Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

• Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to this rough translation.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt fast

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times (For Berlin, use this link and scroll down). However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before (in Berlin anyway). Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!

Notes

• During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Update February 2016 : The city has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung.
    Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.

• “I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?”
    The german administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.
  • “I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?”
    This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.
  • “Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment online or when i call is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.”
    Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket.
  • “Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirke where i live?”
    You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner.
  • “I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?”
    Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.

Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg:

Heerstr.
Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.
website

• Reply China 14/05/2018 at 20:45

Hello! Thanks for the great article 🙂

I’m arriving in Berlin in June and staying in an Airbnb for 16 days before I move into a WG for two and a half months. Do you know if I have to register both? And if so, will I need to register twice?

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/05/2018 at 21:46

Hi China. Probably no need to register into the airbnb. You could be considered a tourist after all. 😉

• Reply Kwi 12/05/2018 at 00:05

Your blog is a life-saver for me. So much help! Thanks a lot.
    I have a quick question.
    What happens if I register after 14 days?
    The document from my landlord has a date and I only managed to get an appointment 17 days after the moving in date.
    Would this be a problem when I go there?
    Thanks you so much again.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/05/2018 at 21:43

Hi Kwi. No problem at all.

• Reply Ashley 02/05/2018 at 22:06

Hey. Great post, comforting to some degree. But I still have a query… Sorry if it means repeating some of the same points again.

In brief: my wife and I have an apartment in Berlin from 1st May 2017. She works in Berlin, but I’m still working in Sweden due to some job restrictions. I don’t want to move (yet) because of this. I plan to move in July.

So right now I spend 80% of my time in Sweden, renting an apartment there. But now, to get this apartment in Berlin, I had to co-sign / become the other tenant so there is enough financial ‘security’ to get the apartment. So I technically am paying rent on two different apartments in two different countries (my bank love me, but I hate my bank balance).

Therefore, I technically now have two addresses: one in Sweden, one in Germany.

In the German apartment contract, it says I should register with the authorities as soon as possible. However, as I have not technically ‘moved to Berlin’ yet, I wondered if this is necessary. If I registered in Berlin, perhaps it would cause me some problems in Sweden?

But if I don’t register now in Berlin, I’m technically breaking the contract with the landlord, and it could seem weird if come July I turn up and say ‘oh yeah, well I had this apartment in Berlin from 1st May, but am only registering now.’

I feel stuck either way, really. Do I need to now register my residence in Germany too? Is this even legal or possible to be in both Sweden and Germany?

And how would this impact my taxes? I earn all my money in Sweden, and still spend most of my time there, so I cannot see how it would impact it really.

It’s all very complicated and I really cannot find a straight answer anywhere.

Any advice appreciated for this Berlin newbie 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/05/2018 at 22:26

HI Ashley. If the question is : “does registering in Germany will cause you problems in Sweden?”, then i have no idea and you are better off with doing your own research. I am no expert in Swedish related taxes either… Sorry.

• Reply Olusola 01/05/2018 at 13:34

I have been in berlin now for 11months, and have the anmeldung for my apartment. My husband will be joining me in two weeks. Please, how do I go about his Anmeldung so that the ZDF does not start sending him bills too.

Sola (from Nigeria)

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/05/2018 at 22:28

Hi Olusola. If they send a bill to him too, he just needs to reply that you are paying already for the household. More info in this post.

• Reply Marina 28/04/2018 at 13:47

Hi! We are a married couple and we managed to do an appointment for Anmeldung. However, I made 2 separate appointments one after the other (9.30 and 9.40). I know that we have to register together since we are a couple, however, when I was doing booking online there was only one slot for name and surname! Maybe there is one slot only to simply link the name to appointment?And number of people does not matter? Should I cancel a second booking or should I keep both?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/04/2018 at 09:13

Hi Marina. Both methods are valid, you can either register separately or with the same appointment.

• Reply Faheem Zunjani 25/04/2018 at 08:08

Thank you for your helpful article.
    I am a third-year undergraduate student at the Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, India. I have been invited for a research stay at the Human-Centered Computing group, Freie Universitat, Berlin from May 13, 2018 to July 25, 2018. I will be paid a monthly stipend during my stay there. My stay is less than 3 months (~75 days). I am guessing that I will need to open a bank account to get the stipend. Is it necessary to have Anmeldung to open a bank account in Berlin? Is Anmeldung applicable to me?

Thank you for your help!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 30/04/2018 at 09:18

Hi Faheem, i would direct you to that post for more info.

• Reply Harish 19/04/2018 at 11:51

Greetings,

This website gives good information for newbies. I am Harish(Indian) living in Vienna. I have got new working contract in magdeburg from May 1st 2018. I have also got new housing contract from May 1st 2018. So can i anmeldung now before moving into new house?
    Because i need this anmeldung document for my visa.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/06/2018 at 14:39

Hi Harish. You cannot register before the move-in date stated on your rental contract i’m afraid.

• Reply Stefica 11/04/2018 at 19:52

Hello! Your posts have been so helpful with my transition to Germany! Thank you so much.

I have a question about the anmeldung and haven’t come across a conclusive answer. A little backstory: I had planned to live in Berlin and scheduled my visa appointment months ago for May in Berlin (did my research and learned appointments are booked really far in advance). Plans changed a bit and I’m thinking to stay in Hamburg and have the opportunity to register at a flat here. Can I still keep my visa appointment in Berlin and show up with an anmeldung registration from Hamburg? Thanks so much!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/04/2018 at 08:41

Hi Stefica. I am no expert in visa applications but yes, i guess it is, unless the application process requires you to insert your exact address when booking an appointment. It is maybe best to ask the Ausländerbehörde directly.

• Reply Miryam 25/03/2018 at 16:41

Thank you for this information.
    I signed a contract with the tenant and she is not allowing me to register because the landlord doesn’t know about it.
    I didn’t move in yet, can I cancel the contract since she is not telling the landlord?
    She said she will ask him but in case he says no, can I cancel the contract and not pay the rent??

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 28/03/2018 at 19:23

Hi Miryam. This is just an opinion but my guess would be yes because the landlord must be made aware if there is a subtenant. If the landlord was not aware, then the contract is not valid.

• Reply stk 10/03/2018 at 19:38

Hi! Your blog has been very helpful! Me and my boyfriend landed in Berlin two weeks again and yesterday we have finally done our Anmeldung.
    So here’s a question maybe you would be able to help us.. I used to live in Rotterdam (Holland); once I registered with the City Hall, they give me an ID card in around 1 week. Obviously, this time when I register (Anmeldung), I was not asked for my fingerprint or a photo, so I believe there will be no German ID card for me..
    My question is.. is it a must to have a German ID card or I can use my own passport? If I do want a German national ID card, am I allowed to and how should I apply for it? I have checked some websites but not much information given to non-German.
    Thanks in advance!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 11/03/2018 at 17:18

Hi there. You can use your own passport.

• Reply Marcelo 12/03/2018 at 18:57

Hey, how are you? I have a question! I need to do Anmeldung and I was wondering if you did it with the letter of a friend stating you live in there place? If you did it like that I assume it’s still valid? Thanks!

• Reply Francesco 26/02/2018 at 22:26

Hey! How are you?
    I am here in Berlin doing a mandatory internship (I study in Denmark) for 5 months. It seems that I don’t need the taxID because I will not pay taxes over my salary. Do I need to have the anmeldung? I can not find a flat yet, and all the options are without possible registration.

• Reply Karthik Manoharan 16/02/2018 at 16:49

This is Karthik. I have got my residence registered on 31.01.2018 in Berlin. However I haven’t got the tax number yet. I heard that a letter will be sent in post to my address, but it’s been more than 15 days. Is there a way to track this or a way to get the tax number? Thanks in advance

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/02/2018 at 11:11

Hi Karthik. See this post.

• Reply Karthik Manoharan 17/02/2018 at 13:08

Thanks a lot

• Reply Ema 13/02/2018 at 13:05

Hello, could anyone that recently done this confirm that a letter from a friend still really works? Thanks a lot!

• Reply Mark 05/03/2018 at 12:52

worked for me even without the letter and the contract.

• Reply Antonia 15/03/2018 at 14:41

which Bürgeramt did you go to? Were you not asked to provide a form signed by the landlord? has anyone else had this experience? Thanks so much!

• Reply Fredd 19/04/2018 at 13:39

Hey. We went to the burgeramt in schöneweide, we brought only ID, the filled out form, and a letter from our friend who we are living with. Worked out fine!

• Reply Karen 10/02/2018 at 19:29

Wow! Such an informative site – thank you for putting it all together.

I am coming to Dusseldorf (not Berlin, but…) from the U.K. I will stay at a hotel for a few weeks to a month to get myself sorted. Seeing as I have to register within 14-days, can I register with a hotel address (I assume not)?! Therefore do you happen to know what to do in this case? Can I register after I have found a place to live (will this involve leaving the country and coming back in?) Is it a big problem if I don’t register within 14-days?

I don’t suppose you know…?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/02/2018 at 08:36

Hi Karen. No one will tell you anything if you can’t register within 14 days. You can in theory register at a hotel/hostel but it’s rare that a hotel manager will let you do that and provide the right documents.

• Reply Monica 09/02/2018 at 09:54

Many many thanks for your website, it’s very useful for newbies like us! Just an update we think will be useful for everyone: we went yesterday to register our residence in Berlin ( first time) at Rathaus Mitte. They did not charge anything, and they said that we will receive in the mail the Tax Number from the fiscal authorities. So they no longer issue that.

• Reply Asish 07/02/2018 at 22:17

Hi . Im from India and im staying at a hotel in Berlin and im studying in Berlin as well for rent now. I have my cousin brother staying in frankfurt and he has his own house . Is it possible if i do the anmeldung in Frankfurt and come and stay in a rented appartment where anmeldung is not possible. Will that affect my further processes or visa extension proceedures?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/02/2018 at 08:24

Hi Asish. That could be a good temporary solution in my opinion yes but beware that you might have to do frequent travels to Frankfurt to make some admin stuff sometimes.

• Reply Mike 06/02/2018 at 15:26

Hi. Thanks for the post.
    I am a British citizen from the UK.
    Does the Burgerampt or the finance office automatically notify any agency in the UK of registration?

This is critical because I am only reistering a second address in Berlin for term time as a student and my UK address is paid for by housing support .T heres now a law in the UK that any British citizen living abroad 3 months or more loses all entitlements to NHS treatment or benefits. I have already had the nasty experience of a massive bill for routine NHS appointments after a short time away and had to prove that I was continuously resident in the UK.
    Basically, to recap, do the German authorities routinely pass on any kind of declaration of residence in Germany to UK authorities? Obviously they would if asked for police or security matters but thats not the issue, only routine officialdom.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/02/2018 at 21:55

Hi Mike. I don’t know. I never heard of this before.

• Reply Dwu 05/02/2018 at 16:58

I am moving to Berlin from Leipzig. Do I need to wait in line in person to re-register my new address or can I simply send something in by post?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/02/2018 at 20:37

Hi Doris. You need to be there in person with your person ID doc, or someone can represent you, as mentioned in the post.

• Reply Jim 01/02/2018 at 21:27

Hello Mr. Bastien

I’m 30 years old guy from Kosovo and got a 3-year working contract from one Restaurant in Germany. Now the owner of restaurant is asking me 400 euros for so-called caution for apartment in order to have a residency address.
    Do I need that address in order to get my working visa in Embassy? I think its only a scam ,,,

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/02/2018 at 20:14

Hi Jim. I am sorry; i am not knowledgeable in visa issues. However, asking for a deposit to a tenant for an apartment is common practice. Just make sure this doesn’t turn into some blackmailing situation.

• Reply Haris Malek 31/01/2018 at 15:22

Thank you for your article.
    We are Cyprus citizens and Cyprus tax payers. We bought a flat in Berlin as a holiday home since our primary residence is in Cyprus. The flat will be ready in April 2018. We will be visiting Berlin for few weeks every year. We have been told that if we do the normal registration we will get a German tax number and then have a tax file. However, they told us that there is a second type of registration when the flat in Berlin is not our primary residence. is this true? With this type of registration we do not get automatically a tax number but we are able to get parking permit, internet contracts etc.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/02/2018 at 19:41

Hi Haris. I don’t have that kind of information for non-residents. Sorry.

• Reply Md Arifnoor Chowdhury 26/01/2018 at 23:06

Hi! Thanks for sharing this. I will be in Frankfurt with my full family and I’m staying at an Airbnb temporarily (33 days aprox.) while I look for a more long-term apartment. Is the Airbnb receipt accepted for Anmeldung? Do they asked as well kids birth certificate and marriage certificate in German translation copy. Please reply to me soon.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/01/2018 at 10:06

Hi there. The documents you need to register are listed in the post. An airbnb receipt is not on the list.

• Reply Tml 23/01/2018 at 10:04

Thank you for the great website!
    My colleague told me that it would be possible to do “a temporary anmeldung” because I don’t have a flat yet. I will be staying in “a business apartment” / hotel for a month. Do you know if that really is possible and if the process is somehow different in this case than with the regular one? If you know this system, do you know how it is called in German?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/01/2018 at 09:37

Hi Tml. I have never heard of special procedure like this. You can register at the apartment or hotel if the landlord agrees to that.

• Reply Ty 22/01/2018 at 17:23

This is very helpful, though I’m a bit confused. I’m from the USA and have just moved here. I have signed a lease for an apartment and am now looking to get residency as a freelancer. Do I need to go to the Auslanderbehorde in Wedding or Charlottenberg, or can I apply for this same residency at a Burgeramt? When I sign up for an appointment at the Auslanderbehorde they made me specify which residency I was applying for, and the first appointment wasn’t for months. But at the Burgeramt I could make one for next week. I would appreciate any insight!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 27/01/2018 at 09:35

Hi Ty. I think you need to clear that out with the Foreigner’s office.

• Reply Mathias H. 16/01/2018 at 13:06

Hi! Great article, thank for sharing! I just arrived in Berlin and I’m staying at an Airbnb temporarily (50 days aprox.) while I look for a more long-term apartment. Is the Airbnb receipt accepted for Anmeldung? Danke!

• Reply Nat 05/01/2018 at 12:18

Hi, my boyfriend and I have the most amazing sublet except she won’t let us register, we are registered at our old apartment but obviously need to de register will this cancel our work permits? I’m so stressed

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/01/2018 at 11:16

Hi Nat. I have no experience in visa related issues so i can’t tell you how it can impact your work permit sorry.

• Reply vanessie 10/01/2018 at 07:58

Hello, is the registration free of charge? I just registered online but they sent me a note with these sentences “Payment Information:
      At the site can only be paid with girocard (with PIN) (formerly EC card). (no cash payment)”. But I wouldn’t have the bank card ready!

Please let me know, thank you!

• Reply Bettina 20/01/2018 at 12:12

I just registered, and also thought because of that note that there would be a fee, but registration is free. The visa is what costs!

• Reply Antoine Dutauziet 19/12/2017 at 15:12

1st, I am right now settling in Berlin, and I want to thank you for creating this amazing website, which has been such a help for me, and still is! 🙂

Let’s get to the point: I did my anmeldung today without any appointment, within 1 hour and with friendly and competent staff. Here is the place to go:
    Bürgeramt Berlin Pankow, Breite Str. 24a-26, 13187 Berlin.
    Why is it not on the list?? 😉 Add it please, this is my golden nugget to you guys!

Keep sharing good tips, cheers,
    Antoine

• Reply Nura 12/12/2017 at 12:04

Hi Bastien, in my case. I have an offer to do an internship outside Germany for 3 months. I am a non european student in Germany with a student visa. But the thing is, I have to leave my apartment as it is not possible to sublet it. Do you think it will be a problem if I come back after 3 months and then do a new anmeldung with a different address? Thank you for your help.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/12/2017 at 22:47

Hi Nura. I don’T see why this should be an issue. You have a right to change adresses.

• Reply Karl 08/12/2017 at 15:21

I will start a new job in Germany from the 1st of January ( IT consultant) , and I will be living mostly in hotels throughout Germany during the week and go back to my home country on the weekends (EU)… Because I will stay more than 183 days per year in Germany I have to register with an address and also at the Finanzamt… Question: can I register my address in Germany on my hiring companies address? Also the fiscal registration?

Regards,
    Karl

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/12/2017 at 11:25

Hi Karl. This is quite unheard of; why don’t you ask your HR people?

• Reply Matthew Flynn 07/12/2017 at 19:24

Hey, thanks for the article. My issue is I am changing my address, but I am over twelve months late in doing so. I have read around that there are fines for this, and was just wondering if you have any info on these fines? Thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/12/2017 at 11:20

Hi Matthew, yes there are fines, but i have never heard of them being enforced. I don’t know about the amounts.

• Reply Emily 07/12/2017 at 18:23

This is perfect, thank you!
    One question – do my boyfriend and I need to have separate appointments or are we able to go to the same one? We are living together but not married.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/12/2017 at 11:19

Hi Emily. You can go together.

• Reply CK 04/12/2017 at 20:56

Hello! I just moved to Berlin a few days ago for job interviews. I am under the visitor’s visa and planning to stay at AirBnB homes for the next three months.
    My question is: Would I need to do Anmeldung? Would it be a problem later that I didn’t do Anmeldung until I land a job and find a permanent address? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/12/2017 at 21:24

Hi Clara. In theory, if you are staying as tourist, there is no need to register. If you plan to find a job and settle here, it’s probably a good idea to take care of that as soon as possib.e

• Reply sara albero 30/11/2017 at 15:34

Really good article!
    Another Tip for those who still haven’t learned German and don’t want to be translating the form to fill it up!
    There is a multi-lingual Chatbot of Fb Messenger, AiRelo, that assists you to get the main form in German through some next step questions, and in less than 10 min (what it took me to use it) you have the form completed in German in your email inbox.
    This link brings you to the chat- https://www.messenger.com/t/AiReloMe
    Hope this is a useful tip! 8)

• Reply sara 28/11/2017 at 21:17

Hi, Do you know if taking a letter from a friend to say you are staying there on a temp basis still works? I was told by someone this is no longer the case. Would the only docs I then need be my passport, the letter from my friend and their lease for registering? I am struggling to find an address to register and keen to find work

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/11/2017 at 20:47

Hi Sara, all the documents listed in the post are required.

• Reply Daniel 26/11/2017 at 17:06

Do you need to show proof of health insurance in order to register for the anmeldung? I thought I read this somewhere, but don’t see it on the list of requirements here. Thank you for a really great and informative website.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/11/2017 at 20:26

Hi Daniel. No, that’s not needed.

• Reply Tanya 21/11/2017 at 22:01

This has been such a useful article, there is VERY little info online?! I’m an aussie moving over in January – I already have a working holiday visa. My question is, can I do my anmeldung whilst in Germany priory to actually moving there (currently in London)? I also don’t have somewhere to live yet, however, I do have a contract from an employer as I have been offered a job. Can I take this instead? Or use a hotel confirmation? I need my registration complete to obtain a tax number so I can be paid. Ideally I need to be paid while I am staying in an air bnb looking for a fixed address. Any ideas? THANK YOU

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/11/2017 at 18:57

Hi Tanya, you are in the same vicious circle as many people: you need a place in Germany to register here, temporary or not. You need a paper from a landlord/main tenant so you can register. If you manage to find that, then you are good to go, regardless of the rest.

• Reply Annie 21/11/2017 at 18:42

Hi guys, i know some things are changing during the period of time… is it still really ok to have a letter from a friend where i am temporarily staying? I know in the post it says so… but have seen somwehere its necessary to have a letter from the owner… Thank you so much! My german is still not that good so am not sure if i translated everything well.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 23/11/2017 at 18:18

Hi Annie, in theory yes, the letter always has to be from the owner has by law, the owner has to be aware who is living there. SOme people use their friends to fill that in and it seems to be enough for a lot of cases.

• Reply David 15/11/2017 at 23:33

Do you need just one appointment for a family registering together? We are a couple with one child. Thanks!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 18/11/2017 at 14:50

Yes, it’s fine.

• Reply Liz 13/11/2017 at 12:22

Thanks for this very useful article!
    I have a quick question: I research a little bit about it without finding a simple response, maybe you can help. Can I register for someone else if I have all their documents? Or do I need an additional power of attorney in their name? If yes, would you have a link/example I could use? Thanks in advance for your time!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/11/2017 at 17:44

Hi Liz. The answer is in the post. Please read again.

• Reply Puneet 08/11/2017 at 23:11

I am of Indian origin and have been living in Berlin since April, 2016. I did the city registration in May, 2016 and received the Anmeldung successfully. Now my wife would be joining me in couple of months. She went for her Visa Interview at the German Embassy in India. There she was asked for proof of accommodation in Germany. She provided them with a copy of my Anmeldung. The Visa Executive said that the Anmeldung should bear the date of within last six months. So do I need to again get a new Anmeldung for the same address. As far as I know City Registration is a one time activity and needs to be done again only when I move to a different address. Please tell me if my knowledge is correct and what should I tell the Visa Representatives at the German Embassy in India?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/11/2017 at 21:42

Hi Puneet, i think they probably mean that the stamp on the Anmeldungsbescheinigung should be made within the last 6 months. Not the registration itself but the document that serves a proof. You might need to get a new copy at your local Bürgeramt.

• Reply Lin 08/11/2017 at 19:15

Hi! Thanks for all the useful info! Does anyone know which Burgerämter receive you without an appointment? The one I am trying to go says that it is only with appointment…

• Reply Tom 08/11/2017 at 10:57

Hello I’m Tom,
    This artical is amazing and I’ve been searching for something like this for hours. Thank you.
    I have one question and it’s a little off subject so completely understandable if you can’t awnser it.
    I’m a New Zealander, I’ve been living in berlin for 2 days in an air bnb. I want to start working as soon as possible. New Zealanders don’t need a visa to enter germany but to work we need to get one in the country. My question is; Do I need a Anmeldungbescheiningung (registration certificate) to get a temporary working visa/ working holiday visa?

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/11/2017 at 18:08

Hi Tom. I’m not knowledgeable in visa issues, sorry.

• Reply Tanya 21/11/2017 at 21:54

No you don’t – but you do need it to obtain a tax number, which is what employers in German require to pay you.

• Reply Augusto 01/11/2017 at 19:27

I have a question. My girlfriend is coming from our home country and she’ll be living with me. She has to do her Anmeldung and I asked the landlord the document that she’s going to live with me, but he said he can provide that only if we change the contract and add her name on it. I would like to avoid that hassle. So my question is can I use this letter you provided a sample? What else is necessary? Do I have to go in person with her? Do I have to provide any other document alongside this letter?
    Thanks.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/11/2017 at 09:41

Hi Augusto, all answers are in the post. Unfortunately, the landlord defines the rules in this case. So in theory, she is not able to register at your place. What you do in practice is up to you.

• Reply Md Saiful Islam 11/10/2017 at 19:00

Hello I am a student of SRH Berlin. I am doing my classes from Potsdam to Berlin which takes around 30 minutes. I am living with my friend. I have done my anmeldung in Potsdam Burgeramt office. I need to know for residence permit where should I apply. I can apply in Berlin foreign registration office or I have to apply in Potsdam.
    Best regards

• Reply David 09/10/2017 at 22:19

today, I succesfully did my anmeldung (thanks to your tips). But at home I realized that on the document I received is wrong house number. What is the easiest way to resolve this? Do I need to go to burgeramt again and ask for a change? I am afraid that this way I wont receive my tax-id, which I need for the work.

David

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 10/10/2017 at 10:53

Hi David. There is no magic way to do this, you need to go again to fix this.

• Reply Curtis 09/10/2017 at 09:47

Well after reading on multiple website and keeping your website as main info, I was prepared to be waiting for hour to do my regsitration (Anmeldung) without an appointment ( or termin as they call it here) and being annoyed along the way.

As adviced I just arrived 10 minutes before opening of the Burgeramt 08.00 AM and showed up at the informationdesk. The lady just wanted to know if I had the bestätigung des Wohnungsgebers (confirmationletter of your landlord/renter) and had to wait in the waitingroom until my waitingnumber she gave me showed up…at 08.24 AM and to my big surprise my turn was just a few mintues later…which I almost missed because I did not pa attention because I thought I would have to wait for 2 hours….haha……… so relieved.

I was registered promptly, they took a copy of my passport and they kept my confirmationletter of the landlord which i don’t need anymore) and she said I would receive my steuernummer in 2 weeks… well I almost want to believe her about the Steuernummer, because everything went surprisingly smoothly… so I advice you show up 15 minute before openingtime and you are one of the first to show up without a reservation (termin they call it here) it still can go very swiftly.

Good luck y’all!

• Reply Julia 20/10/2017 at 15:39

Hi, can you please mention which Burgeramt was it?

• Reply Dominik Grzebka 03/10/2017 at 11:20

Good stuff, thank you for that article.
    I have a question, as I can’t seem to find any info on that in google.
    We found a nice flat in Berlin, but our future Vermieter says she can’t give us Anmeldung, because she and her partner are only renting the flat to us for 3 months, after which they are coming back (we just rent the flat for 3 months to get started in Berlin) and they don’t want to de-register themselves. She wasn’t however sure if this is how it works herself…
    Now my question is: is it not possible to register additional 2 people, on top of the originally 2 registered in a flat (e.g. is there some ‘limit’?) Also, is there any cost for the Vermieter related to us registering there?
    I appreciate any advice!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/10/2017 at 16:33

Hi Dominik. To my knowledge, there is no such limitations. Also, there aren’t any costs.

• Reply Chloe 30/09/2017 at 19:38

Thanks so much for this very useful information. If I send somebody to register on my behalf, do I need to sign a letter that confirms that they can act on my behalf? If yes, do you know if there is a template I can use.

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/10/2017 at 14:32

Hi Chloe, this is a good question. Although it is not specified on the Berlin portal, it is a good idea. I dont’ know any templates though.

• Reply Ana 27/09/2017 at 14:48

It might be useful to add that for those in a hurry, the website where you apply for an appointment updates the cancellations around 8am, and at that time you can find plenty of available appointments even for the same day or couple of days. When I did my Anmeldung, I checked the website around 8am, found an appointment at 11am on the same day and registered hassle free.

• Reply Diana 03/10/2017 at 12:14

Hey Ana, how long ago was this? Is this recent? Would that still be the case? Dankee!

• Reply Rebeca 02/01/2018 at 21:40

Hi Ana,

Could you please let me know the website you mentioned? It will be really helpful!

• Reply Samir Abdo 23/09/2017 at 23:37

Thank you for the informative article. Is the letter from the “Hauptmieter” enough or does he also need to fill out the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”. Is a “Mietvertrag” required? The reason I’m asking is that a friend that recently registered was asked to provide the lease. Thank you!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/09/2017 at 11:18

Hi Samir, please the read the post again, the answer is in the FAQs. thanks.

• Reply Irem 13/09/2017 at 20:33

Great article, thank you for enlightening us.
    Our situation is; we are going to rent a place as untermieterins. and the Untermietvertrag will contain my friend’s name only not mine. This is the problem. However we will be living together. So for Anmeldung, is the letter that I’ll get from the HauptmieterIn enough and valid? Do I also have to get a letter from the landlord as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

• Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/09/2017 at 09:52

Hi Irem, as mentioned many times before; in theory, you have to have an authorization of the landlord but in practice, people get a letter from the Hauptmieter and get away with it.

1 3 4 5 6