Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

  • Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to Appmeldung, which lets you do exactly that for Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich. Disclaimer: Appmeldung was built by the guy behind SiB.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt fast

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times (For Berlin, use this link and scroll down). However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before (in Berlin anyway). Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!


  • During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Update February 2016 : The city has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung.
    Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.


  • “I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?”
    The german administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.
  • “I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?”
    This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.
  • “Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment online or when i call is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.”
    Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket.
  • “Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirke where i live?”
    You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner.
  • “I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?”
    Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.


Bürgeramt 1
Yorckstr. 4 – 11, 10965 Berlin, Main Entrance, 3rd Floor

Bürgeramt 2
Schlesische Str. 27 A, 10997 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Frankfurter Allee 35/37, 10247 Berlin, Entrance B


Bürgeramt Rathaus Neukölln
Karl-Marx-Str. 83
12043 Berlin – Neukölln


Bürgeramt 1
Mathilde-Jacob-Platz 1
10551 Berlin

Bürgeramt 2
Karl-Marx-Allee 31
10178 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Müllerstr. 147
13353 Berlin


Rathaus Charlottenburg
Otto-Suhr-Allee 100,
10585 Berlin.

Hohenzollerndamm 177,
10713 Berlin.

Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.


  • Reply Mary Anne Della Fera 06/10/2019 at 22:16

    Hi Bastien, do I have to bring proof of medical insurance for the Anmendung? I’m an Italian citizen covered by EHIC and I’ll be in Germany a few months, but my residency will remain in Italy (for now).

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/10/2019 at 23:06

      Hey Mary. It’s not needed.

  • Reply Nancy 06/10/2019 at 15:31

    Hi! Thanks so much for this post and your website in general, it’s so helpful!

    I have arrived in Berlin, found a flat, and have my Anmeldung appointment booked for a few weeks time (though I will probably try to get one earlier through cancellation as you suggest). I also have a job lined as a childminder. When I’m at the appointment can I request a tax number without having health insurance? And at what point / in what circumstances would I have to prove that I have health insurance?

    I will be getting health insurance, but as myself and my employers haven’t decided yet whether it would be best to work for then under a mini job, midi job, or on a freelance / self employed basis, it isn’t clear which health insurance I should go with yet. However, I know that the process of getting health insurance itself can take a long time, so I’m wondering whether I should try and get health insurance before my Anmeldung appointment so that I can a tax number (if health insurance is a prerequisite of getting a tax number).

    Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/10/2019 at 23:05

      Hey Nancy. You don’t an health insurance certificate to get a tax number.

  • Reply Tom 29/09/2019 at 19:24

    Hi what is the cost to register for anmelding please

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/09/2019 at 22:52

      No cost.

  • Reply Spoorthi 14/09/2019 at 18:27

    I will be sharing the house with three other tenants. The landlord has provided only one copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. So, during the anmeldung appointment, is the copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung collected by Bürgeramt for each tenant? Or can we all use the same copy of Wohnungsgeberbestätigung to register? We all have appointments on different days.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/09/2019 at 11:10

      Hey Spporthi. Well, if all your names are on that document, you can use that document yes.

  • Reply Tammy 08/09/2019 at 11:42

    I have my residence permit that is attached to my Husband as it’s his work that brought us here. How can I tell if it allows me to work? I do have a tax number.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/09/2019 at 15:45

      Hey Tammy. It should be written somewhere on your permit.

  • Reply Emma 02/09/2019 at 01:58

    Can I go and register my address later than two weeks? Will any consequence happen? Thank you!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 02/09/2019 at 09:41

      Hey Emma. It’s fine to be late if you don’t take months to oblige.

  • Reply Richard 29/08/2019 at 17:52


    I’m filling in the form now, and just have a few questions;

    – Some websites state that to avoid church tax, you should leave the space blank, and some say to put oa = keiner Religionsgesellschaft angehörig. What would be better?
    – Appmeldung put ‘LD’ in the Familienstand field, but the options seem to be 1, oder 1 und 2. I know LD means single, but would it not be better to put 1 then?
    – Should I put my girlfriend who I’ll be living with as Lebenspartner? – I’m unsure whether it means an official civil partnership or similar, or just someone you’ve been living in sin with for the past eight years 🙂

    Thanks in advance 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/08/2019 at 09:43

      Hey Richard. – In my opinion, OA is better. LD means Ledig (=single), 1 and 2 are just referring to people on the form. Your partnership needs to be registered/official somewhere, whether at home or here in Germany.

  • Reply cel 19/08/2019 at 23:49

    When you write this “The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months.” what are the conditions for which Anmeldung is not necessary for 6 months?

  • Reply Matt 18/08/2019 at 15:52


    Great post I found it super helpful. If I am moving to Berlin and I have a German friend in Frankfurt, would I be able to get my anmeldung in Frankfurt using my friend’s address and would it work in Berlin to get my student visa.

    Thanks in advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/08/2019 at 10:03

      Hey Matt. They would probably ask why not making an appointment with the foreigner’s office in Frankfurt, don’t you think?

      • Reply Mstt 21/08/2019 at 14:43

        Sorry if i misunderstood the reply. but I mean take an appointment in Frankfurt and register an address in Frankfurt. Then when I have it, use it in Berlin to get my residency. Thanks 🙂

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/08/2019 at 23:24

          Still not sure what you are getting at… An appointment in Frankfurt will be valid in Frankfurt…

  • Reply marziyeh 15/08/2019 at 23:34

    Hi, i have a question. in the Anmeldung for, there is a box for signature, it i written in it ” unterschrift einer der meldepflichtigen oder einer person mit betreuungsvollmacht” i am not sure if somebody from Burgeramt should sign it or the person who i got the apparent from. i would be thankful if you could guide me

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/08/2019 at 09:46

      Hey Mars. You should sign it or person able to officialy represent you.

  • Reply Baldeep Grewal 09/08/2019 at 00:22

    Hello! Thanks for the article. I have been living in Wuerzburg for year and a half, and my residence permit is attached to my job here. I’ll be moving to Berlin soon for a new job, and will have to apply for a new residence permit. The application requires the city Anmeldung certificate, and I was wondering if I’ll be able to make the Anmeldung even if my Aufenhaltstitel is only valid for Wuerzburg…

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:59

      Hey Baldeep. Well it’s valid for Germany right? Not just the city of Wuerzburg?

  • Reply Sara 07/08/2019 at 10:53

    Great blog!! I have a question – I already registered with the Bürgeramt several years ago and am now just finding work (here as an EXPAT). I need to apply for my Steuernummer but in order to do so I need my Anmeldung form which unfortunately i cannot locate anywhere. What do I need to do in order to just get a copy of the form? Is there a quick way or do I need to go to the Bürgeramt and get one in person? Or do I have to re-apply? Many thanks!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:26

      Hey Sara. You’d need to go the Bürgeramt again in person to get a new copy. This might cost you 5€ per copy.

  • Reply Sasha 06/08/2019 at 18:16

    My German friends are telling me that a simple letter from a friend does not work in 2019 🙁
    Do you think you could check that and update the page? Thank you

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/08/2019 at 16:25

      Hey Sasha. You still need the confirmation for the landlord. The letter from a friend is only there to replace a tenancy contract, if you are crashing at their place for free.

  • Reply Dane 30/07/2019 at 23:02

    Hello Bastien. I’ve been scouring the internet for information about this topic and yours seems to be the most comprehensive so far. Thank you for the great resource of information.
    Here’s my situation: I will be moving to Germany from the US at the end of the year and I’ll be recently retired from the military (though never been stationed in Europe). I’ll want to get a place but have no Schufa and no friends to sublet/stay with once I’m there. Is it possible to find a place that will allow me to start paying rent/build Schufa when I arrive, and then get the Anmeldung once I’m settled in? If I can start looking now, I will. If there’s something in a housing listing that will tell me that, that would be appreciated as well
    Thank you in advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/07/2019 at 09:41

      Hey Dane. Not sure i get the logic: you first need to register in order to build a Schufa report on you. You can turn to platforms like Wunderflats if you are looking into a easy way to find a temporary solution with the Anmeldung, albeit it’s a little more expensive.

  • Reply Marco 18/07/2019 at 01:26

    Hi guys, I booked the apartment through the spotahome online platform. The point is that I had to pay for the first month + booking fee and after that I got the contract. In the contract is stated that I can not be registered at that address (Eine Anmeldung und Nutzung als Erst- / Zweitwohnsitz bzw. postalische Korrespondenzanschrift ist nicht gestattet). The contract is for 6 months. I’m wondering is this legal? How can someone rent an accommodation on this way? This is definitely suspicious…

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/07/2019 at 14:12

      Hey Marco. This is not legal in most cases, and it’s definitely a blocker for a lot of things you need to do in Germany. Maybe you should consider another place?

  • Reply Kris 12/07/2019 at 17:26


    I’m from Belgium and about to start a 6-month internship in Berlin. The owner of the room I’m looking at is telling me I can’t have an Anmeldung there, but my internship is within the Erasmus+ program. Do I need one anyway?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 22:03

      Hey Kris. I don’t see any connection between those 2 things. You need to register regardless of the reason you live in Germany.

      • Reply Kris 14/07/2019 at 17:56

        Ah, I thought that maybe because it’s only for 6 months that it wouldn’t be necessary!

    • Reply Juliette 20/08/2019 at 11:08

      Hi Kris ! I am exactly in the same situation as you are- belgian student going to Berlin for a 4 months internship within Erasmus+ . Did you do the Anmeldung ? Is it a real problem not to do so for such a short period and if my internship is not paid?

      • Reply Raquel 03/09/2019 at 23:13

        I have the same question: if I’m staying for just 4 months (and I already have a valid student visa), do I really need the Anmeldung? I’m using AirBnb. Please answer me 🙂 Thank you.

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/09/2019 at 15:41

          Hey Raquel, yes you do.

  • Reply Thor 12/07/2019 at 12:39

    Just a note to add to this that it’s not usually possible to register at a friends place or at an Airbnb/hotel/Hostel. Cheers!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 21:58

      Hey Thor. Thanks for contributing. Care to quote a source? Where is this coming from? I get the airbnb/hotel/hostel, but why not at a friends place. I want to update my post if it’s really so.

  • Reply ernst K Elstermann 10/07/2019 at 13:03

    This is a really helpful article thanks! Can anyone tell me what documentation I would need to register at the rathaus if I have a place and am lucky enough to live there rent free.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/07/2019 at 21:49

      Hey Ernst. If there is no official lease contract, a simple letter from your host would do. You still need a confirmation from the landlord though.

  • Reply Roxy 03/07/2019 at 13:50

    Thanks for this super helpful article! Do you receive your registration certificate at your appointment?

    Or do you have to wait for that in the post too?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/07/2019 at 09:22

      Hey. You get it on the spot.

  • Reply Olivia 27/06/2019 at 19:31

    Hi there, quick question maybe you can help me with. My partner and I have found and signed for an apartment together, and move in 1st Aug. We would like to do the Anmeldung together, and also update the address on our personal ausweiß…do we need to book 4 consecutive termins to get all this done in one visit? Ive heard we can anmeldung together if we book two termins, but not sure about also changing the address on ausweiß. 4 termins seems excessive?
    Many thanks,

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/06/2019 at 22:16

      Hey Olivia, i can’t speak for the Ausweis adress. You can use one Termin to register everybody moving at the same adress.

    1 6 7 8

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.