Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

• Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to Appmeldung, which lets you do exactly that for Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich. Disclaimer: Appmeldung was built by the guy behind SiB.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt fast

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times (For Berlin, use this link and scroll down). However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before (in Berlin anyway). Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!

Notes

• During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Update February 2016 : The city has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung.
    Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.

• “I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?”
    The german administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.
  • “I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?”
    This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.
  • “Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment online or when i call is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.”
    Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket.
  • “Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirke where i live?”
    You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner.
  • “I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?”
    Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.

Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg:

website

Heerstr.
Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.
website

• Reply Sean 26/06/2019 at 19:33

Hi there, how quickly does the anmeldung get approved? Will I walk out of the appointment with the apartment registration, or will it arrive later in the mail? I am asking because I am trying to figure out when I can schedule an appointment to apply for a visa. Same for the tax ID number, will they give me the card that same day or will it come later? Thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/06/2019 at 22:22

Hey Sean. You walk out with the right paper and a big fat stamp on it.

• Reply Mariana Martinelli 17/06/2019 at 18:05

Hello!
    Your blog really helps us, thank you!
    I’m brazilian moving to germany.
    My husband will move in July, I’ll go with him but 15 days after I back to Brazil. My definitive trip will be in December.
    One question: Does he need to get mine anmeldung with his in July or I schedule my own appointment in December?

thank a lot!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/06/2019 at 11:23

Hey Mariana. You won’t be a German resident until December so it makes sense to have your own appointment.

• Reply Yayaz 13/06/2019 at 12:47

Hi. I am doing my internship in Göttingen for 11 weeks and I wanted to get the Anmeldung from the Bürgeramt, but they told me my visa type is a travel type and does not allow it. It is a C type visa, but it is clearly written on the visa that I am here for the internship. I need the Anmeldung to open a bank account to get my salary. What should I do?
    (i came from Mongolia)

P.S. I have a friend who lives in Aachen and got the document with the C type of visa. Is it different in other locations?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/06/2019 at 17:24

Hey Yayaz. I am as confused as you. Can you not use your bank account from back home?

• Reply Tyler Drogin 12/06/2019 at 11:59

Hello! Thank you for the information. In the post you mentioned that if we are subletting all we need is a letter from the person we are subletting from (“A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register.”). However, later on in the post you say that we will need both the letter from the friend as well as the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. Is the letter (or sublease, in my case) sufficient, or do we also need the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/06/2019 at 11:49

Hey Tyler. I just mean that this letter can replace a formal tenancy contract. A Wohnungsgeberbestätigung is always required.

• Reply Toto 10/06/2019 at 16:53

Hello, I’m a student who’s already been in Berlin. I had my anmeldung and I have a bank account/insurance/phone number but when I left I did my Abmeldung.
    I have to be back from September till April but I won’t be there permanently. Do I have to do my Anmeldung again as I see no real use for it.

Best,
    Toto

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/06/2019 at 15:55

Hey Toto. Can’t really answer for you there. In practical terms, it depends of course. In legal terms, if you are not a tourist residing less than 3 months, you should register.

• Reply Omar Esam 03/06/2019 at 13:21

Hello I have been registered in Berlin for the past 2 years now and my wife is applying for a family reunion visa that requires an anmeldung proof that’s not older than 3 months. Is there a way to get a document like that? Can I book an appointment for it? (preferrable) If yes is it the same as the anmeldung appointment? do I need different documents to get it or just my original anmeldung.
    Thanks a lot for the taking the time to write such useful posts and answering people’s questions!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/06/2019 at 20:54

Hey Omar. You can book an appointment to request a copy of your Meldebescheinigung, which can cost a few euros (5€ in Berlin for example). Same as a normal anmeldung appointment. I suppose you can also show up and take a ticket in line. Your original Meldebescheinigung and some piece of ID should do it.

• Reply Lia 30/05/2019 at 17:47

Hi, my subtenant is not moving out of my flat, even after an expulsion process of 3 months. Can I de-register her from my flat at the end of the month or she needs to do it. How should I proceed with that?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/06/2019 at 09:58

Hey Lia. I think this is privilege only reserved to landlords/Hausverwaltung. You may want to get in touch with them to do that.

• Reply Antoine 30/05/2019 at 01:25

Hello there. Thank you for the great resource of information.
    My question: I will be moving with my family to Germany from the US. We will arrive around July 12th 2019. We have found a house to rent starting August 15th 2019, and will be staying in a temporary housing in the meantime. Can I do the Anmeldung as soon as I arrive in Germany in July, showing my future rental contract, or does it have to be after the start date of my rental contract (after August 15th)?
    Thank you in advance!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/06/2019 at 14:58

Hey Antoine. You can only register after the first day of the rental contract. Alternatively, you can first register at your temporary address if possible, and then register again at the permanent address. Not sure if worth the effort.

• Reply Rupali 25/05/2019 at 00:13

Hey
    I was registered in Leipzig for last 2 years but I left my last apartment almost 80 days ago and have not registered on a new address but I will do in a week. Is it OK or I actually want to know the limit of days I can stay without anmeldung?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/05/2019 at 10:48

Hey Rupali. If you haven#t unregistered from your Leipzig address, on paper, it will look like you were still living there.

• Reply roni 21/05/2019 at 16:48

Hi, I own an apartment in Berlin that I plan to live in only for a few days every month. I do not plan to rent it otherwise. I would like to do a type of registration that allows me to get some benefits e.g. order electricity, get a license for my car etc. Does that exist? How are owners of holiday homes supposed to apply for services etc, without incurring tax liability in Germany? Many thanks

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/05/2019 at 10:04

Hey Roni. It would be best to talk to a tax consultant to sort this questions out. This is a bit out of the registration procedure itself.

• Reply Aniqa 21/05/2019 at 16:36

I have a question if a person have permanent stay in Germany and he is here from last 14 years if he is hiding for some reason from state .
    Is it possible he can stay forever like that e.g hiding his self or there is a law for that person should register if not he should be black list or his permanent stay will be finished. That person is my husband and he is hiding because of our divorce procedure and hidding from state not to get letters.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/05/2019 at 10:03

Hey Aniqa. This is way beyond my ability. I’d suggest to turn to a more qualified person for this.

• Reply can 21/05/2019 at 16:04

Hello, i am Can,
    I am an expat working in Berlin and recently made anmeldung for both me and my wife since it is quite important. But plan has changed a little bit and my wife returned back to our country and will come back to Berlin in august permanently. But in between she will regularly visit me. Should we de-register her? It is an interesting case and i wonder if i can find anmeldung law in english somewehere.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/05/2019 at 10:01

Hey Can. Interesting case. Probably best to ask an expert but in my opinion, if your wife is going to be staying more than 180 days in Germany in the next 12 months, then she could be considered a German resident and thus still be registered here. It’s as if she was on holidays abroad so to speak.

• Reply S. Ann 18/05/2019 at 22:21

Hi there, thank you for your article. I am from the US and moved to a new apartment in Germany almost a year ago with roommates. When they went to register, I thought they had done it for all of us, as I was out of town for work. I only just found out I was never properly registered. I have made an appointment and will go but I am very nervous. Do you know what can possibly happen to me?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/05/2019 at 09:44

Hey Sara. So in theory, there can be a fine applied to you but if you explain the honest mistake, the Beamter might not apply it, if they even bring it up.

• Reply Ram 15/05/2019 at 08:57

Once again applause for your great work. I need your feedback for below query.
    I am staying in Germany from Mid of 2018 with my spouse and a kid. We do have residence permit till 2022. Now, due to some personal reasons, I want to put my family (spouse and/or kid) in my country for some months. They will de-register (Abmeldung) before leaving Germany and can they reenter Germany with same residence permit after five months or six months ? or whether residence permit goes invalid ?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/05/2019 at 13:36

Hey Ram, residence permits are bit out of my league sorry. Better ask a specialisst.

• Reply harun 14/05/2019 at 19:10

Hello, although I’ve read the post I still didn’t understand something. My friend is a renter in Berlin. So he has a landlord. I will be staying with him for a little while while I’m looking for a permanent place to live. Is the letter from my friend stating that I am staying with him enough to get the anmeldung? or Do ı still need the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” from his landlord? Or could he just fill that form him self as well?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/05/2019 at 13:33

Hey Harun. In theory, the landlord has to fill-in because they have to know at all times who is staying in the flat. In practice, some main tenants have filled-in (although it’s not what the law wants), and it went fine at the Bürgeramt.

• Reply Gabriela 10/05/2019 at 03:54

Hey Bastien, thanks for such an useful article, I’m using it as a reference to understand Germany a little bit more 🙂
    I wanted to ask something: I’m moving from Mexico to Dusseldorf for my MBA, but my studying visa starts on August 31, before that, Mexicans are allowed to enter Germany as tourists without visa for 3 months. I’m entering Germany without a Visa, as a tourist and on these 3 months I plan to find an apartment. Can I do Anmeldung before my student visa period starts? (Example: If I find an apartment in June, can I do Anmeldung in June?)

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 10/05/2019 at 21:33

Hey Gabriela, yes you can.

• Reply Baldock Tut 29/04/2019 at 10:27

Can my landlord/property manager charge me 10Euros, before they fill out the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/04/2019 at 20:41

Hey man. No, it is required by law that they provide this document at no charge.

• Reply Baldock Tut 30/04/2019 at 10:29

She is pretty persistant. Do you have refernce to this law so I can show her please?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/05/2019 at 22:41

Bundesmeldegesetz § 19 Abs. 1 BMG – Fines from 1000€ can be inflicted to the Vermieter if they don’t cooperate.

• Reply Nick 28/04/2019 at 15:52

Hello, does the apartment area affect registration? Is it possible to get registration for 2 people in an apartment of 32 sq. m?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/04/2019 at 20:43

Hey Nick. It’s 9 sqm per adult minimum. Source: nach § 7 Wohnungsaufsichtsgesetz Berlin.

• Reply Tomislav 25/04/2019 at 23:19

hallo! 🙂
    tomi here,
    so i got papers for the A., stating 1.3.’19 as the move-in date…my b-amt termin is in june…
    should I worry about paying for not registering inerhalb 14 days?
    vielen dank :*

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/04/2019 at 12:49

Hey Tomislav. In theory, there is a fine but in practice, it’s rare when it’s due to a lack of appointment slots.

• Reply Brave 24/04/2019 at 19:18

Hey

I want to ask a question. I am a student and having anmeldung till today but i am going to my country for 3 months for my thesis and my landlord is asking me to do abmeldung. My question is i will come after three months will there be any issue in it? Will they impose fine on me ? Of will there be any problem in getting register once i will come back.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/04/2019 at 21:23

Hey Brave. I’m not sure what the problem is. If you do the Abmeldung, you can register again when you come back yes.

• Reply Lonz 24/04/2019 at 14:25

I just registered (Almendung) in Germany, Magdeburg and I got my certificate of residence now. They gave me a form my friend whom I am now staying with. He had written a letter to say I am just staying with him. What is the purpose of the form they have given me? It is called a Wohungsberbestatigung.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/04/2019 at 21:19

Hey Lonz. Please read the post again. It’s all there.

• Reply Cristina 21/04/2019 at 20:35

Hey!
    Im Cristina and I arrived to Berlin 2 weeks ago. My aunt lives in Bavaria and I was wondering if its possible to register with her address here in Berlin. (I have a german passport).

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/04/2019 at 20:20

Hey Cristina. No. You’d need to register in Bavaria.

• Reply Anna 18/04/2019 at 12:26

What are the costs for the anmeldung?

Thanks 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/04/2019 at 20:08

None, but they might ask you for money if you want additional copies of your Meldebescheinigung.

• Reply CLARA 08/04/2019 at 19:29

Hello! My name is Clara and I am studying in Berlin in University. I arrived in September but I just found now a place were I can register. What do you suggest to do to avoid a fine? Should I pretend that I arrived just a couple of months ago? Would that be possible? My university accepted me without a registration at the beginning but they now need it.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/04/2019 at 10:09

Hey Clara. You guess is as good as mine. I very rarely hear about fines being actually applied.

• Reply gabriela 04/04/2019 at 13:16

Hi! Is a problem if my last address is from another country?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/04/2019 at 22:07

Hey Gabriel. No.

• Reply miga 03/04/2019 at 20:27

Hi! I have a question, what if I dont have a last residency in Germany, I just came 2 weeks ago? I saty in Airbnb and now I have a place that I can get the anmeldung-

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/04/2019 at 21:59

Hey Miga. I don’t understand the question.

• Reply Tom 27/03/2019 at 21:39

Hey, I’m Tom.

I need to somehow extract my entire Anmeldung registration records from Germany to show in my home country for the sake of Tax stuff.

I was registered once in Berlin, then Leipzig, now Berlin again. Any idea how? 😉

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/03/2019 at 20:15

Hey Tom. Probably by showing your Meldebescheinigungen from the Bürgeramt, if you still have them. Or maybe use official letters from the Finanzamt for that purpose as well?

• Reply Bela 22/03/2019 at 14:35

Hi, I am Bela
    I’am studying in Frankfurt since 2 months and I need to renew my visa. I am No Eu Citizen, For this reason needs a registration ( AMMELDUNG) , but I have not find an apartment in Frankfurt, yet. I wanted to ask you, If Can My friend registered me ( Ammeldung) ?
    She lives in another city, 200 km from Frankfurt, 2 hours by train?
    Bela

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/03/2019 at 20:09

Hey Bela. That’s theoretically possible: you don’t need to live in the same city where you study.

• Reply Sonia 06/04/2019 at 22:31

Hello Bela,
      I’m sonia. If you would have made you registered in another city and you lives in Frankfurt then from which city you could extend your visa? From frankfurt or from the other city of which you have the anmeldung. Because i’m gonna have the same case. Thanks in advance.

• Reply Rachel 22/03/2019 at 06:32

I am planning on staying at my friends house while I source a flat. I would like to stay here rent free for as long as possible.
    If he provides me with a letter and I notify the Anmeldung will I be able to obtain a tax file number and work over this period without my own residency?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/03/2019 at 20:06

Hey Rachel. If you successfuly register there, then yes, you can obtain a Steuernummer.

• Reply Benjamin Tallis 21/03/2019 at 10:22

Hi all, what is the easiest way to cancel this residency permit? I need to cancel it as I’m moving back to where I have my permanent residency (different that this temporary one). Because I now need to travel next week and due to the increased likelihood of a no deal Brexit I want to cancel this temporary residency ASAP to avoid any confusion about my status. Please advise. Thanks!

• Reply Obasciyi osagie 21/03/2019 at 03:55

Hi bestien ,l just came to germany from italy with permanent stay .what are the procedure to get a stay here in germany and how long is my permit for the first time

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/03/2019 at 10:08

Hey Obasciyi. I don’t know.

• Reply andres 11/03/2019 at 13:18

Hey Bastien. I have a question related to the Anmeldung. I was renting an apartment and I was already registered to the Anmeldung with my rental apartment address. In the last weeks I bought an apartment. Do I need to change my address or since I have registered the apartment with the Land Register office under my name this will be done automatically?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/03/2019 at 10:00

Hey Andres. Congrats on the purchase. Yes you still need to register; you could very well own the place and rent it out to somebody for example. So that’s not automatic.

• Reply Sai 05/03/2019 at 13:01

Hello, I have an issue. Please help me out as soon as possible.

I came to Germany in 2017 and I took room and did city registration. Unfortunately I met with an accident and doctor told to take rest for 4-6 months and asked me not to work. I was unable to pay the rent so I left the room and was stayed in my friends room for almost 7-8 months without city registration. After that I took room and did city registration .but presently they are asking me to show the proof where I stayed during those 7months without doing city registration. I don’t know exactly what should I do now.please me out. Thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/03/2019 at 23:08

Hey Sai. Just an opinion: ask your friend to write you a letter certifying you were staying at his place for those dates.

• Reply Fahad 25/02/2019 at 21:10

I got a Visa of 6 months and its type D.
    The university I planned on to enroll in has an enrollment deadline of around 18th April.
    I got an admission letter from another university whose enrollment is 1st September. My visa is valid till 30th September.
    I wanted to ask whether I can work in Germany before enrolling in the university in September? Am I allowed?
    I want to come to Germany, work till my enrollment in September. I got the study visa of 6 months.

Please let me know what the law says.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/02/2019 at 10:08

Hey Fahad. I’m no visa specialist but i think your permit must specify whether or not you are allowed to work during that time.

• Reply Adriano meis 24/02/2019 at 19:34

Hi, i’ve been living in berlin since january 2018, and between nobody warning me and later on problems with registering for the anmellung i never actually got it. Right now i’m afraid of applying because i heard i might be subjected to a fine which i definetly can’t afford. What do you suggest?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/02/2019 at 20:33

Hey Adriano. First off, sometimes the Beamter will show some understanding for not doing this right away. Other than that, some just pretend they just arrived in Germany to avoid a fine like this.

• Reply Lily 24/02/2019 at 17:13

I am a US citizen moving to Berlin for a job with a German company. I will be living in an Airbnb for the first two months, then moving into a subleased apartment for one year. I have the signed sublease / rental contract for the one year apartment and the landlord gave permission for the sublease. I’m worried about the Bürgeramt registration. I asked the Airbnb person if I could register that address for the first two months, and he said no. He said to register my address starting in July. It seems like this is going to cause me some problems if I am not able to register the Airbnb address. I probably can’t register the sublease address until I move in in July, correct? I also have an appointment with the Auslanderbehörde on May 16 to get my residence permit, but I’m envisioning issues with doing that before living in my permanent residence where I can actually register.

I’m wondering if it would be better for me to get a hotel for the first two months instead of the Airbnb, and registering there. Do you know if it is possible to register the hotel you are staying?

Thank you very much for your help.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/02/2019 at 09:24

Hey Lily. The short and unsatisfactory answer is: it depends. Some do allow it and some don’t.

• Reply ken 14/02/2019 at 00:00

I’m not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but I will try my luck and would be super grateful if you could help me out. I’m currently registered in Hohen Neuendorf and work in Berlin. As I’m soon going to extend my visa (non-EU citizen) to start my master studies, I want to know whether I have to relocate to Berlin and register there or can I stay in Hohen Neuendorf and extend my visa (or residence permit) for my studies in the auslanderbehorde in Oranienburg (and not the one in Berlin)?
    Thank you so much in advance!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/02/2019 at 16:59

Hey Ken. Not sure i can connect the dots: you can be resident somewhere and work in another city. Why the wish/need to relocate here?

• Reply Colin 08/02/2019 at 12:25

Good Afternoon,
    I went into the Bürgeramt here in Dietzenbach and they are telling me I need an appointment in order to register my address. The only problem is they are making me wait an entire month for the appointment. I tried going to Frankfurt and while the attendant was filling in my paperwork informed me I had to register in the city that I lived! Long story short I am extremely desperate to register my address and can absolutely not wait the month they are telling me I must wait. I need a job and am running out out time in the 3 months I am allowed to be here in Germany. Do you have any advice for me that might be able to assist me? I hate that my dream of living here in Germany is about to be destroyed because I can not wait the month they are telling me I must wait! Any information you may provide will be greatly appreciated. As I said before I am very desperate and anxious to find a solution to this problem.

Thank You!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/02/2019 at 12:48

Hey Colin. If booking an appointement is the only option, you may want to check onlin in the morning (around 8am) and refresh every now and then to see if spots are available.

• Reply Sauvik 07/02/2019 at 18:25

Your article is quite helpful and I think I might get my answer here. I’m not sure if you have come across a similar case or not. I have a work permit to work in Germany. I’ll be entering Germany for the first time with this permit (meaning that I don’t have any bank account, registration done previously). But my work will surely be of 2-3 weeks. The place will probably be Munich. I read everywhere how important Anmeldung is. I believe equally important will be de-registration as well. Given that I am going for such a short duration, do I need to register (and de-register) compulsorily if I stay in a hotel/Airbnb provided accommodation and use a prepaid mobile connection? I would need to open a bank account though. What will be the repercussion during my next visit to Germany/EU if I skip the process? Is the answer different if I stay for less than 14 calendar days vs. if I stay for 3 weeks?

Thanks in advance.
    Sauvik

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/02/2019 at 12:17

Hey Sauvik. I don’t know if you need to register. It mostly depends on where you will need to pay taxes i suppose. Since you are not becoming a German resident, there is no need to register here but it might limit some access to services. for a bank account, you might want to check N26 that doesn’t require the anmeldung.

• Reply Sauvik Das 09/02/2019 at 20:24

Hi Bastien, Thank you for the response. That gives a lot of relief, given that I’ll be there for just a short duration. Yes, I understand the limitation in services.

I will be earning German salary for two/three weeks though (depending on how long my work allows me to stay).

• Reply Christina 01/02/2019 at 15:36

Thank you for your helpful post!
    I’ve already registered an address once in the city, I have a full time job and tax ID number already, receiving a salary, I have EU citizenship, etc. Is it legal for me to move into a new apartment for a few months without registering there? I would un-register at my last flat, and then simply would not re-register at a new flat for 6 months. I am able to receive mail at the new address but the landlord is not willing to sign the registration form for me until after 6 months. My question is whether that is legal for me?
    Any insight on this situation would be great!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/02/2019 at 11:28

Hey Christina. No that would be illegal.

• Reply Andres 29/01/2019 at 00:09

Hope you can help me.
    I’ve been living in Berlin for a couple of years, last year I moved from an apartment to another but I didn’t changed my anmeldung until last month and now I received a letter saying that I made an administrative infringement and I need to send some info to the burgeramt. Should I worry? Do you know what are the consequences? Or if I need to check it with an attorney?
    Thanks.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/01/2019 at 09:36

Hey Andres. That’s a very interesting case; it’s the first time that i hear about a literal application of the law. The Amt is usually quite relaxed about the rule; although i must say that a year too late is definitely past the tolerance zone. I’m afraid my small knowledge cannot help you there. I can read here that you risk anything up to a 1000€ fine. Good luck with this.

• Reply Sez 27/01/2019 at 14:12

Thank you for the article. I am an Erasmus student here in Germany, doing a mixed study and work abroad module in Germany in an English University. My student visa is until the 31st of March, after which I need to find a work placement in Germany for at least 3-4 months. I went to register at the City Hall of the city I live in the first week that I arrived but the authorities were confused about the fact that I have to work after my study placement, and asked for a letter from my University in England. I told my Uni in England and they indeed they gave me the letter, but I am someone with ADHD and I completely forgot that I had to register. I was overwhelmed with life in a new country, and having opened a bank account, health insurance, enrolled in Uni without any problems- I completely forgot that the registration process is compulsory for those who have to stay for more than 3 months. Moreover, I was never informed of any strict deadlines by the German embassy when my visa was issued or when I arrived here, which is partly why I forgot. Now, there are a few days left before my 3 months in Germany is completed, and I don’t know what to do 🙁 I’m really anxious regarding the consequences. Are there any fines, will I have to return to my country? Is it possible to register any time before 3 weeks? I have no idea, and I am super anxious. Please help me.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/01/2019 at 10:04

Hey Sez. There are indeed fines that can be applied in theory but most of the time, the Amt is closing a eye on it, provided it’s not really too late. Your condition could help explain why you are so late too. Depends on the person in front of you. If you want to register fast; queue up in front of the office 30min before opening times and take a ticket. Good luck!

• Reply Prashant 25/01/2019 at 17:48

Hello, I have a query. I have subleted my apartment as I wanted to leave germany. But, somehow I came to know that I have to live here for a year more. Now, I have not yet deregistered, while the guy to whom I have subleted has registered. The situation is that i have to live in the current city for a month and then shift to another city. Hence, I am living with a friend (as no one is giving me apartment for a month) and decided not to deregister from my old apartment for a month and then register to another city after a month. Is this a ok or i might face some legal issue?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/01/2019 at 20:42

Hey Prashant. Hard to say. Who knows if your landlord or Hausverwaltung will check in the meantime, and unregister you then.

• Reply Prashant 26/01/2019 at 21:30

Thanks a lot Bastien. Hope i dont get into some issue.

• Reply Amir 17/01/2019 at 21:31

Thank you VERY much for this really helpful and informative article (as well as the website as a whole).
    A small question of clarification – if I am going to be registered under the address of a family member with whom I am staying (not renting), do I still need to fill in the form of the landlord (the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”), or is it enough to just bring the letter that I am staying with them ?
    Many thanks

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/01/2019 at 23:22

Hey Amir. You need both forms, as mentioned in the post.

• Reply SUE 16/01/2019 at 17:50

I am moving to Berlin and will need to anmeldung when i arrive, My german isnt so good get and dont think i would be able to speak to someone in the office and ask about tax number, is there english . speakers there too or just german?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/01/2019 at 23:17

Hey Sue. The workers can often speak English but prefer not too, in case they make a mistake or things get lost in translation.

• Reply teddd 11/01/2019 at 12:05

From what movie does that gif come from ? 🙂

• Reply Sergio 03/02/2019 at 01:47

Beetlejuice! 😉

• Reply Heidi Kärkkäinen 08/01/2019 at 08:56

Hi! First of all thank you SO much of your site! It helped tremendously when I moved to Berlin two years ago 🙂

Now I have a question, to which you maybe have some input: I would need to get my Anmeldung translated into English just in case, so would you happen to have any idea how could I do it? Have you heard anybody doing that? I mean asking from an Amt is probably the best bet but I have also read some people asking in some Facebook groups for professional translations, although probably for school certificates only AND from English to German and not the other way around… I am going to the States this Spring and some officials might want to look at my Anmeldung and also understand something of it as well.

Thank you so much in any case!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/01/2019 at 14:15

Hey Heidi. That’s an unusual request for sure. I’m sure you could ask for a custom certified translation via platforms like Lingoking for example.

• Reply Fady 05/01/2019 at 22:18

Hello i want to ask about something, i have been in berlin for almost five months and I registered in a place for the first 2 months then i changed it for several times but without re-registration and i leaving Germany in 2 weeks, is there any problem for me ?!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/01/2019 at 13:52

Hey Fady. In theory, there could be a fine for doing an “Ummeldung” everytime you move, but i have yet to hear about any application of this law.

• Reply André 04/01/2019 at 13:06

I’ve lived in Berlin for a while and did my registration so I have an IdNr. or SteuerNr. Then I moved away for bit so I did my abmeldung. Now I would like to return, so doing my anmeldung again, is there something I need to be aware of? Do I need to write my old IdNr. down somewhere or is still in their system?
    Would appreiate some help. Thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/01/2019 at 12:24

Hey André. I believe that their keep record of your IdNr. for a few years before they erase, if at all. I would simply ask the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern in that case or even simply request that they send it to you again via this form, a week or two after your anmeldung.

• Reply André 13/01/2019 at 19:08

Great, thanks!

• Reply tania 04/01/2019 at 05:22

Hi i am tania,

is it ok if i already abmeldung but i will fly to home (asia) from zurich instead of from germany ?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/01/2019 at 12:21

Hey Tania. Er yes, i don’t see anything against it…

1 5 6 7 8