Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Update 11.04.2020: Due to the current Corona situation, the Anmeldung can often not be processed in person. Most cities in Germany won’t accept to do this via email/post/phone (eg: Berlin), but some will do (eg: Düsseldorf, Bremen). You will need to contact your local Bürgeramt in your own district and see what ways they offer. Requests will be handled on a case by case basis, and probably only urgent ones will be processed. Good luck!

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

  • Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Bürgeramt, Bürgerbüro, Rathaus, or Kundezentrum?

This post was originally meant to be read by Berliners only, thus only the term Bürgeramt was used here. However, since people from everywhere in Germany are reading this, it’s worthwhile to say that it’s called differently in other parts of the country. So check the local lingo. 🙂 Those terms can be used interchangeably in this post.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to Appmeldung, which lets you do exactly that for Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich. Disclaimer: Appmeldung was built by the guy behind SiB.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt, fast?

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times:

However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before. Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!


  • During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Berlin has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung. Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.

FAQ about the Anmeldung in Germany

I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?

The German administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and/or don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.

I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?

This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.

Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.

Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket. You may also want to go to less busy offices. See the next question.

Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirk where i live?

You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner. You’d need to check for other cities in Berlin.

Is there a maximum amount of people that can register in a single living space?

It depends on a few factors and on where you live. In Berlin, the law says that for each adult person, there should be at least 9 sqm, and for kids only 6 sqm. In Bavaria, that is 10 sqm per person over 6 years old, 6 sqm per person under 6 years old.

I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?

Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.


Bürgeramt 1
Yorckstr. 4 – 11, 10965 Berlin, Main Entrance, 3rd Floor

Bürgeramt 2
Schlesische Str. 27 A, 10997 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Frankfurter Allee 35/37, 10247 Berlin, Entrance B


Bürgeramt Rathaus Neukölln
Karl-Marx-Str. 83
12043 Berlin – Neukölln


Bürgeramt 1
Mathilde-Jacob-Platz 1
10551 Berlin

Bürgeramt 2
Karl-Marx-Allee 31
10178 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Müllerstr. 147
13353 Berlin


Rathaus Charlottenburg
Otto-Suhr-Allee 100,
10585 Berlin.

Hohenzollerndamm 177,
10713 Berlin.

Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.


  • Reply Jessie Meyers 02/01/2019 at 20:20

    Hi there,

    I wanted to get an update on the amneldung situation and the possibility to use a letter for a friend that wants to register at our address (temporarily while they look for more permanent accommodation).

    I have 2 questions
    I am a subtenant with a contract and already have registered at this apartment.
    I was wondering:
    1. Do you still need to provide the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung in this case? If so, would I have to ask my landlord if my friend can stay temporarily?
    2. I cannot see the option to write a letter (with the sample you have supplied) on the website. Is this still a valid and accepted document to give the Burgeramt?

    Thank you

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/01/2019 at 12:16

      Hey Jessie. 1. In all cases, you are supposed by law to let your landlord know who is staying at your place. 2. This open letter is the thing that replaces a contract, since your friend is not paying anything.

  • Reply Mjauu 27/12/2018 at 12:44

    Hi there.
    I am a Non-EU citizen with a blue card who works in Berlin. I am married and my wife is currently in the process of getting Visa for “joining the family”. I have changed my address recently, and on my appointment, in one Berlin’s burgeramt they asked me if I am married since my wife was with me. I explained everything to that girl who works in burgeramt but she still ensure us that my wife can register address too if she will stay to live in Germany. And now my wife get almendung. By reading I see that my wife get almendung without having still granted visa for being here. Is this our mistake or this burgeramt? Are we breaking the law? Is this some potential risk for us? What do you advice us to do? Please help

    P.S. I expect my wife to get a visa for joining the family in 1-2 months in a regular way. Should I just wait for that? Or this might cause us some troubles?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/12/2018 at 21:10

      Hey Mjauu. I’m no visa expert but your wife can still register in Germany and be considered a tourist right? There is no rule against that right? Just an opinion…

  • Reply Kuar 25/12/2018 at 11:09

    Can we stay in Germany after de-registration? Suppose I mention in de-registration application that I leave Germany on 15 Jan 2019. But due to some problems I cannot travel on that day (e.g. no cheap flight tkt on 15 Jan 2019!). Can I leave 5 days later, i.e. on 20 Jan? (Anyway I have valid visa until the end of March 2019).

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/12/2018 at 20:52

      Hey Kuar. Yes, that is not a problem.

  • Reply Francisco 13/12/2018 at 06:53

    Hi, to get the anmeldung, do I need to provide only my passport and my visa at the registation office or do I need also a residence permit? because I will only stay in Germany for 7 months to study a German language course, so the Embassy gave me a 7 months visa on my Passport and I don´t need to apply for a residence permit. However I need the anmeldung to open a bank account and get my money back from a blocked account the Embassy made me opened. I´m not from the European Union, I´m from South America. Thank you.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/12/2018 at 09:30

      Hey Francisco. It won’t be needed, it will be fine.

  • Reply Rumi 07/12/2018 at 15:16

    Hello! THANK YOU SO MUCH for this useful resource. this window has been open on my laptop for the past three months as I struggled to find an address to register in (very long story about my landlord taking forever to get back to me).

    Here’s my question. I’ve found a colleague who is willing to let me register at his address in Potsdam. Do I need to go to a Burgeramt in Potsdam to get this Anmeldung? or can it be done in a Burgeramt here in Berlin?

    and a similar follow up question – once I get this Anmeldung, can I go to an Auslanderbehorde in Berlin or do I need to go to an office in Potsdam?

    THANK YOU AGAIN! you are angels.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/12/2018 at 21:39

      Hey Rumi. Potsdam is not Berlin so yes, you have to stay there to do the Anmeldung. Regarding the foreigner’s office, that’s an interesting question actually. I don’t know about this one. The foreigner’s office in Berlin is overwhelmed with demands and applications though. Would it not be more chilled and faster to do that in Potsdam?

  • Reply Alexandra 05/12/2018 at 15:03

    Hello everyone. First of all, this blog is amazing thank you so much for all the effort put into it, it is very helpful.
    So I decided to share my situation as there might be others like me.
    I studied in Berlin 8 years ago and left without any institution know. I didn’t deregister I didn’t even go to deregister at the university.
    Now, my life brings me back to Berlin and I have to register as I am getting a lot of jobs here. But I am so scared of going to the Anmeledeamt, I have no idea what to expect. Is there maybe an expiry date for deregistration? thank you so much!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/12/2018 at 18:34

      Hey Alexandra. That’s very good question. Apparently, the law plans a fine of up to a 1000€ for people that didn’t fulfill the deregistration duty when leaving Germany. However, it’s theoretical and i have yet to hear about an actual application of the law. Let us know what happens.

  • Reply Jean 22/11/2018 at 00:51

    Hello everyone,

    i’m a Ghanaian, living in France and my asylum requested has been refused and my girlfriend is a Germany citizen and she want me to relocate to Germany and join her, please can i move freely in Germany if she give me Anmeldung without me having a Germany resident permit? think i should have something to showed in case of police control when living there, or will the Anmeldung be okay for me to move freely? because i also want to seek for a job contract to enable me apply for Germany resident working permit. or should we get married?
    best option please.


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/11/2018 at 15:04

      Hey Jean. Your case is very peculiar and requires a far more qualified opinion than my own, in the comments section of a blog. Please seek professional advice. My opinion on your question however is that the Meldebescheinigung does not constitute a residence permit in itself.

    • Reply Gary Paddick 29/11/2018 at 15:00

      Hello, and thank yo for this wonderful blog – it’s been a big help.

      Feel that I’m asking the same question as many on this board about the staying with a friend, and after reading a lot of the comments my understanding of the answer still seems fuzzy.

      So for staying with a friend (before finding one’s own place) and registering with that friend, you would need:
      1) Letter from a friend saying your staying with them – in place of a tenant contract
      2) The “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” – so this means you need to inform the landlord and have their signature that you are staying with your friend/relative, and registering, even though you are not subletting, only visiting
      (Feel that here is where a lot of the confusion is stemming from)
      a) This is also the step where a lot of people seem to be asking about having their friend (the main tenants) fill in the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung in place of the landlord – which technically is not correct, but some people have success getting away with it, correct?

      3) Fill in the “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde”

      Basically, you must have a filled out and signed “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” to register?

      Thanks for all the info and help

      • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/11/2018 at 09:47

        Hey Gary. All your points are correct.

  • Reply Shashank 02/11/2018 at 19:20

    I have already registered my self to the city and got a tax number, but if I want to move to a new house with a different address, then do I need to register once again? Or can I just let my old addressed be registered.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/11/2018 at 20:55

      Hey Shashank, You need to register at the new address; an “Ummeldung”. Process is the same as detailed above.

  • Reply Ivan 01/11/2018 at 16:35

    Hi everybody! I have a question regarding the combo marriage + anmeldung.
    I’ll arrive in Berlin in a couple of weeks and I’m gonna register myself ASAP. I’m Italian, my wife is Finnish. We got married in Italy and we are currently living in Finland (we have registered our marriage also here). I’m gonna move alone (so I won’t be with her, she’s gonna remain in Finland).
    Do I have to provide our marriage certificate? Honestly, it would be a relief avoiding to translate a certificate in German for nothing.
    Do you have any idea about this? Thanks a lot! 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 02/11/2018 at 10:39

      Hey Ivan. You don’t need to provide a marriage certificate to register (alone or with your wife). You will need to do that to have your marriage recognized in Germany in the future though.

      • Reply Ivan 02/11/2018 at 12:57

        Ok, but the article says:

        “All you need to do the Anmeldung is :
        – If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.”

        So that’s why I was thinking that I needed to provide them the certificate 🙂

  • Reply Mar 21/10/2018 at 22:54

    Hi, thanks a lot for those helpful explanations I benefited so far.
    I am moving to Berlin to work, from Hannover where I lived for 7 years for my studies. First three months, like a probation time, I will live alone in Berlin, therefore, I am looking for a room. Then starting from February (2nd semester), I plan to move a flat and live there with my 12 year-old daughter.
    I have two issues would like to share with you.
    1-What is ‘Anmeldung’ exactly? Even for 3 months in a room, I need to be registered, at least to apply for working visa. Why some landlords/ladies cannot offer it? I read related places of this website and understood that the landlady-lord can any case give me a letter that I am living with them, I sublet their room, and I could apply for a working visa, is that like this? Or might there be a problem that they hesitate giving such document?

    2-I need to find a ‘good school, a Gymnasium’ for my daughter and would like to decide residence play accordingly. Do you know any hint or website/forum etc. that I can take some pieces of advice. There are many options but I need some tips to find some good alternatives.
    Thank you in advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/10/2018 at 18:21

      Hey Mar. 1- I don’t know why some landlord refuse to provide a move-in confirmation. Sometimes, the flat is WBS-eligible and it’s not allowed to subrent it. Could be other reasons. 2-Try the forum from ToyTown Germany. They have some good folks on there. Otherwise look for “Expat dads Berlin” group on FB.

  • Reply Yuval 18/10/2018 at 09:17

    Hey 🙂 thanks for your helpful blog!
    I have one question regarding the anmeldoung. I found a sublet in Berlin only for the first two months in the city and the anmeldoung is not possible. How terrible is it? Can I just do it after two months when I’ll find a permanent place?

    Thank you!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/10/2018 at 14:04

      Hey Yuval. You probably won’t get in trouble for it but it might be annoying for other things like getting health insurance, visa or other job related issues.

  • Reply Sasho 11/10/2018 at 18:16


    My question is, if my apartment is in Spandau, is it possible to register in Burgeramt in Neu Köln, due to free termin there?

    Thanks in advance

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/10/2018 at 10:22

      Hey Sasho, as pointed out in the post: yes.

  • Reply Nic 10/10/2018 at 01:54

    Hi. Please ANSWER me.
    I had an anmeldung in Dusseldorf.I worked there for a company that was offering accomodation.Than i was fired,and i had to move and i moved in Essen and here i live at my girlfriend for 7 months, i found a job here,and they did not asked me fro the anmeldung, but i dont have an anmeldung because the owner of the appartmant could not make me one.Im paying all the taxes,my health insurance,everything.I keep looking for an apartment but i did not found anything.
    My question is:

    What will happen if i will not register ? will there be a fine?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 10/10/2018 at 13:05

      Hey Nic. In theory, there should be a fine yes. In practice, i have never heard of it happen before.

  • Reply Benedikt Andrason 08/10/2018 at 22:42

    Hey! is it possible to register in Berlin with an address outside of Berlin?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/10/2018 at 13:19

      Hey Ben. You need to register in a Bügeramt located in the same city as the address you want to register to.

  • Reply Mitesh shamjibhai zala 05/10/2018 at 01:53

    Hello i need some serious Problem is i used to live in studentendorf schlachtensee. I have 11 months contract with them. Now it has been six month and i have to go to the University in another city( duisburg ) becuase of this thing administration has said to me that if you cancel your contract then you have to pay more fees that i will explain:
    [… Edited by SiB Editor for clarity]
    So is it possible to have 2 Anmeldung at a time. Can the Bürgeramt grant me the new Anmeldung in my new City? Or i just have to pay the penulty in Berlin?
    Is there any stuff like,if i have a two Anmeldung simulfaneously then i have to pay more tax??
    Please help me with this matter.
    I thank you so much in advance.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/10/2018 at 10:17

      Hey Mitesh. No it’s not possible to be registered at 2 addresses at the same time. You have to do an “Ummeldung”.

  • Reply Lior 02/10/2018 at 16:38

    hi, great blog. thanks a lot!
    I have a question from the landlord side: I have a friend who has an internship in Berlin for a few months and he wants to do a proper Anmeldung. Are there any consequences for me as a landlord allowing him to do the Anmeldung as a resident in my apartment (without any contract or rent being paid)?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/10/2018 at 10:10

      Hey Lior. You are the landlord, you can register anyone you want at your place.

  • Reply Roland 28/09/2018 at 19:32

    Hi ,

    I am working in Berlin and would go to back to my home country for vacation (2-3 months).
    I would directly go to Hamburg to join my new job directly once i am back from my country.
    So in this case do i need to de-register right away before going for vacation OR shall i not do it .. and do re-registration in Hamburg which could automatically de-register me from Berlin


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/09/2018 at 19:39

      Hey Sumit. Do an “Ummeldung” in Hamburg when you come back from holidays.

  • Reply Tad 21/09/2018 at 21:46

    My girlfriend and I will be living together where we register, but we are not married or in a civil partnership. Do we still apply together and on the same anmeldung form?

    PS Thanks so much for this great blog!

  • Reply Jeremy 18/09/2018 at 23:01

    So, I don’t know for sure if this was covered above, but if you are married then in addition they will want a copy of your marriage certificate, probably translated into German (although our very nice Burgeramt employee spoke English to us and let us email it to her there and then). This affects your tax code, so its worth knowing.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2018 at 09:21

      Hey Jeremy. Thanks for the input. I have edited the post accordingly.

  • Reply Paul 15/09/2018 at 14:53

    I am going to sublet a room for 3 months and I can’t do an anmeldung with them.
    However I have a friend in Berlin I could say I am staying with temporarily, could I do an anmeldung with them and then be able to get a tax number to allow me to work? Thanks 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2018 at 09:10

      Hey Paul. Yes, that should work, even if not regular.

      • Reply Leonidas M. 01/10/2018 at 11:44

        Regarding that, could the person that states in the wohnungsbestatigung that he having a guest over in his house (although he does not really) get in trouble for that? Also, is the landlord involved in this process? Thanks in advance.

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/10/2018 at 10:08

          Hey Leonidas, in theory it’s not allowed and the landlord should always be in the loop. So yes, in theory this person could get in trouble.

  • Reply Sunita Rai 12/09/2018 at 00:49

    Hello There,

    Thankyou so very much for such a helpful blog. I also have one question regarding the Anmeldung. I will be moving to my new apartment on 1st of October but I will be outside Berlin for 2 weeks from the beginning of the month which means I won’t have chance to go to register in 2 weeks time period. I just booked an online appointment of 17th October,18 but now I am bit worried about it. So, I kindly want to ask you; will there be any consequences for this 2 weeks time period ?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2018 at 08:58

      Hey Sunita. Probably no.

  • Reply Niels Riisager 09/09/2018 at 20:16

    I have a small question which I hoped to find an answer to on this very helpful page. I need to do the Anmeldung with the Berliner Bürgeramt, as I start studying this October and need the Meldebestätigung for the immatrikulation. However, as I haven’t got anything permanent until November, I am currently staying with my brother (not subletting, only temporaily, so I also haven’t got a contract). Do I still have to get the signature from the owner of the flat when it is only for a month and a half?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/09/2018 at 23:15

      Hi Niels. In theory yes.

  • Reply Franco 08/09/2018 at 11:37

    Hi. Thanks so much for this blog !

    I have a question since I am not sure. I’m subletting an apartment and I’m not sure what documents I need.
    I need :
    The Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde form
    The Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form filled by the landlord

    And that’s it?
    Those three documents?
    Thanks !

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/09/2018 at 23:11

      Hey Franco. Yes that’s it. Bring your tenancy contract for good measure. (or a copy).

  • Reply Gözde 07/09/2018 at 15:54

    Hi, firstly I would like to say that this blog is super useful. Thanks for your efforts!

    My situation is: I came to Germany in July and it`s been almost 3 months. I have been working here as an intern. I could have a bank account since I had a Vertrag from my company. But I didn`t register myself and either don`t have a steuerID. So, they put me in the highest steuer category and reduced much more than they normally should reduce (according to the yearly brutto salary amount). I will extend my internship for another 3 months. In this case, I definitely need to register myself and get a steuerID. But I wonder somethings.
    1- When I register myself, do I directly get a SteuerID or should I apply for that,too?
    2-Should I pay a fine/penalty for the last 3 months that I haven`t been registered?
    3-Do I need to pay for health insurance while registering myself? Do you have any idea about the costs?
    4-I am doing all this stuff to be able to extend my visa. After registering myself, does it take too much time to get a visa? They told me I dont need any termin for that but I am not totally sure if it is like that..

    thanks in advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/09/2018 at 23:10

      Hi Gözde. 1- Yes, but sometimes no. If not, read this.. 2- I doubt it. 3. Hard to say. Depends on your situation. Probably yes if you are extending a visa. More info here. 4. No idea. Good luck.

  • Reply S 06/09/2018 at 06:59

    Many thanks for your blog and your replies. I have a question about de-registering (abmelden). I have a freelance Visa, but will be overseas for 2 months and must move out of my apartment. I have been asked to register, but will this affect my Visa?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/09/2018 at 10:25

      Hi S. In my opinion, it would affect a possible extension if your visa were to run-out during that time.

  • Reply Charlotte 05/09/2018 at 10:36


    Thanks for the article.
    I’m wondering if you have to register in a certain neighbourhood or can go to one close by but perhaps not the closest?


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/09/2018 at 10:21

      Hey Charlotte. You can register in any Bürgeramt you want.

  • Reply Gry 01/09/2018 at 18:06

    I am marrid with EU citizen (not german), so I have family union residence which gives me working permit in germany. I work for a german company.

    We think to go somewhere in EU, however, I will keep working for the same company.

    if we leave germany, our anmeldung will drop. My residence depends on my wife, she should reside in germany. So my question is, what if our anmeldung drops, will i able to hold my residence and work?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/09/2018 at 10:20

      Hey Gry. Check your residence permit’s conditions. In my opinion, the answer is most probably yes.

  • Reply Sidsel Sofie 29/08/2018 at 21:24

    Does ‘no anmeldung’ in The WG-advertisements mean that it is kind of illegal to rent it/for them to rent out ? I have been offered a room with Anmeldung today, currently living in one without – but I don’t know what to do – stay in the one without or move to the one with where I just can’t stay longer than 3 maybe 4 months , and I have to stay in Berlin for 6 months for studying 🙂 what do you think?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/08/2018 at 10:27

      Hi Sidsel. Yes, usually that’s what it means. If you need a Meldebescheinigung, i strongly recommend to move into the new one.

  • Reply Cam 24/08/2018 at 11:24

    So I moved to Berlin, and am staying in A hostel while I find a flat, Does the 13 day dead line apply only once I sign for a flat ?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/08/2018 at 12:16

      Yes, but the deadline is not really enforced anyway so no worries.

    • Reply Mark 08/09/2018 at 13:36

      Hi CAM, did you register with the hostel address? I will be arriving in Germany shortly with my working holiday visa but will not get a flat until I find a job so I would like to sort all my paperwork with the hostel address. Thank you!

  • Reply David Adewale Akande 20/08/2018 at 13:31

    I did Anmeldung with my wife and daughter around 2 years ago in Berlin. But recently, (3 months ago) I discovered my wife and daughter names had been removed from this address. What could have been the cause of this problem? Thank you.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/08/2018 at 16:30

      No idea. Ask the Bürgeramt.

  • Reply Siddharth Khasgiwala 19/08/2018 at 14:48

    I have 2 questions/concerns
    1) I was told that there is a restriction on the size of the apartment or the rooms. Ex a registration will not be possible for 2 people in 1 room apartment.
    I am skeptical about this. Would be glad if someone can share if there exist some criteria like this.
    2) I have booked an appointment for 4th sept on my name, but I want the registration to be done for me & my wife – do I need to take a separate appointment for her?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/08/2018 at 16:59

      Hi Siddarth. 2) No need for a separate appointment.

    • Reply john 13/09/2018 at 13:37


      did you find out the answer for 2 people in a 1 room apartment ?

  • Reply Paige 16/08/2018 at 14:03

    I have recently moved to Germany with a working holiday visa, however I’m needing to register my address now. The address I’m staying permanently is in Hannover and I have my form signed by the landlord, however I’m staying with friends in Berlin for few weeks to see the city and am needing to register my address now to meet the deadline, can I do it at a Bürgeramt here in Berlin? Or do I need to go to Hannover?
    Thanks 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 16/08/2018 at 14:09

      You’d need to do that in Hannover.

  • Reply Andres 07/08/2018 at 14:10

    Hi! Thank your for this nice text. I have a question. I have a tourist VISA but i plan to start my application for an artist freelance visa. It is necessary and possible to make the anmeldung proccess?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/08/2018 at 16:31

      Hi Andres. Yes and yes i think.

  • Reply Evelina 03/08/2018 at 14:09

    I have a problem 🙁 I did my registration a month ago and they told me they will send me my tax number through the mail in two weeks, I did not get anything. Do you know if there is a phone number I can call or anyone I can contact about this and ask to provide me with my tax number?

    Many thanks.

    Kind Regards,

  • Reply Emme 02/08/2018 at 10:28

    That you for the useful information.
    I already have my anmeldung, but (stupid me) lost the paper. I still live in the same flat, is there any way to get a copy of it?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/08/2018 at 22:11

      Hi Emme. You can request a copy as the Bürgeramt.

  • Reply Fons 02/08/2018 at 09:14

    I relocated to Berlin recently and your blog is saving my life, thanks a lot!
    My partner and I went to register a few weeks ago and they gave us a stamped paper. In addition, my partner received a letter by post a couple of weeks after that. This letter contained a registration number, however, I never received it. Since we registered together, are we sharing this number? Is it possible that they simply missed me or the letter got lost?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/08/2018 at 22:11

      Hi Fons. I’m not sure what letter you are referring too? Is it your social security ID maybe?

  • Reply Kevaldo 27/07/2018 at 10:09


    I have a problem! I’m going on exchange to Bremen and my plan was just to stay in my girlfriends apartment during the stay (rent free). She and her roomie ar renting it from someone else. Is it enough (and also leagal) for her to write me a document saying I’m living there? I should add that I will stay for 2 months at a time since I’m going home for a week in the middle of the semester and also for christmas. Quick reply is greatly appreciated! 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/07/2018 at 22:37

      Hi Kevaldo. As mentioned multiple times in the post in the comments; It might just work out but it’s not legal in theory.

  • Reply Michael 26/07/2018 at 23:36


    a lot of the registration offices I am looking at in my area say only electronic payments – no cash. If I don’t have a bank account in Germany (because I require this registration form first) how can I make an electronic payment? Would they accept my VISA credit card?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/07/2018 at 22:39

      Hi Michael. You don’t need to pay anything to register at the Bürgeramt. IF for some strangereason, you need to pay them, you can use their IBAN references and provide a proof you paid to that account.

  • Reply Devoe 25/07/2018 at 23:10

    Do we get the Anmeldung immediately on the spot or is it sent by post to the registered address?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/07/2018 at 22:49

      Hi Devoe. On the spot.

  • Reply kate 24/07/2018 at 08:23

    I am subletting a room through a friend that has an extra room in his flat. I do not have a legal contract through the landlord but my flat mate is a legal tenant. Can he fill out the anmeldung form for me?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/07/2018 at 22:58

      Hi Kate. please read the post again, it has the answers.

  • Reply Eileen 23/07/2018 at 12:12

    Hi there

    I just wanted to give you an update on the registration process. I am moving to Berlin in 2 weeks, so decided to book an appointment for the day after I received my keys. There were no appointments across Berlin until end of August. As I start work on 15th and need my tax number, I went through the list of Berlin Bürgeramts on the government website to see if any of the mobile offices did walk ins. Because it was unclear I e-mailed (in German) to find out if it was ok to go and wait. I received a reply the next day and was told it is now obligatory to have an appointment in Berlin. You can’t just go and wait basically.

    I woke up early the next morning, waited for the system refresh and managed to get an appoitment. So I think my advice would be to look for an appointment as soon as you know you are moving in somewhere and use the 0800 refresh “hack” to get an appointment asap 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/07/2018 at 15:04

      Thanks for the update.

  • Reply Phil C 12/07/2018 at 10:14


    I moved to Berlin a couple weeks ago, and finally got into my apartment this past Saturday. I have everything I need to register, but the problem is my company. They “forgot” to take care of my visa so now I’m a “freelancer” until they get my visa back. I spoke to a friend last night who moved to Bonn a couple years ago, and she said I needed to have health insurance in order to get my anmeldung done, but since my company messed things up, I’m currently not insured and I’m starting to panic a bit. My company seems a bit too relaxed and I’m not sure what to do here. Any advice??

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/07/2018 at 09:33

      Hi Phil. It would be the other way around actually, you’d need to sort your Meldebescheinigung first to get health insurance. They don’t ask for a coverage certificate at the Bürgeramt to let you register.

  • Reply Pablo 08/07/2018 at 21:20

    Hi there,

    My question is: I’m entering my apartment the 1st August but I’ve already signed a contract that says that. Can I register my Anmeldung in advance? Or do I have to wait until effectively living there in order to do it. I want it to open a bank account and get a health insurance before that date but without the Anmeldung is harder to do it. Thank you in advance.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/07/2018 at 11:28

      Hi Pablo. You have to wait until after the first day of the move in date, stated on the contract.

  • Reply Joey 01/07/2018 at 17:36

    Hello there –

    Thank you for the article and apologies if this question has already been asked! But I’ve recently moved to Berlin for a job and am currently staying with friends until I find a more permanent flat. Can I register with a letter only? My friends are happy to write a letter but cannot sign the form you link to in the article as I’m not officially subletting – just visiting them. And I can’t apply for a permanent flat until I get my Visa, which won’t happen until I register in Germany. So, can I register without that form?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/07/2018 at 21:32

      Hi Joey. As mentioned many times in the comments section and in the article; in theory, this is not the right way to do this but it seems that most people get away with the tenant filling-up that form instead of the landlord. Sorry i can’t give you a more definite answer. Good luck!

    • Reply dan 17/07/2018 at 21:38

      Hey Joey, did this work I am in the same position atm!


  • Reply Francesca 25/06/2018 at 14:21

    I have a doubt and I hope you can help me.
    My boyfriend is moving to Berlin to look for a job, in which case he would need the Anmeldung to be able to work legally.
    Since I don´t know how long he´s gonna stay at my place, I was planning to write him a letter stating that he´s staying with me. In this case, does he need approval from my landlord? Do they need to fill also the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung?
    Which Anmeldung forms does he need to fill? I saw there are different ones on the Burgeramt page (Neue Wohnung, Bischerige Wohnung, Beiblatt zur Anmeldung…).
    I need to specify that I personally have a sub rent, which is known by the landlord because I, him and the official renter filled together the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung.
    Thank you for helping!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/06/2018 at 20:17

      Hi Francesca. Yes, in theory you’d need the approval from the landlord but as mentioned before in the comments and in the post, people seem to get away with it without it. It’s not legal but workers at the Bürgeramt don’t check/care that much. Anmeldung form —> Neue Wohnung.

  • Reply James Wilson 17/06/2018 at 23:31

    I’m renting the 2nd apartment in a duplex owned by my friend (he stays in the other apartment). Could he simply come with me and say I am staying there or do I still need paper documentation?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/06/2018 at 14:09

      Hi James. Your and yourself need to fill-out all the documentation required.

  • Reply Krisanov 06/06/2018 at 13:03

    Can I do anmeldung in Muncih and work and live in Berlin? Thank you!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/06/2018 at 00:59

      Hi Krisanov, you need to the anmeldung at your place of your residence, i.e, where you spent more than half of the year.

  • Reply Gappan 01/06/2018 at 13:49

    Hi ,
    So I submitted the documents for Anmeldung, more than 2 weeks back but I am yet to get the post from them. What is the process in such cases ?


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 02/06/2018 at 20:02

      Follow-up and ask what happened !

  • Reply Jake 30/05/2018 at 15:46

    Hey, thanks for all the helpful info.
    I’m due to move into a short-term rental apartment in Berlin soon (I’ll be there for 2 months minimum). Whilst I’m there I’ll be looking for something more permanent in Berlin.
    Will I need to submit the Anmeldung for my initial, short-term rental apartment, given that my plan is to not be there for more than 2 or 3 months?
    Thanks again.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 31/05/2018 at 16:18

      Hi Jake. In theory, you could still be considered a tourist during that time-span, so if you don’t need to register for work-related reasons or other, it should be fine.

  • Reply piyush 18/05/2018 at 21:30


    I have a doubt. I moved to berlin on 5 feb and sub let a room for 3 months as my internship was for 3 months till April. I didn’t do registration as it was just 3 months and main tenant was not travelling for 3 weeks , so I couldn’t get his signature. After 1 month, my company extended my internship til may end. Since 1st room was til April only, I again sublet another room for 1 month may without registration. So effectively I stayed at 2 places without registration (Feb to April, and then may). now I am moving back to wiesbaden. Willi be in a problem for living in Berlin for 4 months without registration?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/05/2018 at 19:53

      Hi there. It’s in theory a violation but i cannot tell you if something bad will happen to you. My opinion is that probably not, but it’s an opinion only.

    1 4 5 6 7 8 9

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.