Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german An/melden, to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisite to an easy and fast settlement in Berlin or anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering yourself as living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the  “Anmeldungbescheinigung” , literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. Now if you haven’t found your flat, don’t panic! A simple letter from a friend or from the people letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 4 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 4 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.


All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

  • Bring your ID
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from your landlord (document below or here)
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.


This might be what it feels like sometimes.

This might be what it feels like sometimes.

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to perform that.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt fast

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times (For Berlin, use this link and scroll down). However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before (in Berlin anyway). Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!


  • During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Update February 2016 : The city has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung.
    Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.



  • “I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?”
    The german administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.
  • “I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?”
    This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.
  • “Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment online or when i call is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.”
    Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket.
  • “Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirke where i live?”
    You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointement sooner.
  • “I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?”
    Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.


Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.


Bürgeramt 1
Yorckstr. 4 – 11, 10965 Berlin, Main Entrance, 3rd Floor

Bürgeramt 2
Schlesische Str. 27 A, 10997 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Frankfurter Allee 35/37, 10247 Berlin, Entrance B


Bürgeramt Rathaus Neukölln
Karl-Marx-Str. 83
12043 Berlin – Neukölln


Bürgeramt 1
Mathilde-Jacob-Platz 1
10551 Berlin

Bürgeramt 2
Karl-Marx-Allee 31
10178 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Müllerstr. 147
13353 Berlin


Rathaus Charlottenburg
Otto-Suhr-Allee 100,
10585 Berlin.

Hohenzollerndamm 177,
10713 Berlin.

Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.


  • Reply Joanne Dillon 12/03/2017 at 17:12

    Hi there,

    Would be very grateful if you could please help me with my dilemma.

    I am staying in Berlin for a mere three months and plan to do a casual job (barwork). Is it necessary for me to register at the Bürgeramt or can I get by without doing so? I am a EU citizen.

    The problem is that I have taken a room off a friend for a month before I “officially” move in and sign a lease. That is to say the landlord doesn’t know I am subletting and can’t find out. Do you really think it’s ok if my friend who is a registered tenant signs the accommodation form for me so I can start working?
    Are landlords notified when new people register at their addresses?

    Thanks so much for your help!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/03/2017 at 09:22

      Hi Joanne. As mentioned in the post, i do not say if it’s ok or not to have your friend signing the confirmation from. I only say that people do it and get away with it. To my knowledge, landlords do not get notifications but they can ask the Bürgeramt to find out if they have a doubt and even unregister you if the lease has ended, or if it was no legal. If you don’t want to register for this job, i guess it would be paid under the table, which is not legal as you probably know.

  • Reply Hélio 03/03/2017 at 13:02

    Hello, thank you for the information! Me and my girlfriend have just arrived in the city and are staying in a friends apartment. Since she’s not the owner of the apartment we would need a letter from her and the “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” is that right? Do we also need the confirmation that we moved in by her landlord? Also I don’t understand if we need the anmeldung for renting an apartment through a real estate agency. Thank you in advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/03/2017 at 16:15

      Hello Hélio. All documents you need are already mentioned in the post. As for your last question: You need your Anmeldungbescheinigung for almost all things in Germany. If you rent through a real estate agency, they can put you in touch with the Hausverwaltung to obtain the moving confirmation from them. They are probably used to that.

  • Reply Ludovica 02/03/2017 at 20:25

    First of all thanks for all the infos and your work, really helpful!
    Then, I really need to do the Anmeldung, as I found a work and the boss mentioned me some days ago that I need to do it in two weeks. The problem is that I just started to subrent a room informally.
    You said that it’s possible to register as “guest”, but I didn’t get which documents must be brought to the Burgeramt and if I can skip the landlord’s confirmation someway.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/03/2017 at 12:14

      Hello Ludovica. It is all mentioned in the post; renting informally makes it very difficult if not impossible to register at the Bürgeramt precisely because there are no contracts or agreements to prove that you live there. You will need to find another solution to register or negotiate something with your current informal situation.

  • Reply Elden 21/02/2017 at 15:48


    I just contacted the registration office and they informed me that a letter from my friend and the registration for are not sufficient to register with a city. Is it possible they are wrong or did I miss something?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/02/2017 at 09:32

      Hi Elden. Up until now this is quite unheard of and it has always worked out. This is strange. Maybe it’s the typical difference between the theory of the process and what can be done in practice?

  • Reply Shelley 20/02/2017 at 13:24


    Thanks for this info! I am planning to move to Berlin soon and was so confused about the whole process. The one issue I am finding is that in order to register and pay the fee, they only accept Girocard and not cash. But in order to get a Girocard, you need to have a bank account. And in order to open a bank account in Berlin, don’t you need to be registered first?

    Any insight on this? Thanks!

  • Reply Rhiannon 16/02/2017 at 18:01

    Hi there,

    Thanks for your information in the article! Myself and my boyfriend have moved here, and have signed a contract for an apartment starting on the 25.4.2017. We are staying in an air bnb at the moment which is the same landlord who’s flat we have signed for. We are unable to register at our current place but can register at the current place, is there any way of registering the flat before we move in? If not could we get a letter of the guy who owns this flat to say we are temporarily living there? Thanks!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/02/2017 at 09:38

      Hi Rhiannon, to my knowledge, you can’t register before the date that is put in the contract. What you propose is a good idea to work around that problem but it of course depends on his willingness to provide that letter. good luck.

  • Reply Mark Garnett 16/02/2017 at 17:16

    Hi, question – so we have found a place to which we can register (finally!) but we cannot move in until the 25th April. Is there any way to register before moving in? Also, what are the rules around working un-registered? Is it legal? illegal? I may have a job that starts 1st March and I don’t want to lose it because I’m waiting for registration!

    Please help! Thanks 🙂

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/02/2017 at 09:37

      Hi Mark. You need to be registered to obtain a tax ID (more info on that here) that will allow you to work. To my knowledge, you can’t register before the date that is put in the contract.

  • Reply Irene K. 15/02/2017 at 14:12

    Hi, many thanks for the info. Do you also know the procedure for registering children? Do they need to be present? Do you need to show translated birth certificates or are the passports enough? Thanks.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 16/02/2017 at 09:46

      Hi Irene. They don’t need to be present with you. Just fill in an extra-sheet with their name on it. You need to bring their passports and something that proves they are your children. Translated birth certificates will do it.

  • Reply Sol 14/02/2017 at 21:00

    Hello there and thanks in advance/for the already helpful info! So I registered at an address when first moving here in August, then moved to a new address where I was imminently getting into the group meite contract in September. Partly due to my lax flatmate(s) and partly due to the terribly slow speed of the landlords taking at least 2 phone calls a week to get anything one step onwards, I am still not in the contract but it should be done within a couple weeks now. I desperately need to register at this address for freelance bureaucracy amongst other things. I asked one of my flatemates to sign a sublet form so I could just at least be registered here but as per the new(ish) laws its not exactly legitimate without asking the landlords first. so my question: do you think i should i just go and get registered and when the contract goes through it will be a legitimate situation anyway, or, do you think i should ring them and ask whether i can do it this way round as their office (in some capacity) is aware i’m imminently becoming part of the contract. Cheers and sorry if this seems like a stupid question!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/02/2017 at 09:42

      Hi Sol. It’s not a stupid question. You have outlined yourself the 2 ways you can solve this problem already. Both options are valid. It’s up to you to make a decision.

  • Reply Foroogh 10/02/2017 at 00:21

    Hi there
    thanks a lot for the nice and helpful explanation. My question is if my boyfriend can register in my address for a short term period without needing to tell the landlord? Is it like an automatic awareness goes for landlord if anyone registers in the address?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 10/02/2017 at 09:59

      Hi there. It is mentioned in the post. You are the main tenant and your boyfriend is the subtenant. Your landlord is suppose to know and agree to this by law. It’s up to you to take the risk. There is no automated notification going to the landlord.

  • Reply Fabio 09/02/2017 at 00:52

    Hello.Thank you for your nice explanation.
    I think I have unintentionally fallen into a big problem.
    I was living in studentenwohnheim for 1 year.I already had received my tax id .Then I went for internship outside EU for 4 months cancelling wohnheim contract.But while leaving Germany I didn’t inform the municipality about my finished contract and leaving the country.
    I came back after 4 month and started living in a shared flat with a friend using a c/o address for my University and insurance company.
    So my first question is, will my studentenwerk inform municipality about my finished contract and I be already deregistered in municipality ?Other student has started living in my wohnheim room.
    Now after 17 months (including internship period), I am planning to take a room in another city and engage in my regular job.My second question is, will my new city(state is Saxony) ask details regarding my previous stays?If they ask what if I write my old wohnheim address?
    I had no idea it would be that serious so I lived providing a c/o address to my University and insurance.Now I feel really scared.Please let me know.I am a non-EU citizen.
    Thank you.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/02/2017 at 11:29

      Hello Fabio. This is a difficult situation but i don’t think you should panic just yet. Only your Studentenwohnheim knows if they have unregistered you at the Standesamt. What i can say is that they have the right to do that. When you register again in Saxony, simply give your last registered address. It is very unlikely that they will ask questions and that you will get in trouble for that. It’s simply unheard of. If they ask questions, just be honest and say you didn’t know. If you do get in trouble, can you please report it back here so i can warn others? good luck.

      • Reply Fabio 09/02/2017 at 19:02

        Thank you for the reply and suggestion.I will let you know for sure about what happens.

  • Reply Adham 06/02/2017 at 15:23

    I have a question.
    I have beenot living in berlin for 2 months and a half without an anmeldung because the person iam subletting the room from is not registered in his apartment, but now I found a flat that can give me an anmeldung, will this be a problem?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/02/2017 at 15:55

      Hi Adham. This won’t probably be a problem.

  • Reply EVI 05/02/2017 at 11:52

    Hallo and a million thanks for the tips!! I happen to be starting a new job here in Berlin as a Werkstudent, for which I need my ID-steuer nummer that I already have! However, I will be working from home and from March I will be working from abroad, as I will no longer be renting my appartment here! Do you happen to know if with the Abmeldung procedure my Steuernummer is cancelled too? Will I have any problems if I am abmelded (meaning I do not live in Berlin) but work? Is it maybe better if I bring my work contract to the Burgeramt so they are informed of the situation?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/02/2017 at 16:02

      Hi Evi. You are perfectly entitled to work for a german company from abroad so there shouldn’t be a problem of that. You just need to make sure to pay your taxes somewhere (either to Germany or wherever you are moving to in March). When you leave, you need to make a choice regarding this and inform the Finanzamt of your choice.

  • Reply Cristina 01/02/2017 at 07:13

    Hi there, thanks for the great article. One question, I can simply print out Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde you linked above and bring it with me with other documents right? I remember the last time I had to fill it out there, get back to the line and get the number… so I want to avoid that mistake.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/02/2017 at 09:52

      Hi Cristina. You can fill it in at home and bring it with your other documents.

      • Reply Natasha 03/02/2017 at 13:08

        Thank you so much for your post – it clarified a lot for me! I came to Berlin a week ago and I am staying with my friends until 1st of March when I get my dorm room. So, it will be five weeks after I came to Berlin (from abroad) till I can properly register – will there be any consequences in this case? Can you recommend how to act in this case – just wait till 1st of March and register then?
        It is very sad that I cannot take books out of the library, though I am a HU student, without registration but if it’s the only consequence, I will live with that.
        Thank you in advance for your answer!

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/02/2017 at 15:23

          Hi Natasha. There won’t be any consequences or punishment coming from the Bürgeramt since you will register as soon as your contract starts. Just register in March.

  • Reply Andrej 24/01/2017 at 11:55

    Hello, thanks for the useful and well presented info!

    So, I have a job here in Berlin and I was registered to a place starting 28 November. After 16 December, I sub rented an apartment up until 10 January. Only document I have is a pretty basic internet downloadable sub-lease document. Then, I sub-rented another apartment until now. Thing is, I found out that the guy that I registered in the first place, has unregistered (un-Anmelded) me in December. So now I am looking for a place to register at this moment and even when I get this, I will have a gap of about a month in which I haven’t been registered anywhere in Germany. Do you think I will have to pay a fine for this period? And do you have any suggestions maybe on how to deal with the situation? Thanks again!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 24/01/2017 at 17:53

      Hello Andrej. Even though this is not an ideal situation, it’s unheard of (here and across other forums) to get a fine because you failed to register, especially if you are not in a stable situation now. It should be ok. If by any chance, you do get a fine, please report it back here so i can amend this post. Good luck.

  • Reply Alex 19/01/2017 at 13:32

    Thanks for the great write up. I moved into my apartment quite a few months ago now, having moved from a different address in Berlin at which I was registered, and wasn’t able to get an appointment straight away. I’ve so far found it impossible to fit an appointment in around my work schedule and I’ve now left it far too late to justify not having registered. I want to register as soon as possible but I’m now way past the 14 day deadline and am not sure how best to resolve it. Is there a fine for registering after this deadline has passed? What other nasty surprises await me when I finally face the music and go to the Bürgeramt?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/01/2017 at 15:40

      Hi Alex. The German administration knows that it’s really quite difficult to do it within the theoretical 14 days. There is little to no chance that you’d receive a fine for this or something like that. Do let us know here if that is the case. It would be a first.

  • Reply Thomas 10/01/2017 at 20:41

    Hello. This is the most usefull topic ever for me. Thanks so much for your helpful information. Here is my case, I just left one apartment that I registered in and lived there for 7 months and still not find a good one to live pemernently now. But my old landlord, he wants me to show him up the new Anmeldung to prove that I already un-registered of his house. So, He can “Anmeldung” for the new tenant. Is it necessary? I heard from someone that I don’t have to follow his request.
    And I can’t “Anmeldung” in the new apartment now because I haven’t found it yet. My question is whether my old landlord is allowed to see my new “Anmeldung”, I think it is confidential info and must be kept privately? And If I find the new apartment and “Anmeldung” there, will he be informed any information from Bürgeramt about it? By mail or by what?
    Or is he able to come to Bürgeramt and abmeldung me by himself? If I don’t show the new Anmeldung to him, what happens then? Thank you so much and wish you always be healthy ahead.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/01/2017 at 10:10

      Hello Thomas. I couldnt find any piece of law on this topic unfortunately but i have read on “Jura” forums that although you don’t have to prove you are not registered there anymore, the landlord can notify the Bürgeramt that the rental contract has ended and you don’t live there anymore. Again: this is only an opinion and not a professional legal advice.

  • Reply Marinda 06/01/2017 at 10:04

    Hi, sorry if I’m posting this twice… I don’t see the comment I just wrote, so I’m trying it again.

    I’m wondering if I can apply for the Anmeldung if I’m subletting from a ‘low income’ flat, and therefore can’t obtain the letter from the landlord ‘Wohnungsgeberbestätigung.’ I do have the subletting contract (I’m only staying for 3 months) but as I understand, the fact that it’s low income makes it more complicated to get the landlord involved (?)…..

    I saw on the website that a written confirmation is required from the landlord as of November 2015 – ‘Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers’ (see But perhaps this doesn’t apply for sublets?

    You see, I require registration in order to get a freelance work VISA, and I’ve been here since mid. December, so it will be longer than three months by the time I find a new flat.

    Thank you for this FANTASTIC blog, it’s been a life saver for me!

    Best, Marinda

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/01/2017 at 13:04

      Hi Marinda, It is also mentioned on the post above, you do need that landlord confirmation indeed. Are you maybe talking about flats with WBS?. Main tenants of such flats are not allowed to sub-rent them as the rent is subsidized by the city. This is probably why she/he told you it was not possible to register there. You will need to find another solution i’m afraid (if that’s really the case).

  • Reply Andrea 05/01/2017 at 17:07


    I did my Anmeldung the 31st of October and I still didn’t receive the tax number. I went in mid December to see what was going on to the Finazamt in Neukölln, and the lady told me that I should probably wait from 6 till 8 weeks, and then gave me a paper with the email address in Köln. It’s been more than 11 right now and I haven’t received it yet, are they actually able to hand this paper to me in the Finanzamt if I go back again or should I go to the Burgeramt or try to contact to this office in Köln?

    Thank you in advance, this was very very helpful!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 06/01/2017 at 13:50

      Hi Andrea. I’d go directly to your Finanzamt as it might be faster if it is requested from them directly. No guarantee though. Good luck with this.

  • Reply Celso 23/12/2016 at 15:14

    Quick question. I arrived in Berlin in March and did my registration in a friend’s flat. He was allowed to help me out with this so I could get my store number and so on. I lived there for a couple of months too and then moved into another flat where I couldn’t “melding” so I keep my registration there. He’s moving next week and I’m still looking for a flat where I can finally settle into my life and register. This means that I’m not going to be registered anywhere. I confess I’m really worried about this, afraid that this might cause me any troubles, especially at this moment, where I’m also looking for a new job. Are you familiar with any situation like this and course of actions?

    Thank you so much

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 26/12/2016 at 11:48

      Hi Celso. The only course of action is to do what you do already; looking for a more permanent flat. It’s not likely you are going to get into trouble for your job or other stuff for not updating your situation with the Bürgeramt (they are probably not going to chase you) but you should do so as soon as you can. Good luck with everything.

  • Reply Oleksandr 13/12/2016 at 19:01

    Hi, my son 17 years old is going to rent appartment in Berlin for one month to pass exams in different Studienkollegs. Any peculiarity for making Anmeldung for juniors this age like parents permition etc? Thanks

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/12/2016 at 10:24

      Hi Oleksandr, that’s a good question. Make sure that his name is on the rental contract as well and that the Wohnungsgebersbestätigung has his name on it too.

  • Reply Ena 12/12/2016 at 13:09

    I just got letter from Deutschlandradio. The letter is for Beitragsservice , for Rundfunkbeitrag. I registered in Burgeramt two weeks ago, but still not have Tax number.
    May you explain me more about this? Must make contract for paying?


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 12/12/2016 at 18:11

      Hi Ena, this is perfectly normal although not expected for a lot of new comers. I plan to write a post about this soon but in the meantime, here is some information in English about it.

  • Reply Chris 08/12/2016 at 12:58

    Hey everyone, quick quest.

    I have applied and received my Anmeldung but I have a small issue. I received a document with my number and my info but not the usual piece of paper with the stamp on it (document my employee requests now). I try to call the number to avoid waiting in long queus but no response. Any thoughts?

    Great article by the way.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/12/2016 at 15:12

      I’m sorry Chris; i think you are up for another round in AdventureLand. 🙂

  • Reply Anna 06/12/2016 at 18:40

    Hi, thank you for your blog.
    We found an apartment on Airbnb and our host is really helpful, he provided us with the signed contract and Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, but we still can`t register because the host is not the owner of this apartment. Officers in Burgeramt told us that we need Wohnungsgeberbestätigung signed by the owner or some document that proves that our host can rent the apartment to us. Host can provide us with the copy of his rent contract which states that he can rent the apartment to us.
    Will this document be sufficient to register?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 07/12/2016 at 09:47

      Hi Anna. In this case, if his contract has a clear indication he is allowed to sub-rent the place, it should be enough, but it depends how picky the Bürgeramt employee will be.

  • Reply Will 01/12/2016 at 13:07

    Hi, Really appreciate this site, it has lot of great info.

    I am planning to work in Germany over the next 12 months as a freelancer, I will not rent accommodation and will stay in a hotel 4 nights a week and return home at the weekends.

    Am I correct in saying that it is impossible for me to get a Anmeldung and therefor a tax number so that I can remit tax on earnings made Germany?

    If so what alternatives do I have? I understand that if I work in Germany for 12 months the German authorities would expect me to remit taxes there



    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/12/2016 at 18:38

      Hi Will. You would have to see with the hotel manager, if you are really staying all year-round in the same hotel, there might be a way to negotiate it. Other alternative would be to find a furnished flat for that time, which would be cheaper probably (on Wunderflats for example), register there and get an tax ID.

  • Reply Steve 29/11/2016 at 07:32

    Is it possible to to an anmeldung for somebody else if you have all their forms, ID etc, but they are not actually present?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 29/11/2016 at 10:10

      Hello Steven. As mentioned in the post; yes.

  • Reply Muizz 22/11/2016 at 11:37

    Hi, thanks for this great article. I’m currently living and registered at my rented apartment in Berlin. My wife will be joining me permanently very soon in the same apartment. In order to register her, would we need to get the landlord to sign the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 22/11/2016 at 16:17

      Hi Muizz, yes that would be best.

  • Reply Brian 18/11/2016 at 10:41


    for the Anmeldung process, each person living in the house/apartment should register right? My question is that do they need separate appointments or can a couple just use one appointment and get it done right away?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/11/2016 at 09:12

      Yes, I registered together with my GF with the same appointment for example.

      • Reply Alli 07/03/2017 at 18:32

        Hello Bastien

        Did you and your girlfriend register using the same form , or did you use 2 separate forms?

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 08/03/2017 at 09:19

          Hello Alexandra. You can only use the same form when you are part of the same family so this would be only possible if we were married. For girlfriends/boyfriends, use a separate form.

  • Reply Ena 14/11/2016 at 02:27

    I will come in Berlin on November 25. I am planning to stay for longer period. I will live with my boyfriend. He lives alone in apartment and has subtenant contract (Untermietvertrag).
    My questions are: Can I register in Bürgeramt only with his subtenant contract and a letter that is written and signed only by him? If I can, will I get tax identification number and right to look for a job?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/11/2016 at 10:27

      Hi Ena, as mentioned in the FAQs in the article; the landlord should sign the papers in theory but some have made the subtenant fill in and sign the papers and it worked. It’s up to you to take this risk.

      • Reply Ena 14/11/2016 at 12:06

        Thank you on your answer. If I register on my boyfriend’s address as a temporary resident, can I get the tax identification number and right to look for a job? That is very important to me. What is the difference between temporary resident and permanent resident at an address?

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/11/2016 at 13:46

          There is no difference as far as the administration is concerned (if you are EU citizen or already have a working visa). Just make sure you register again with your permanent adress when you have found something. You will be able to receive your tax ID yes.

  • Reply Agata 09/11/2016 at 15:30

    I have got a doubt about registration in airbnb rented flat.
    I heard that renting for longer than two months is still legal, but I wouldn’t like to use airbnb contract as it can be a bit suspicious.
    The landlord said he’s fine with us registered and would give us a proper letter. BUT my friends from Germany claim that the rules has changed this year (February 2016) and you need a contract for the flat now – using someone else apartment is no longer possible and the letter is not enough. Is that true???

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 09/11/2016 at 16:08

      Hi Agata. If the landlord is willing to fill in the Wohnunsgeberbestätigung for you, i don’t see why it shouldn’t work.The fact that is an AirBnB is not a concern to your Bürgeramt.

  • Reply Badr Eddine 06/11/2016 at 20:56

    I heard that the new rules requires for the Anmeldung that the tenant to be directly bound with the landlord, the owner of the house or a real estate agency.

  • Reply Nicole 05/11/2016 at 11:56

    Hi. I am staying in Berlin on a scholarship until the end of December and my institution needs me to register at the Anmeldung. The problem is that I am staying in an apartment I rented through AirBnB and the office would not take the printed reservation. Also my landlord would not sign the form to say I am staying here. What should I do? Do you know if AirBnB have an email address where I contact them?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/11/2016 at 16:05

      Hi Nicole. Thanks for leaving a comment. Unfortunately, it is something you should have agreed upon with your landlord before booking his/her place. Reaching out to Airbnb would also lead nowhere as they don’t have any power to force them to do anything. You best options are to either try to negotiate something with your current landlord (who probably is not allowed to rent his/her place, if he/she won’t allow you to register), or find some new place where you can register. i’m sorry there are no easy solutions here. 🙁

  • Reply Jonathan 03/11/2016 at 20:39

    Hello,I just made anmeldung I cant have my name on postbox,is there other way to get tax number and id? thank you

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 04/11/2016 at 09:48

      Hi John. As i mentioned it on the post about tax ids here, you can go to the Finanzamt to get it but they will ask questions why you can’t receive it at home like everyone else. I’d advise you just do put your name on the mailbox, if you live there, you are entitled to do that.

      • Reply Jonathan 04/11/2016 at 19:24

        Problem is that a sub tenant doesnt let me to put name on mailbox because his landlord doesnt know that I am registered at his adress..Do you know maybe how long does it take for tax number to come by post? btw thank you a lot for helpful blog and replies!

        • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 05/11/2016 at 16:08

          Usually about 2 weeks, maximum 3.

  • Reply James Dinsdale 01/11/2016 at 18:12

    I head out to Berlin on Monday ahead of properly moving later at the end of the year. I have my tenant contract but obviously I can’t provide a document from my landlord saying I’ve moved in already. Will thisstill be okay?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 02/11/2016 at 09:38

      Hi James. Good organization but unfortunately, the Bürgeramt’s website does state that you should register after you move in and not before. The good thing is that since you are early, you have all the time to gather all the required documents, and call in advance (a month before you move in maybe) to get an appointment.

  • Reply Mar Sierra 31/10/2016 at 23:15

    Hi, thanks for writing in such detail.
    So I’m applying for the freelance visa and already have all the documents prepared. I have 15 days until my 90 days expire, and i just saw that the next available at the Registration Office is next January 25… does that mean that I need to exit the Shengen area until my appointment? or can I just walk in with the hopes that they receive my case within the next 15 days? have you heard if it’s possible?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 01/11/2016 at 09:58

      Hi Mar Sierra. As i mention it on this page about Visa, it is possible to go without an appointment to get a ticket. However, you might have to go queue very early to get in line. How early? Maybe ask on a group like Berlin Expats on Facebook. Best of luck.

    • Reply Marie Laurence Basque 15/11/2016 at 19:39

      Hi Mar, I might be facing the same situation and would really appreciate it if you could let me know how it went. You can reach me at Thanks a lot.

  • Reply Agata 25/10/2016 at 12:32

    do you know if there’s any document that I could change my paperform Anmeldung to? Some sort of ID that confirms, that I am resident here but is not related to nationality? I have read some time ago that there was some sort of document like this in the past.
    Thank you,

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/10/2016 at 16:34

      Are you maybe referring to permanent residency for non-EU citizens? This other document you talk about doesn’t ring a bell.

  • Reply keegan 19/10/2016 at 22:08

    Do you know if you can bring your contract or do you have to have the landlord form?

    Thanks for your tips so far!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 20/10/2016 at 08:53

      Hi Keegan. As mentioned in the article, you need to have both documents.

  • Reply Brian 17/10/2016 at 09:20

    First off I would like to thank you for your extremely helpful articles. They really are making things much easier. Second, I would like to ask three questions, and I don’t know if this has been addressed in previous comments before as there are so many of them. First, I wanted to ask if I would be allowed to get my Anmeldung even if I’m subletting an apartment or renting from something like Wunderflats or AirBNB? Second, is it legal to offer the landlord/subletter more money (bigger deposit, extra 50-100 euros on monthly rent) to get them to ignore the fact that I won’t have proof of income, bank account, or credit scores when I first get to Berlin? Finally, assuming I can’t get an early appointment to register and have to wait several months, would that be problematic (assuming I’m subletting and things like internet connectivity and electricity are all taken care of/included in the rent)?

    Thank you

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 17/10/2016 at 19:35

      Hi Brian. I’m glad you find this site useful. I will keep it short. There is no rule concerning short-term rentals, just make sure that all parties are aware you want to register before signing the contract as you need their approval (usually not a problem with Wunderflats). Yes, it is even advised to try to make up for your lack of proof in income by giving more money upfront. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It’s not a problem (regarding the law) to be late to register as there is a well known shortage of appointements in the city, howevever it might become a problem if you find a job a need a tax ID, bank account etc for your employer.

  • Reply Alice 15/10/2016 at 15:46


    I have just arrived – I cannot seem to get an appointment for over 2 months! I am going to turn up first thing Monday morning to register as staying with a friend so I can get everything else sorted. My question is – do they speak English? Or should I find someone to come with me to translate?


    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 16/10/2016 at 10:44

      Most the agents can speak english but most of them won’t because the liability stays with them if they give you wrong information. Since speaking in your second language increases the chances of misinterpretations, they might not take the risk. Best is to bring a friend with you.

    • Reply Alana 21/10/2016 at 16:56

      How did you go with turning up without an appointment? I’m thinking about doing the same thing this Monday I’m just not sure if it’s worth the trip, thoughts?

  • Reply AJB 10/10/2016 at 11:22


    Do you know anything about the ‘Führungszeugnis’ and the proceedures for acquiring one? I’m in Berlin, and looking for work and have been asked twice now for one.



    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 11/10/2016 at 11:55

      Hello there. This translates to your criminal record, which your future employer might need if you work with children or for any other sensitive field. You can get one by following those requirements :

  • Reply Ana 05/10/2016 at 10:58

    Thank you !

  • Reply Faraz 02/10/2016 at 00:47

    Hi, I am presently based in New Delhi, India and will soon be studying a masters at TU Berlin. I have been searching for a one room flat or WG in Studentenwerk WH for me stay in Berlin but most are asking for long waiting time. After almost searching for months there has been no success. Have tried other few places as well but all ask for Schufa/ Credit Scores, some have no reservation policy etc.

    Since an ‘Anmeldung’ has to be provided (soon after arrival), I would like to know that if i stay with a acquaintance or friend for 2-3 months before I get my own apartment or maybe in a hostel like on AirBNB, how can I register at Bürgeramt for Anmeldung (naturally without a contract).

    Would be obliged for the an answer.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 03/10/2016 at 10:33

      Hi Faraz, Like i mentioned in the article, you can stay with a friend and register there with the agreement of their landlord before you find your own place. You can also turn to services like Wunderflats who can connect you with short term furnished flats rentals, without any SCHUFA requirements.

  • Reply Dave 24/09/2016 at 20:06

    This blog is the best I’ve read, thank you! I’m moving to Berlin from the UK in a month and will already have a job as I am transferring within my current place of work. As part of my relocation they will provide me with tempory accommodation for up to the first two months. I’ll need to set up a bank account and have a tax code in order for me to get paid at the end of the first month however I’ve read here and elsewhere that you can not get this whilst in tempory accommodation (could be a hotel or a short-stay apartment). What should I do?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 25/09/2016 at 17:30

      Hi there Dave. I’m glad you like the content. The ability to register has nothing to do with the nature of your contract. You just need to have the confirmation from the landlord and some sort of tenancy contract. This can happen also for temporary accomodation. Get in touch with the relocation company or your work, they should be used to that issue and be able to sort you out if you aren’t in touch with the landlord directly.

  • Reply Karina 21/09/2016 at 17:54

    Hi beautiful Berliners, so I moved within Berlin 2 months ago and I have not registered my new address. And now, I am in a situation where I have to register. Obviously, it’s been more than 14 days. Do you think those people at the office can be flexible and let me get away with it, or should I just change my move in date on the contract…? Note that I don’t speak German so I’m unable to argue with the office people.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 21/09/2016 at 20:04

      I don’t think they will really care, you can still be considered a tourist after all. I shouldn’t worry about this.

  • Reply Shankar 19/09/2016 at 13:40

    Thanks for such a post about the pertaining issues most of us have.
    I am a student in cologne and my studenten wohnheim period is getting over by september end. I have an internship from december in Berlin. I will get a apartment by then in Berlin.
    Is it okay if I stay for the next two months at my friends place( he is also a student staying in a studenten wohnheim), also without changing my address of current dorm from my bank, rathaus and insurance places etc. Please advice on this regard.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2016 at 16:49

      Hi Shankar. In short: Probably yes, but register as soon as possible in your new place in Berlin. Call a month before to get an appointment in December so everything’s done in good enough time.

  • Reply Evgeni 17/09/2016 at 15:30

    Hi Bastien,
    I moved to Berlin on monday (12/09), my university (masters degree) ask me to register in two weeks since arrival. I found a room, but the move in date is 4/10. I’m currently staying at my friends flat and he is away, don’t think that his landlord knows. What is your recommendation? I also heard that there are new regulations that prevents me from registering my current place.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2016 at 09:21

      Hi there Evgeni. Your university is asking what the legal requirement currently is. You should probably register where your new room will be. However, i’m sure you can tell them that you have an appointment at the Bürgeramt in a few weeks and it was the earliest appointment possible. Call for an appointment now.

  • Reply Maja 16/09/2016 at 22:09

    I am set to arrive in Berlin in October just 2 days before my work placement starts and when I look online, the only appointments available are mid November. Do I need to have done this before I start a placement that I get paid a small amout for? What should I do? Is it possible to register my address in a nearby German town that won’t have the waiting lists? Also, will Berlin be completely shut down in terms of businesses/shops/buergeramt ect on October 3rd because of the anniversary?

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 19/09/2016 at 09:18

      Hi there Maja. October 3rd is a holiday so nothing will be open yes. As mentioned in the article, if you need your anmeldung paper sooner, you can try to go a Bürgeramt that accept walk ins in less central districts of the city to avoid a lot of traffic.

  • Reply Munn 15/09/2016 at 15:43

    Hi, thanks for the info. Me and my husband are going to Berlin to live this October. We still haven’t found a place to rent for a long term (obviously we have to make a bank account first) but our plan is to ask someone to let us register on their address to get Anmeldung. So can you please tell me do they only have to fill this letter stating that you are staying with them or this Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde or both?
    Thank you very much!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 15/09/2016 at 17:17

      Hi Munn, you fill in the Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde form, and they provide a letter.

  • Reply SEN 13/09/2016 at 13:11

    Excellent write up. Here is my situation, I have been in Germany, doing my Masters, for one year 2013-2014 and later moved in France due to an scholarship. Now I completed my Masters in France. I have two year visa now to look for a job in France. The thing is I want to resume my studies in Germany to complete my degree there which will take one more semester. I had talked to international office of the German university and they replied-

    “When you start your study program nobody can and will hinder you (Enroll at University and register at the registration office). With your residence permit from France you can stay in Germany for 90 days. In this time you can manage your visa for study (blocked account and health insurance, I think you need). That will be enough time, I think. Formally for studying in Germany you need a visa for study and then a residence permit for study, you know this as well. When you need a little bit more time to get it the foreigners office will not make problems”

    To get the German visa from France i need to open the block account at one of the German bank. Opening a block account from France only possible in Deutsche Bank but this is very time consuming. I am afraid I will miss the deadline of the enroll at the german university . So, I am planning to travel in Germany in next week and enroll in the university. To open a bank account I need the “Anmeldung”. Now my question is to receive the Anmeldung do I require German residence permit or they will accept the French one temporarily? Is there any bank who doesn’t require Anmeldung to open a bank account?
    Please note that once I open the bank account and block the money I will get back to France and will do the visa processing from here. Do you think the way I am planning is perfect?

    Sorry for the long text. Thanks in Advance!

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 14/09/2016 at 10:21

      Hi there. It’s certainly a high-speed plan. You need to have an adress in Germany in order to register and get your Anmeldungsbescheinigung. Some banks do accept to open bank accounts without that paper but it may depends on the person of front of you if you explain your situation. I have heard that Postbank is maybe more flexible sometimes, but no guarantees here.

  • Reply Zoe 13/09/2016 at 09:37

    Hello, thanks for the helpful info. I got turned away by the office because the person who sublet his apartment was not registered in his own apartment. (He is also a renter himself- just subleting to me to for a short term) He is now out of country, but the person at the office said he should accompany me. My landlord is coming in 3 months and he said he will register then. He said if needed he could give the office a call to help us. Do you think a phone call will do? I prepared papers that include his name, his landlord’s permission for letting me stay as well. Should I wait and register when he comes back which will be 3 months later? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

    • Reply Bastien - Settle in Berlin 13/09/2016 at 10:47

      Hi Zoe. If i understood right; your landlord and the main tenant are different persons. Simply ask the landlord to fill in all the papers you have prepared and go to the Bürgeramt with them. The landlord’s “voice” can replace the main tenant’s in this case. They don’t care what the tenancy situation is as long as there is a confirmation from the landlord.

    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.