this: I am moving out of Germany for one year but for taxation reasons I was advised by the personal department of my job to keep my residency here, otherwise I’ll be put in Steuerklasse 6 (not good). A college is willing to let me put my residency in his place (as well as the landlord), but I was wondering if I can do the change of address (which is the anmeldung again right?) a few days before actually leaving the country, because, well, I’ll no longer be here! Thank you very much again and all the best!

Lilian

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/02/2020 at 21:31

Hey Lilian. I don’t really get the question? if you are doing little white lies for tax reasons, why bother about the date this is all starting? As far as Germany is concerned, you will never leave the country.

• Reply Lilian 04/02/2020 at 09:45

Thank you Bastien! Yeah, I think you are right, after all a couple of days are not the real problem in my case…
        Thank you again and carry on!

• Reply Adrian Gamble 16/02/2020 at 06:04

Hello what is the purpose of a stauernummer?

• Reply Teddy 05/03/2020 at 20:04

Hey Bastien, thanks for a job well done… Kindly advice, am on a tourist visa, got a job offer in Bremen that requires my expertise but was told I need am Anmeldung before the contract can be processed

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/03/2020 at 21:22

Hey Teddy. You can read the post about the work visa in Germany here. Since you already have a job offer, that will make the process easier though.

• Reply Jane 29/01/2020 at 10:55

Thanks for the helpful information. I have a situation like this: I registered my address 11 months ago and now I am going to leave that address and go to my home country for 3 months. After 3 months I need to come again to Germany for some exams and will stay at my friend’s place without registration for one month. After that will leave Germany permanently. So, my question is: Can it be the problem to live without ummeldung that one month? And will it be a problem when I leave the country?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/01/2020 at 15:26

Hey Jane. I suppose you will do an Abmeldung because you leave the country permanently. You won’t be a German resident anymore. In that case when you come back, you could probably considered as a tourist in Germany for that time?

• Reply Jane 29/01/2020 at 22:08

No, actually I’ll be considered as a student, because I have a registration at the university. And I’ll come for one month for final exams. So, therefore I think I cannot do an Abmeldung. What can happen if I just leave my address (without notifying the Burgeramt), go to my country and come back for exams( staying at my friend’s home without any registration)?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/02/2020 at 14:54

Hey Jane. I think you can understand the consequences of that. I cannot give you advice on what to do in that case, as it may impact things i am not aware of. Sorry.

• Reply trik bermain judi 05/01/2020 at 20:55

This site really has all the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t
    know who to ask.

• Reply Mervin 03/01/2020 at 20:26

Magnificent site. Lots of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thanks on your effort!

• Reply Spe 29/12/2019 at 08:22

Good morning, one question. I didn’t have Anmeldung for one year and three months and now I will go do the registration. I will have to pay a fine?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/12/2019 at 15:35

Hey Spe. In theory, this is what should happen yes. I can’t say what will happen in practice.

• Reply Han 16/12/2019 at 19:14

Hey, great website! I’ve been trying to find this out and I’m hoping you might have some insight (at least on who to contact): I am a foreign resident in Germany, but will be doing my thesis abroad. Because it’ll take 6 months, I’ll be moving out of my current apartment, and not getting a new one til I come back. Should I do the Abmeldung when I leave? I just don’t know where they’ll send my official mail for 6 months if I do. There doesn’t seem to be a system in place for temporarily living abroad and not having a German address while you do it.

• Reply Paulo 10/12/2019 at 13:13

I did the anmeldung one month ago, however i didn´t receive the tax number at my address because i didn´t put my name in the mailbox since I just moved in. Where can i get my tax number?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/12/2019 at 00:09

Hey Paulo. Have you seen this post?

• Reply Joseph C 25/11/2019 at 12:44

Thanks for all your amazingly helpful content! I am already living in Berlin, and registered here, and a tax resident here. I am about to move to another EU country and become a tax resident there, but I will keep the apartment I own in Berlin, and come here frequently. I assume I need to do my abmeldung, and of course remove myself as a tax resident. Do you know if there are any issues with this (will there be problems with my utilities, or internet accounts, or some other thing I have not thought of). Any helpful info you have greatly appreciated!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/11/2019 at 09:57

Hey Joseph. I’m no property expert but i assume you will still be liable for local property taxes and other general building maintenance costs. As for the rest, since you won’t use internet, utilities, etc, there is probably nothing else to think of.

• Reply Ansh Dhawan 21/11/2019 at 10:45

Hello there, great tips. Just one question can i get the anmeldung done before my move in date. I have the contract and move in.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/11/2019 at 12:39

Hey Ansh. No.

• Reply Allie 15/11/2019 at 17:41

Hello! I’m moving to Berlin in January to live with my boyfriend. He has a very old apartment contract from the GDR. His parents moved out of the apartment last year but did not inform the landlord (he was living there as a child when they registered 40+ years ago.) He is registered at the address, but he is afraid that if he tells the landlord i’m moving in that the landlord will realize the original tennants are gone and would make my boyfriend renegotiate his contract (making his rent much higher.) Is this a legitimate fear in your opinion? And would I be able to get anmeldung without talking to the landlord?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/11/2019 at 11:58

Hey Allie. Anmeldung requires the knowledge of the landlord as they need to fill in that document, as listed in the post. If the contract has effectively ended, the landlord may have the right to rise the rent, within a certain limit.

• Reply T 24/10/2019 at 15:13

Hi! I am living at a friend’s place in Berlin and have been registered there since June. The landlord is aware that I’m there, but since I’m not on the main lease they got snippy about the fact that we put my name on the mailbox, and after some heated back-and-forth my friend no longer wants to make a fuss. SO my name got taken off the box a couple of months ago and now I’m having a hard time getting mail — specifically, necessary mail from ELSTER and other tax stuff (I received my Tax-ID before my name was removed). For most things like health insurance I just give my address as “c/o friends name,” but since that’s not on my original registration, that doesn’t work for government mail.

The ELSTER office told me I can add “c/o friends name” directly at the Bürgeramt so I went ahead and made an appointment. Things I’ve seen online seem to back up that people have done a “c/o” with their original registration. Does anybody know whether I have to submit an ENTIRELY new registration with a new paperwork and wohnungsgeberbestätigung (the Bürgeramt kept the original and I dread asking for a new one given the situation), or if there’s an easier way to make the modification? Again, I didn’t actually move apartments. I barely speak German so calling and asking will be… tough. Getting this far has already been a massive headache.

• Reply Mary Anne Della Fera 06/10/2019 at 22:16

Hi Bastien, do I have to bring proof of medical insurance for the Anmendung? I’m an Italian citizen covered by EHIC and I’ll be in Germany a few months, but my residency will remain in Italy (for now).

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/10/2019 at 23:06

Hey Mary. It’s not needed.

• Reply Nancy 06/10/2019 at 15:31

Hi! Thanks so much for this post and your website in general, it’s so helpful!

I have arrived in Berlin, found a flat, and have my Anmeldung appointment booked for a few weeks time (though I will probably try to get one earlier through cancellation as you suggest). I also have a job lined as a childminder. When I’m at the appointment can I request a tax number without having health insurance? And at what point / in what circumstances would I have to prove that I have health insurance?

I will be getting health insurance, but as myself and my employers haven’t decided yet whether it would be best to work for then under a mini job, midi job, or on a freelance / self employed basis, it isn’t clear which health insurance I should go with yet. However, I know that the process of getting health insurance itself can take a long time, so I’m wondering whether I should try and get health insurance before my Anmeldung appointment so that I can a tax number (if health insurance is a prerequisite of getting a tax number).

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/10/2019 at 23:05

Hey Nancy. You don’t an health insurance certificate to get a tax number.

• Reply Tom 29/09/2019 at 19:24

Hi what is the cost to register for anmelding please

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/09/2019 at 22:52

No cost.

• Reply Spoorthi 14/09/2019 at 18:27

I will be sharing the house with three other tenants. The landlord has provided only one copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. So, during the anmeldung appointment, is the copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung collected by Bürgeramt for each tenant? Or can we all use the same copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung to register? We all have appointments on different days.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/09/2019 at 11:10

Hey Spporthi. Well, if all your names are on that document, you can use that document yes.

• Reply Tammy 08/09/2019 at 11:42

I have my residence permit that is attached to my Husband as it’s his work that brought us here. How can I tell if it allows me to work? I do have a tax number.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/09/2019 at 15:45

Hey Tammy. It should be written somewhere on your permit.

• Reply Emma 02/09/2019 at 01:58

Can I go and register my address later than two weeks? Will any consequence happen? Thank you!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 02/09/2019 at 09:41

Hey Emma. It’s fine to be late if you don’t take months to oblige.

• Reply Richard 29/08/2019 at 17:52

I’m filling in the form now, and just have a few questions;

– Some websites state that to avoid church tax, you should leave the space blank, and some say to put oa = keiner Religionsgesellschaft angehörig. What would be better?
    – Appmeldung put ‘LD’ in the Familienstand field, but the options seem to be 1, oder 1 und 2. I know LD means single, but would it not be better to put 1 then?
    – Should I put my girlfriend who I’ll be living with as Lebenspartner? – I’m unsure whether it means an official civil partnership or similar, or just someone you’ve been living in sin with for the past eight years 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/08/2019 at 09:43

Hey Richard. – In my opinion, OA is better. LD means Ledig (=single), 1 and 2 are just referring to people on the form. Your partnership needs to be registered/official somewhere, whether at home or here in Germany.

• Reply cel 19/08/2019 at 23:49

When you write this “The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months.” what are the conditions for which Anmeldung is not necessary for 6 months?

• Reply Matt 18/08/2019 at 15:52

Great post I found it super helpful. If I am moving to Berlin and I have a German friend in Frankfurt, would I be able to get my anmeldung in Frankfurt using my friend’s address and would it work in Berlin to get my student visa.

Thanks in advance!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/08/2019 at 10:03

Hey Matt. They would probably ask why not making an appointment with the foreigner’s office in Frankfurt, don’t you think?

• Reply Mstt 21/08/2019 at 14:43

Sorry if i misunderstood the reply. but I mean take an appointment in Frankfurt and register an address in Frankfurt. Then when I have it, use it in Berlin to get my residency. Thanks 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/08/2019 at 23:24

Still not sure what you are getting at… An appointment in Frankfurt will be valid in Frankfurt…

• Reply marziyeh 15/08/2019 at 23:34

Hi, i have a question. in the Anmeldung for, there is a box for signature, it i written in it ” unterschrift einer der meldepflichtigen oder einer person mit betreuungsvollmacht” i am not sure if somebody from Burgeramt should sign it or the person who i got the apparent from. i would be thankful if you could guide me

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/08/2019 at 09:46

Hey Mars. You should sign it or person able to officialy represent you.

• Reply Baldeep Grewal 09/08/2019 at 00:22

Hello! Thanks for the article. I have been living in Wuerzburg for year and a half, and my residence permit is attached to my job here. I’ll be moving to Berlin soon for a new job, and will have to apply for a new residence permit. The application requires the city Anmeldung certificate, and I was wondering if I’ll be able to make the Anmeldung even if my Aufenhaltstitel is only valid for Wuerzburg…

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:59

Hey Baldeep. Well it’s valid for Germany right? Not just the city of Wuerzburg?

• Reply Sara 07/08/2019 at 10:53

Great blog!! I have a question – I already registered with the Bürgeramt several years ago and am now just finding work (here as an EXPAT). I need to apply for my Steuernummer but in order to do so I need my Anmeldung form which unfortunately i cannot locate anywhere. What do I need to do in order to just get a copy of the form? Is there a quick way or do I need to go to the Bürgeramt and get one in person? Or do I have to re-apply? Many thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:26

Hey Sara. You’d need to go the Bürgeramt again in person to get a new copy. This might cost you 5€ per copy.

• Reply Sasha 06/08/2019 at 18:16

My German friends are telling me that a simple letter from a friend does not work in 2019 🙁
    Do you think you could check that and update the page? Thank you

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:25

Hey Sasha. You still need the confirmation for the landlord. The letter from a friend is only there to replace a tenancy contract, if you are crashing at their place for free.

• Reply Dane 30/07/2019 at 23:02

Hello Bastien. I’ve been scouring the internet for information about this topic and yours seems to be the most comprehensive so far. Thank you for the great resource of information.
    Here’s my situation: I will be moving to Germany from the US at the end of the year and I’ll be recently retired from the military (though never been stationed in Europe). I’ll want to get a place but have no Schufa and no friends to sublet/stay with once I’m there. Is it possible to find a place that will allow me to start paying rent/build Schufa when I arrive, and then get the Anmeldung once I’m settled in? If I can start looking now, I will. If there’s something in a housing listing that will tell me that, that would be appreciated as well
    Thank you in advance!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/07/2019 at 09:41

Hey Dane. Not sure i get the logic: you first need to register in order to build a Schufa report on you. You can turn to platforms like Wunderflats if you are looking into a easy way to find a temporary solution with the Anmeldung, albeit it’s a little more expensive.

• Reply Marco 18/07/2019 at 01:26

Hi guys, I booked the apartment through the spotahome online platform. The point is that I had to pay for the first month + booking fee and after that I got the contract. In the contract is stated that I can not be registered at that address (Eine Anmeldung und Nutzung als Erst- / Zweitwohnsitz bzw. postalische Korrespondenzanschrift ist nicht gestattet). The contract is for 6 months. I’m wondering is this legal? How can someone rent an accommodation on this way? This is definitely suspicious…

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/07/2019 at 14:12

Hey Marco. This is not legal in most cases, and it’s definitely a blocker for a lot of things you need to do in Germany. Maybe you should consider another place?

• Reply Kris 12/07/2019 at 17:26

I’m from Belgium and about to start a 6-month internship in Berlin. The owner of the room I’m looking at is telling me I can’t have an Anmeldung there, but my internship is within the Erasmus+ program. Do I need one anyway?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 22:03

Hey Kris. I don’t see any connection between those 2 things. You need to register regardless of the reason you live in Germany.

• Reply Kris 14/07/2019 at 17:56

Ah, I thought that maybe because it’s only for 6 months that it wouldn’t be necessary!

• Reply Juliette 20/08/2019 at 11:08

Hi Kris ! I am exactly in the same situation as you are- belgian student going to Berlin for a 4 months internship within Erasmus+ . Did you do the Anmeldung ? Is it a real problem not to do so for such a short period and if my internship is not paid?

• Reply Raquel 03/09/2019 at 23:13

I have the same question: if I’m staying for just 4 months (and I already have a valid student visa), do I really need the Anmeldung? I’m using AirBnb. Please answer me 🙂 Thank you.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/09/2019 at 15:41

Hey Raquel, yes you do.

• Minni 05/03/2020 at 09:42

I don’t know why you’re saying they do, when it really doesn’t make any difference for an EU citizen. I mean technically yes, but in real life def no. No ne will ask, no one can know.

• Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/03/2020 at 21:17

Yes. I quite agree, that’s also what i mention in the post.

• Reply Thor 12/07/2019 at 12:39

Just a note to add to this that it’s not usually possible to register at a friends place or at an Airbnb/hotel/Hostel. Cheers!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 21:58

Hey Thor. Thanks for contributing. Care to quote a source? Where is this coming from? I get the airbnb/hotel/hostel, but why not at a friends place. I want to update my post if it’s really so.

• Reply ernst K Elstermann 10/07/2019 at 13:03

This is a really helpful article thanks! Can anyone tell me what documentation I would need to register at the rathaus if I have a place and am lucky enough to live there rent free.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 21:49

Hey Ernst. If there is no official lease contract, a simple letter from your host would do. You still need a confirmation from the landlord though.

• Reply Raj 30/01/2020 at 02:52

It’s a help post.i have one question. I already make anmeldung but my name Don’t put in a mail box . My anmeldung was done by friend. He fillup bei der meldebehorde form on his name.which name he put on meldebehorde It have on mail box. I will get letter for post office? Or i need to modify the name.like C/O my name

• Reply Roxy 03/07/2019 at 13:50

Thanks for this super helpful article! Do you receive your registration certificate at your appointment?

Or do you have to wait for that in the post too?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/07/2019 at 09:22

Hey. You get it on the spot.

• Reply Olivia 27/06/2019 at 19:31

Hi there, quick question maybe you can help me with. My partner and I have found and signed for an apartment together, and move in 1st Aug. We would like to do the Anmeldung together, and also update the address on our personal ausweiß…do we need to book 4 consecutive termins to get all this done in one visit? Ive heard we can anmeldung together if we book two termins, but not sure about also changing the address on ausweiß. 4 termins seems excessive?
    Many thanks,
    Olivia

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/06/2019 at 22:16

Hey Olivia, i can’t speak for the Ausweis adress. You can use one Termin to register everybody moving at the same adress.

1 6 7 8 9