Anmeldung : the compulsory registration

Update 11.04.2020: Due to the current Corona situation, the Anmeldung can often not be processed in person. Most cities in Germany won’t accept to do this via email/post/phone (eg: Berlin), but some will do (eg: Düsseldorf, Bremen). You will need to contact your local Bürgeramt in your own district and see what ways they offer. Requests will be handled on a case by case basis, and probably only urgent ones will be processed. Good luck!

Anmeldung in English : what is it ?

Anmeldung, from the german “An/melden,” to register, this is one of the most important administrative pre-requisites for anybody moving anywhere in Germany.

It is simply the fact of registering residence, living at a specific address in Germany.

When doing so, you will be given the “Meldebescheinigung“, literally “Registration certificate”. Every German citizen or new comer in Germany is supposed to register within 14 days after moving in a new house or flat.

This little innocent piece of paper will be necessary in many aspects of your life in this country. You will be asked that paper if you want to open a bank account, set up an internet connection or simply obtain a tax number.

It’s obvious, to register your flat with the Anmeldung, you need to have found one. But for many of us, we haven’t found one yet! Don’t panic just yet. A simple letter from a friend letting you stay at their place will be enough to register. Same goes in case of a sublet situation. Bear in mind that in theory, the landlord should always be aware of who is living in the place, providing a written confirmation that you have moved in there.

My advice if you are to stay in Berlin or in Germany for less than 3 months :

The Anmeldung may not be a necessary step if you plan to stay for a semester or less than 3 months. You can then be considered as a tourist for this period. However you won’t be able to open any internet or electricity contract, so make sure you can sort that out through other ways (like through a sublet for example). If you want a mobile phone, simply use a pre-paid offer from Blue, Lidl mobile or equivalent.

All you need to do the Anmeldung is :

  • Bring your ID card or passport
  • Bring your tenancy or sublet contract. If you are simply temporarily staying at a friend’s or a relative’s while looking for something more permanent, have them write and sign a letter stating that you are staying with them. Here is a draft you can use.
  • Bring a confirmation that you have moved in from the landlord, the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (document below or here).
  • Fill in that form called “Anmeldung bei einer Meldebehörde” that you get at the entrance of any Bürgeramt or here.
  • If you are married/in a partnership, they will also want see a relevant certificate, translated in German.
  • Go to the nearest Bürgeramt of you area (list below)
  • Have patience

Unless you have an appointment, you will have to wait between 1h and 2h before you can actually meet a city employee that will magically type in all the info you provided in da computer. It only lasts about 5min and voila ! You are done with the Anmeldung.

This is maybe what the whole experience might feel like…

The Anmeldung is an administrative process that is normally compulsory as it’s how the German state tracks population. However; it won’t be the end of the world if you do it a bit later than required. It took for example for me almost 1 year to do it.

Bürgeramt, Bürgerbüro, Rathaus, or Kundezentrum?

This post was originally meant to be read by Berliners only, thus only the term Bürgeramt was used here. However, since people from everywhere in Germany are reading this, it’s worthwhile to say that it’s called differently in other parts of the country. So check the local lingo. 🙂 Those terms can be used interchangeably in this post.

Filling-in the Anmeldung forms in English, is that possible?

If you really don’t know any German and don’t know anybody who can help, this simple task can be hard to achieve. There are so many things to think about when moving to Germany, so it’s sometimes nice to take a little shortcut! To make your life easier, you can turn to Appmeldung, which lets you do exactly that for Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich. Disclaimer: Appmeldung was built by the guy behind SiB.

How to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt, fast?

Booking an appointment is highly recommended to avoid lengthy waiting times:

However the demand for appointements is so high that the first available slot is usually weeks away. A tip to get an appointment in the next few days instead is to check the booking system at 8 a.m. This is when the whole system is refreshed and it often shows open slots when it didn’t a few minutes before. Increase your chances by doing a city-wide search. Sometimes, you can even get something for the same day!

Et voila, you are on the fast track!


  • During the Anmeldung, you will also be able to notify that you need a tax card and number (Steuernummer), you will need that if you decide to find a job in Germany. For some reason, when I did my Anmeldung, I never received the said tax number. I had to go then to the Tax center (Finanzamt) to get it myself. You can find more information about the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) and the Finanzamt here.
  • Berlin has set-up a special phone number to get an express service if you are in a hurry to do your Anmeldung. Just call that new number to get an appointment asap : 030 – 9024 990 (07-20 Uhr).
  • If you are impatient like me or don’t want to spend 2 hours with loud kids, you can simply make an appointment through the website of your local Bürgeramt around 2 weeks in advance.
  • You have the possibility to let the administration know what your religion is. Be aware that if you do so, you will be eligible for an extra tax in case you decide to stay longer. I just choose to state that I was an atheist.

FAQ about the Anmeldung in Germany

I am subletting a room. Do i really need to have the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung filled in by the landlord? Can the main tenant do it?

The German administration wants landlords to fill in that document to confirm that you moved in. This also makes sure that the landlord is aware of the sublet, which is required by law. Although i cannot recommend you to do it, it seems that some people have had the main tenant filled it in and gotten away with it. It seems that the Bürgeramt employees don’t care and/or don’t check. It’s up to you to take that risk.

I am subletting a room but the main tenant doesn’t want me to register there. Why?

This probably means that they are not allowed to sub-rent their room. They maybe live in a WBS flat or they haven’t let the landlord know about it. This is a bad bet if you need to register to start working and stuff.

Which Bürgerämter accept people without appointements? The next available appointment is in 3 weeks, i need something sooner.

Each Bürgeramt seems to have its own policy regarding appointments. The best is maybe to call one to check with them. If they do accept walk-ins, go queue there 30min before opening time to make sure you have a ticket. You may also want to go to less busy offices. See the next question.

Do i need to register at a Bürgeramt in the Bezirk where i live?

You can register at any Bürgeramt in Berlin. This is especially useful if you need to register fast. You can travel to a less popular Bezirke that has less traffic to get an appointment sooner. You’d need to check for other cities in Berlin.

Is there a maximum amount of people that can register in a single living space?

It depends on a few factors and on where you live. In Berlin, the law says that for each adult person, there should be at least 9 sqm, and for kids only 6 sqm. In Bavaria, that is 10 sqm per person over 6 years old, 6 sqm per person under 6 years old.

I need to register fast & i don’t have time to register or/and i’m afraid to do mistakes because of the language, can i send someone else to do it for me?

Absolutely. Someone can represent you and do all this for you provided this person has all the required documents together with your ID/Passport.

Anmeldung in Berlin : list of Bürgeramt per city district

Here is a complete list of all Bürgerämter to make an appointment with one of them. You can also scroll down to see some districts here after.

If you don’t live in another city than Berlin, simply enter your postal code on this page to find out where to go.


Bürgeramt 1
Yorckstr. 4 – 11, 10965 Berlin, Main Entrance, 3rd Floor

Bürgeramt 2
Schlesische Str. 27 A, 10997 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Frankfurter Allee 35/37, 10247 Berlin, Entrance B


Bürgeramt Rathaus Neukölln
Karl-Marx-Str. 83
12043 Berlin – Neukölln


Bürgeramt 1
Mathilde-Jacob-Platz 1
10551 Berlin

Bürgeramt 2
Karl-Marx-Allee 31
10178 Berlin

Bürgeramt 3
Müllerstr. 147
13353 Berlin


Rathaus Charlottenburg
Otto-Suhr-Allee 100,
10585 Berlin.

Hohenzollerndamm 177,
10713 Berlin.

Heerstr. 12,
14052 Berlin.


  • Reply Matteo 15/01/2016 at 17:27

    let me get this straight! Are these informal letters still valid from the 1st of November? Or the only way to anmelden is being able to provide to the Bürgeramt a REAL housing-contract?
    My situation: I have found an internship in Berlin and I would start on the 15th of February. I’ll be in Berlin on February the 5th trying to find a place to stay. I’m sending thousand emails but I haven’t found anything available yet. I have spoken with some hostels and they won’t sign the letter even If stay there for more than one month. Even If I provide the Bürgeramt a job-contract they won’t let me anmelden?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 15/01/2016 at 19:03

      The informal letters are still fine but you have to get a written confirmation from the landlord. That’s the new tricky document to get. A bit ridiculous if you want my opinion but there must be a good reason why there is this new rule. Maybe to prevent fraud ?

    • Reply Paris 01/02/2016 at 14:01

      Matteo! I am in the exact same position as you!! You’re not starting with the company Media Consulta by any chance are you?! I start on the 15th too and have booked a hostel for the first month but they won’t let me register with them either… what are you going to do? Give me an email [email protected] maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something! x

    • Reply Pawel 22/06/2016 at 23:52

      I was wondering what worked for you in the end. I am looking to getting temporary room via Wimdu, and asking landlord for a paper, but now I’m lost. Is there a real chance for that to work?

  • Reply Claudia 13/01/2016 at 11:50

    Hi, I already have an appointment to do my Anmeldung, but now it is possible that I won’t be in Berlin at the time.
    Do you know if it is possible for someone to do it for me if they have all the papers needed, including a copy of my ID?

    Thank you for your attention.
    Awesome website!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 13/01/2016 at 13:07

      You can be represented by someone else than you but i think they need an original document and not a copy anyway. Here is what it says on the website: “Ihre persönliche Vorsprache ist erforderlich oder sie werden durch eine andere Person vertreten. Bei der Abgabe des Anmeldeformulars und der übrigen erforderlichen Unterlagen können Sie sich durch eine geeignete Person vertreten lassen. Die von Ihnen beauftragte Person muss in der Lage sein, die zur ordnungsgemäßen Führung des Melderegisters erforderlichen Auskünfte zu erteilen. Das Anmeldeformular müssen Sie eigenhändig unterschreiben.”

  • Reply Philly 07/12/2015 at 11:39

    Hello, and thanks for all the useful information!

    I’m doing an Erasmus internship here for 3 months and now it’s time to leave. I was living at a relative’s place (not subletting, just as a guest i.e. without paying rent) and registered just with a letter from her before Nov. 1st. Now the website says they require a form signed by the landlord to do the Abmeldung… do you think it’s possible to abmeld without it??

    I don’t want to cause my relative any trouble and I don’t think her contract says she can sublet the house – which she isn’t doing, as I’m staying there for free and for a very short period!

    If any one has a similar experience please let me know what is my best chance to abmeld without having to contact the landlord.

  • Reply Brian 02/12/2015 at 14:17

    Can anyone tell me definitively what I need to bring to the Burgeramt? My girlfriend just got a great job but needs to register to get her tax ID and I’m kind of lost in what we will need to bring now that it’s after November 1st.

    Is the letter from a friend on a lease still enough? Or do we need to have them fill out the Meldebestätigung? What location is our best chance to que up and walk in?

    • Reply BB 02/12/2015 at 21:26

      You need a letter from a friend who’s actually renting the flat and your ID/passport. Now in most of Burgeramts you need to register an appointment, so better to check this website regularly (On Monday morning I managed to book an appointment for the same day): (click “Termin berlinweit suchen und buchen”). Heard that in Rathaus Neukölln you can just come in the morning and wait in line, but I’m not sure is it true.

    • Reply Mayank 02/12/2015 at 23:23

      Also you can try the Bugeramt in Wedding, Froblestrasse and Frankfurter Allee these still take walk ins as far as I know.

    • Reply Brian 08/12/2015 at 14:41

      Thanks for your help guys, got to Wedding around 8 this morning and ended up waiting about 3 hours but I now have my anmeldung. I just had the lease holder fill out the top section of the new form, there was no need for the landlord’s info as long as it’s filled out by the primary lease holder.

      • Reply Mary 09/12/2015 at 02:23

        Hi Brian, I wondered what the New form is?
        I have a letter from the Primary lease holder stating the subletting agreement.
        Is there a new specific form we can take with us filled out by the primary lease holder?

        • Reply Brian 09/12/2015 at 10:53

          The Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form can be found here –

          • Aj 13/12/2015 at 12:13

            Thanks for the update Brian. This really helps. So from what I understand, all I need are: My passport and the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form. Do I need to fill in another form when I get there (as per mention in this very helpful article)? I’d be very grateful if you let me know. Cheers.

          • Brian 16/12/2015 at 11:26

            No need to fill in another form when you get there. You’ll be fine with your passport, the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form, and the Anmeldung form –

            When I was there, they were passing out a different version of the Anmeldung form to people that didn’t bring one but I had no issues using the one linked above.

  • Reply BB 27/11/2015 at 23:41

    After all those changes which were applied in November is the letter from a friend still enough to register? If yes does my friend needs to be a tenant or subtenant of a flat is enough?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 29/11/2015 at 12:04

      A letter from a tenant is still enough if this main tenant has sub-rented the flat with the agreement of the landlord, that will then logically provide this new confirmation letter. If things are made by the rules, there should be no problem. This is to avoid that people sub-rent their flat without the agreement of the landlord i think.

      • Reply Muta 01/12/2015 at 12:15

        Hi! A question: if I’m staying at my friends place ( till one day magically I’ll find my own place), but not sub-renting, sharing it, do I still need the confirmation of the landlord or the letter from a friend it’s enough? My friend is a main contractor.

        • Reply BB 01/12/2015 at 19:33

          I did that this week and a letter from a friend who’s on a renting contract is enough. Good luck!

          • Jordan DB 05/12/2015 at 19:52

            Can you elaborate on that? So you just went to the Burgeramt with your passport, a letter from your friend and that’s it? Or do you need a copy of his rental agreement? Btw i have an appointment for within two weeks and just want everyting to be in order as i not want to wait another two months for a new one :s I have a sublet contract, the NEW wohnungsgeber form signed by the Hauptmieter (because i’m subletting from him, this does mean that he is legally obligated to sign the form, right? Do you also need an additional Stamp from the landlord, anybody know this, in this case??). My passport ofcourse (i’m a EU citizen so that’s enough right? Because on the berlin website they also state that you have to bring a Geburtsurkunde :s ). And also a written letter from the main tenant that i’m living there. Sorry for all the text but i’m quit nervous as i’m starting my new job within a few weeks and really can’t afford having to get another appointment.. I’m also considering about going to walk ins next week so if anything goes wrong before my official appointment i can hopefully get it fixed. Any further advise would be great! Glad i found this website.

    • Reply Brian 16/12/2015 at 11:25

      No need to fill in another form when you get there. You’ll be fine with your passport, the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form, and the Anmeldung form –

      When I was there, they were passing out a different version of the Anmeldung form to people that didn’t bring one but I had no issues using the one linked above.

  • Reply Annoyed 26/11/2015 at 11:22

    I was turned away at the door of the Burgeramt for not having the signed confirmation that I moved in from the landlord. Have got a proper contract and all. They seem to take it pretty seriously.

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 26/11/2015 at 12:07

      So the contract is really not enough although it’s a written confirmation you live there ?

      • Reply Annoyed ≥ Angry 26/11/2015 at 13:48

        Exactly! And you cannot even get a number at the Burgeramt without having this additional document filled in and signed (sometimes it has to be the actual owner or the house community representative).
        I am very worried now because the guy who is subletting the flat to me for half a year refused to sign this other document as he is by his original contract not allowed to sublet the flat and is worried his landlord would use this to kick him out from his old contract and refurbish the flat. Quite a catch 22 situation now especially that i am starting at a very well paid job next week and worried i might loose it since now i cannot have all the other things sorted for which my broker is only waiting for the Anmeldung.

        • Reply Adf 27/11/2015 at 19:49

          I am in a similar situation. I can only get sublets as I don’t have enough proof of income to get a proper rental agreement. But I can’t start freelancing here until I have an address to anmeldung! It doesn’t seem like they have thought this new rule through. There’s going to be a lot of people in this situation.

          • settle_in_Berlin 29/11/2015 at 12:02

            i guess this new rule is to avoid that people are subletting their flat withouth the agreement of their landlord. So as long as the main tenant has been transparent with the landlord, it still is an option to be a subtenant.

    • Reply BB 06/12/2015 at 21:28

      All I had was the letter from a friend (in my case it was a main person who’s renting the flat) and the ID as I’m from EU. The sample of the letter you can find above. I did it last week so I believe you should have no problem to do it with all your documents.

  • Reply nic 24/11/2015 at 17:42

    It probably is just in Munich this is happening then…

  • Reply nic 24/11/2015 at 17:14

    Is just the letter really enough? Isn’t there a new form you are supposed to take, signed by the landlord himself? Or can that form be signed by the person renting the apartment?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 24/11/2015 at 17:25

      Not that i’m aware of. If someone here knows better, maybe they can confirm or infirm this ?

      • Reply nic 24/11/2015 at 17:42

        It might be just in Munich…

    • Reply Mayank 24/11/2015 at 17:41

      Actually the landlord has to pay some taxes at the end of the year. I was at the Burgeramt last week and I was Informed that this New form is mandatory all over Germany now since 1st November. Also, the format of meldebestätigung (the residence approval that is signed and given back to the person applying) has changed.
      However, there are different rules according to who is applying and who needs to fill this new form. For one example, if you are a sub-tenant, the First tenant in whose name the apartment contract is made, can sign the new form (provided if the main contract says that the person can sublet the apartment).

      • Reply settle_in_Berlin 25/11/2015 at 09:45

        Thanks for the precision. I will edit the article.

  • Reply Clarissa 12/11/2015 at 00:09

    It’s been a month since I moved to Germany.
    I’m living with my cousin in Mainz but looking for a job in any city (maybe even in another EU country). Should I wait to get a job and register in the city I will rent an apartment etc or should I register in the city I’m currently living (although temporarily)?
    Thank you!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 12/11/2015 at 09:45

      Both options are possible. The only limitation is that you need to be registered to get a job and since the anmeldung can take some time, you may want to be on the safe side.

    • Reply Nick 23/11/2015 at 07:53

      I wonder whether a landlord has to pay some fees / taxes for having a registered tenant?

      Thank you!

  • Reply Caio 10/11/2015 at 13:17

    Hello! I’m student and I will live in Berlin for 4 months (Actually, 3 months from now on). At the moment, I’m living in an apartment as a subtenant . Thus, I don’t need to open a bank account (because I use ATM Card), internet or telephone. So, I wonder is in my case, is it worth to face a queue to obtain this document?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 11/11/2015 at 10:52

      As i mentionned in the article. Probably not worth the trouble but in theory you should do it.

  • Reply Daniel 09/11/2015 at 21:01

    Hello, I am staying in Berlin for 4 and a half months as Praktikant in a office, through the Erasmus program. I tried to apply for Anmeldung online when i got here ( end of September) but the earliest after a month of searching i somehow managed to find an opening on the 25th this month…My question is as follows: do I really need to bother with the whole Anmeldung process after waiting so long since I am renting a 1 room flat ,so I do not need no tv/internet or any of the sorts, nor am i in need to open a bank account….

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 10/11/2015 at 10:19

      Officially yes, personnaly, i don’t think it’s necessary. It also depends on how/if you are getting paid. If your employer is paying health insurance/taxes for you, you might need to go through anyway.

  • Reply Mayank 06/11/2015 at 12:00

    My wife will be joining me soon. I have the residence contract in my name. How can my wife register at the burgeramt for residence? Is it required to have her name in the residence contract?
    Or can I use the blue card at the Burgeramt for her residence registration?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 07/11/2015 at 10:42

      You just need to make her a note stating that she lives with you at the same address where you already registered.

      • Reply Mayank 12/11/2015 at 09:49

        Thank you for the help.

  • Reply Roman 09/10/2015 at 11:34

    Great site – thanks! Based on the last few comments, going in person, without an appointment does not make any sense anymore, given the number of refugees coming to Germany, I guess?

  • Reply Fernanda 02/10/2015 at 09:21

    Hi! I am leaving berlin next week and wondering what should I do with the the green paper they gave to me when I registered my address.. The eoman in the office said I should bring back that paper when I was leaving the country. Di you have any information about that??? Thanks!!!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 02/10/2015 at 09:49

      If you are leaving for good, you should unregister yourself. I think that’ what he meant.

  • Reply Bogdan 30/09/2015 at 21:11

    Hello, thank u for article.

    Now I see that all Bürgeramt have no available appointments, also all of them seems working only with appointments. Is it true?
    Is there any Bürgeramt that have a live queue?

  • Reply orhan 24/09/2015 at 14:56

    hello sorry i wanted to ask, i want to come in berlin to learn german language, did i need ammeldung to registered in language course?

  • Reply Megan Brown 19/09/2015 at 22:26

    Just to update this article: It seems that almost all offices/ Bürgeramt are now appointment only. I have been various ones trying to get an appointment but everything is solidly booked for all dates which have been made available online. This is no longer a simple process. Apparently you don’t get a fine for not doing this in time (14 days after moving) but if like me, you want it for a bank account, then be prepared to wait almost two months. 🙁

  • Reply Billie 09/09/2015 at 13:37


    I’m leaving Berlin at the end of the month. Do you have any advice regarding the Abmeldung? (e.g English form, process, waiting time). I need to know how long it takes for me to receive the paperwork back.


    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 10/09/2015 at 09:52

      I would expect the same process at the anmeldung. It’s probably too late for you to take an appointment so you have to wake up early ;).

  • Reply Kitte 03/09/2015 at 23:02

    So. I think I have a problem.

    I have a flat, two jobs that I recently started but I haven’t registered at the Bürgeramt yet (I have an appointment the 1st of October which was the first day that was available). I have been in touch with a krankenkasse and also a German bank. HOWEVER I don’t have a Steuernummer. What happens if I work for a month and don’t have a Steuernummer?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 04/09/2015 at 09:40

      Your employers should have asked your steuernummer in the first place for their accounting and administrative needs. Haven’t they ? Trouble might come on their side as well there.
      My opinion (opinion only, not an educated one): For you, it won’t change too much since it’s your employer who is in charge of connecting the Finanzamt with your steuernummer. However, can’t be sure. Maybe someone can help us there ?

      • Reply G 27/10/2015 at 11:50

        I am in the same situation. I had an appointment today at the Rathaus ( it took me 3 weeks to get it) and they wouldn’t let me register without the letter from the landlord.
        I should get paid in a few days. What will happen?

  • Reply Serge 31/08/2015 at 16:20


    Thanks so much for this short guide and your site. It’s been super useful. Just wanted to say I went to the Bürgeramt Prenzlauer Berg on Fröbelstraße 17 10405 and got my ANMELDUNG on the same day. All the slots were busy on their site, so I went there at 8 sharp on Monday, although Id recommend coming 15 minutes earlier. After waiting for about 30 mins in the queue for information desk I got a number, then I was called in a bit over an hour and voila. I cant speak any German at all, and the lady couldnt speak any English but somehow we pulled it through without much effort. Its a really nice old building which was a bit difficult to find at first. The Registration office is in building 6, on the right as you come in. Hope this is useful.

  • Reply Steglitz 31/08/2015 at 02:27

    Hi, thank you for this informative post. Luckily, I was able to make an appointment online even before I came to Berlin. It’s on September 3. So it’s perfect for me. But my wife and two kids will get here on September 15. Again, I made another appointment online for Sep 17, but under my name (I made a mistake! but I had to be really quick!!). So I have three questions regarding this.
    1) Is it ok for my wife to register using the online appointment with my name on it? (I will accompany her with a contract of our own flat) 2) Can my kids register along with their mom with that appointment which is for one person? 3) Do we have to take our kids to the burgeramt with us or we just bring their passports and proof of family relationship?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 31/08/2015 at 09:59

      I’m too young to have kids or to have friends that were in your situation so all i can share is my opinion: 1)Yes, you are married. Should be no problem. Maybe bring a proof of that just in case. 2) Probably yes 3) Just bring passports & family proof i suppose. When they are under-age, you are their legitimate legal representative, so it’s as if the children were with you.

  • Reply Polpetta 26/08/2015 at 11:10


    I am an Italian citizen and I moved to Berlin a couple of months ago. I immediately registered at the Bürgeramt but I found out only now that after the Anmeldung you are compelled to stipulate a contract with a German Krankenkasse. Is it true? Are there going to be problems since I didn’t do it immediately? Do you know how much would I pay since I don’t have a job?

    Thank you in advance!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 26/08/2015 at 16:58

      Never heard of that. You certainly need an health insurance but i don’t see how the obligation is related to the anmeldung (although health insurance is not compulsory technically). What are your sources ?

      • Reply Polpetta 26/08/2015 at 20:50

        Ok, I must amend, I was reading the wrong documents. It looks like that you lose your normal Italian National Health Insurance only when you register into the AIRE (Albo Italiani Residenti all’Estero), which is a procedure that you have to request personally and with whom you move your official residence abroad and gain the possibility to vote in the various from there. With the Anmeldung beim Bürgeramt you only move your domicile, which does not affect your NHI.

  • Reply Azzie 23/08/2015 at 17:00


    I wonder if someone can advise me? I have just moved from UK to Berlin and am staying with a friend. I therefore have an address to register with, but i will not stay at this address and my friend has said will have to unregister after a month. This is ok for me to set up a bank account, but i am worried about the future…

    I have been offered to rent a good flat but they wont allow me to register there. And my worry is for when in a couple of months i will need a part time job. For a job do i need an ammeldung just when i begin the job, or for the whole period that i work for that job? I am worried i should not take this flat due to this problem. However, my other option would be moving from a sublet to another sublet and then i wonder in this situation, would i be able to get a job as my ammeldung address would keep changing…so i would not anyway have a ‘constant’ address during the time i work for the job…

    Please can you help me? Im so confused and dont have any way of working this out, and i dont know whether or not to take the flat…but i need somewhere to live!

    Many thanks for your help!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 24/08/2015 at 10:01

      Hi Azzie. Thanks for dropping a line. When you look at the theory, it can seem a bit stressful but in practice, no one will mind if you change adresses often. In fact, in most cases and for the bank for example, they only ask you your current anmeldebescheinigung and they couldn’t care less if you were to move the next day. It is only administration stuff. Same for your job. So don’t worry about that. Concerning the flat you are considering, they have no right to forbid you to register at this adress, so once you have a your contract for the flat, go register. It’s no like the flat owner will be notified or anything.

      • Reply Azzie 24/08/2015 at 11:45


        Thanks so much for your reply. I have told the flat i will take it, even if only temporarily for a couple of months or whatever while i get myself sorted. I know people say i should still be able to register there but they are nice people and have specifically asked that i don’t, so i feel its is dishonest to go and register anyway.

        Can i ask though – so if i get a job i would need on the day of starting, to show my anmeldung? And then if after that day i became UN-registered, and hadn’t RE-registered anywhere else at that time, but kept working at the job, would they care or would this get back to some authority that i wouldn’t want it to and cause trouble? With tax or anything? – i hear you get a ‘tax number’ once you first register…

        Many thanks for your advice,

  • Reply Jonathan Stein 10/08/2015 at 21:35

    Hallo, I’m going to move to Berlin in October, I’m Brazilian/Luxemburger but I don’t have a passport and ID of Luxembourg yet, so I will do it when I get Berlin at the Lux’s embassy. I will go with my Brazilian passport as a tourist, and live at my sister’s flat. My question is, can I stay as a tourist for 1 month until I get my documents and then do the anmeldung, or is it better I do the anmeldung with my Brazilian documents in 7 days? thank in advance.

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 11/08/2015 at 09:47

      Both options are possible. I would personally go for the first one but you might want to pick the second one if you need to open bank accounts or sign up for an internet access faster.

  • Reply Oskar 08/08/2015 at 17:36

    Hey can someone tell me if I need to get an appointment online or can I just walk down there ? It’s pretty urgent so please help (:

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 10/08/2015 at 14:08

      Try your luck early in the morning. Come 30min before opening time. And then book online if they refuse you.

    • Reply Sepi 11/08/2015 at 01:10

      Hi Oskar,
      I went to Bürgeramt 1 half hour before opening. When I went in the lady said I couldn’t get my address registered because I didn’t have an online appointment and that the next one would be in October!!!! Quite disappointed I left that office and decided to give Bürgeramt 2
      Schlesische Str. 27 A, 10997 Berlin) a try, they were so much nicer and I got my Anmeldung in about 10mins!! So my suggestion is to go there a bit before opening and hopefully you’ll get it too. By the way I used Tony’s letter too and it worked great. Thanks all 🙂

      • Reply Clara Talbot 27/01/2016 at 10:04

        Hello, I’m in a situation where I’m staying with a friend too who is subletting but the main rented won’t sign off on us registering there but my friend is willing to write ‘Tony’s letter’. If it worked for you, did you have to bring the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung form too? If you did have to bring it, did you just fill out your friend’s name?

  • Reply Merve 20/07/2015 at 16:24

    Hey! I am in Berlin on a tourist visa (schengen type c) and I am staying for 71 days. Do I need to anmelden?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 28/07/2015 at 11:13

      In theory, you are supposed to register yes. In practice, i wouldn’t bother.

      • Reply Merve 28/07/2015 at 11:17

        Thank you! Do you think they would ask about it (the anneldung paper) on my way back home at the airport?

  • Reply Jesse JUkic 02/07/2015 at 16:02

    Omg 9 wee k wait for Anmeldung XD

  • Reply Karo 08/06/2015 at 00:19

    Does the Anmeldung form must be signed by a landlord?
    Or just a separate rental agreement is sufficient?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 08/06/2015 at 14:46

      The anmeldung form itself is signed by you not the landlord. You just need a proof that you are living somewhere so the rent contract is enough.

      • Reply Karo 08/06/2015 at 22:58

        Thank you!!!

  • Reply Nicole 19/05/2015 at 13:45

    Just wanted to say thanks for this helpful blog post. I just got back from registering my residence at the Sonnennallee Bürgermt. I used the letter provided (and even wrote it out by hand because I didn’t have access to a printer.) The woman spoke English and was very helpful.

    I suggest getting there an hour before they open and join the queue. Once they open they will give you a ticket. You go upstairs and another woman will give you a number. Shuffle to another waiting room and wait your turn. The office opened at 11. My ticket said 11:15. My number was called around 11:20. Not too shabby Berlin!

    After 20 minutes, I walked out with my Anmeldung! Next up–start the freelance visa process!

    • Reply anon002 25/06/2015 at 13:05

      Just for the benefit of everyone reading these posts, this morning I made the trip over to the Sonnenalle Burgeramt, arrived at 9.45 and waited in line (there were approx 10 people already there). They opened at 11am and when I talked to the lady at the door who was handing out numbers she asked where my address was, when I said Zehlendorf (I was under the impression you could do your Anmeldung regardless of the location in Berlin) she told me to do my Anmeldung in Zehlendorf or she could make an appointment for me in August. Otherwise they could not help as they did not have enough numbers.

      This seems to be a tricky thing to get done quickly. The catch 22 is that you have to do it within 2 weeks of arrival but no Burgerampts allow appointments within that date range.

    • Reply Sepi 03/08/2015 at 17:22

      Hello Nicole,
      I just read your response here and I’m going through the same process 🙂 About to apply for the Anmeldung and then the freelance visa. Would love to know how things went for you. Hopefully all great and you now have the visa!

      • Reply Paul 07/08/2015 at 18:56

        Hi, from recent experience with the anmeldung process:

        1. The two week deadline doesn’t really seem to be enforced so long as you make an appointment. I have a friend who made an internet appointment that had a one-month waiting period, and there was no problem at all when she duly turned up to register.

        2. As for the appointment system itself, most Bürgerämter now seem to insist on one. The website notes that some don’t, however this is not actually a good reference point. For example, in Neukölln, both Sonnenallee and the Rathaus stipulate online that you don’t need an appointment. I got told in Sonnenallee that you in fact do need one, while the Rathaus said they can only accept you on spec if you live in the area and are there early enough.

        3. So the most pressing issue then is getting an appointment. If you try then to make an appointment on the website, there’s currently about a seven-week waiting period, which may be less than ideal for many people. In the end, I just chanced going to my local amt in Prenzlauer Berg in person and they gave me an appointment for three days later. So I guess the lesson may be, before booking online, go to your local amt, without an appointment, wherever it is, as early in the day as you can and see what happens. The goal at the moment seems to be to ensure that people go to their nearest amt, or to get them to book online (which of course incurs a fee).

        Happy anmelden-ing!

  • Reply Adam 01/04/2015 at 15:57

    I am planning on getting a working Holliday visa for germany. I have looked into all the details and it all should be fine and I have made appointments at the Anmeldung place and the visa place so that should all be fine.
    I only plan on staying in Berlin for a few weeks while I obtain the visa then I will travel for a few months before settling in Germany.
    I now just need a residence to register. I have been applying for many rooms to rent for 3 weeks or so but no luck yet.

    My question is, am I able to use a hostel/hotel for my residence if I stay in the same one for a couple of weeks? I only need the resident permit initially to get a Working holliday visa.
    Will they accept a Hostel/Hotel?

    thanks a lot

  • Reply moran 24/03/2015 at 12:16

    great, many thanks!

  • Reply moran 23/03/2015 at 17:39

    I wonder if any one has a sample for the letter I can use for registration (anmeldung) from the people letting me stay at their place.
    many thanks

    • Reply Tony 24/03/2015 at 12:10

      Here’s what I used two days ago and it worked just fine.
      Just fill in the blanks and have your friend sign this:

      Betreff: Wohnungsbestätigung von Herr/Frau YOUR NAME

      Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
      mit diesem Schreiben bestätige ich, Herr/Frau FRIENDS NAME, Mieter/in der Wohnung, Adresse STREET AND NUMBER, dass Herr/Frau YOUR NAME, ab DATE OF MOVE-IN die Wohnung bewohnt.
      Bei Fragen können Sie sich gerne schriftlich bei mir melden.

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

      CITY, DATE

      • Reply Krets 24/03/2015 at 15:27

        Tony, This example letter is exactly what I was looking for. Than you for sharing it!

      • Reply settle_in_Berlin 25/03/2015 at 10:42

        Hey Tony, can i use this example to update this post ? I would insert in there.

  • Reply Jack 21/10/2014 at 11:33

    Hey. Do you need to of already moved into a place to register there. I move into a place on the 1st Nov and already have a contract.

    Hoping I can sort the ameldung out before I move in.


    • Reply J 25/11/2014 at 08:14

      I also need to register a few days before moving in, is this possible?

      • Reply settle_in_Berlin 26/11/2014 at 14:41

        Good question. What matter are the dates on the paper you bring to the office. Whatever the dates on there are, this is what the agent will look for. if you can get a back-dated paper, it should be no problem, otherwise try your luck and let us know if you can register before. 😉

  • Reply oliver c 11/10/2014 at 16:52


    Firstly, thank you! this was so helpful to me.

    Im now trying to get hold of a Steuernummer but struggling to understand anything about it. I asked at the Burgeramt and i’m sure the friendly lady said something about it coming to my house, but so far haven’t received any form or the like?

    any ideas? I just noticed you mentioned about writing an article about getting a tax number… please do!?

    all the best good super duper stuff

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 18/10/2014 at 16:55

      Maybe this helps : . You should get your identification number in your mailbox. I never got my steuernummer to come to my house. Am i an exception ?

      • Reply Tony 19/03/2015 at 12:43

        Also Oliver, make sure your last name is clearly written on the mailbox where you are living, otherwise your mail will not be delivered to you! Are you having trouble receiving other post as well?

  • Reply Craig 29/09/2014 at 20:00


    I was wondering does the person who you have your letter from have to be officially registered at the address? I have no friends who are actually registered at the address they are staying at (all off the cuff sublets so it seems).

    I assume they marry up the name and address on the letter with names and addresses on their system?


    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 29/09/2014 at 21:27

      Yes. the person that gives you a letter should be registered already. Otherwise, you need your own tenancy contract.

  • Reply Ani 18/06/2014 at 21:55


    Thanks for the useful article! I have a few questions. My friends are writing a letter for me and my boyfriend saying that we will be staying at their flat.
    Are there any requirements or the letter form is quite informal? Should it be in German? Should we have two separate letters (we are not married and will probably register with a separate Anmeldungsformular)?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 22/06/2014 at 15:35

      The letter should be in German yes. The letter should be formal if possible yes. Since you are not married, you need each a different proof/letter, yes. 🙂

  • Reply Ani 15/06/2014 at 07:41

    I am trying to sublet a flat in Berlin, but I asked a couple of people about signing the Anmeldeformular for me and they all refused. I don’t know why, but all got kind of scared and started asking questions what’s this all about. I am confused why people are so uninformed when this is doc. #1. So my wonder is whether they really have to sign the firm or they just have to right me a simple letter to confirm I am staying at their flat. Thanks a lot!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 22/06/2014 at 15:33

      Hi Ani. They can’t sign the form for you, you should be the one doing that. The main tenant should just provide a proof that you are staying in the flat, which is required to do the Anmeldung.

  • Reply Jeet Thakkar 26/05/2014 at 10:44


    Thanks for the awesome article. I am in the process of applying for the extension of my residence permit in Berlin. Currently, I am living in Munich. My question is whether a letter from you bestie works to fulfill the requirement of the tenancy / sublet contract when it comes to extension of residence permits as well, or is this just for the Anmeldung?


    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 10/06/2014 at 22:38

      Found an answer about that yet ? I have no clue about this.

  • Reply Tali 07/05/2014 at 18:29

    Hi, thanks so much for the info you have left on here it is very useful.
    I have gathered that I need to fill in this registration (Ammu…etc) form and book an appointment at the office. However, my German is appalling- do you know any websites that could perhaps offer me a translated version of the file? I have found it in German however it is just staring blankly at me taunting me as I do not have the slightest clue what any of it means.. We are somewhat short of fluent friends at the moment as we have only just arrived..
    Will appreciate any tips if you have any,
    Thanks a lot

  • Reply mauricio 20/04/2014 at 12:44


    Ich habe eine wichtige frage. When you got your anmeldung for the first time and then you moved to another district (where the Bürgeramt only works by appointment) is it possible to get it in another Bürgeramt that needs no appointment for it? Since I need it ASAP and the next appointments are for after the 12th of May.

    Just wanted to clear this doubt out before perhaps losing my time in the Bürgeramt.

    Vielen danke.

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 26/04/2014 at 18:32

      In most Bezirke, there will be more than just one Bürgeramt available to register yourself so as long it is the right Bezirke, go for it. It is strange however; i have never encountered an office only available with appointements. but hey ; whatever works !

  • Reply mostafa ghonim 31/10/2013 at 14:33

    i have a question
    i am egyptian doctor and already have got a jop seeking visa for 6 months
    in berlin i will travel to berlin in 10 days
    what shall i do firstly when arrive?
    bank account during this period
    thanks alot

  • Reply bablu 27/10/2013 at 18:06

    hello. i have eu long term i need work permit? how i can get job witout german

  • Reply bablu 27/10/2013 at 18:04

    I have eu long term status(ec long term resident permit issued from greece.Please i have plan to move berlin.which will be my first i need work permit?can i apply resident permit without tax number and registration of home etc
    how i can get job while i donot know german

    • Reply Ron 14/05/2015 at 10:02

      In regards to non-EU nationals with PERMANENT RESIDENCY from another EU member (except UK, Ireland and Denmark), you have all the rights you had in the issuing member state. EU Directive 2003/109/EC (Article 3)

      If anyone has any questions about EU regulations and national obligations, you should contact both the EU Commission Help Desk, which answers within one week — yes really! at:
      [email protected]


      The German Migration office (BAMF) at [email protected]

  • Reply Polina 27/10/2013 at 15:15

    Hey, thank you for useful information! But I have a question, if I register at friends place, might it be of some inconvenience to them? Like May be they would have to pay an additional tax or something? And what kind if letter is that they have to write? Btw, I need to stay for about a year or so.

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 04/11/2013 at 18:45

      I don’t think it will be any extra inconvenience for your friends. They won’t have to pay any extra tax since you will register under your own name.
      the letter can very simply state that your friends have accepted to accommodate you and lodge you for the time being.

  • Reply Polina 27/10/2013 at 14:14

    Hey! Thanks for the information. If I stay for about one year, probably longer, can I still register at friends place? How will it reflect on them? Will they have to some additional tax or something? And before leaving I would have to cancel the registration, right?

  • Reply Laurent 08/10/2013 at 18:35

    Thanks for the information, it’s been really useful.
    Here’s to add my 2cent: I’ve been registering in October, and then the delay to get an appointment was much longer: I came on a friday afternoon, and the man at the information desk told me to come back next monday, not at opening time (8am), but at 6:30 to be in the queue when they would start giving out appointment tickets for the day. That’s what I did (I got number 34 and went in at 9:20, out at 9:25). People arriving at 8 got numbers like 200 or 300… I can’t imagine how long they’ve waited to get in, if they finally could. Internet appointments were only 3-4 weeks ahead, so that wasn’t an option for me (I needed it quickly for a bank account).
    The employee asked me to confirm everything in the form (he spoke a perfect english), so one shouldn’t worry if they don’t understand perfectly how the form needs to be filled. Still, you can print the form beforehand and ask google translate some help to fill it in 🙂
    Also, I discovered afterwards: you don’t seem to need it to open an online bank account…

  • Reply sophia satsli 06/08/2013 at 16:08

    egw pou den mporw na brw kanenan na me diwsei gia na piasw douleia ti na kanw???efaga 4 xiliades euro se uposxeseis!kai exipakouete oti xwris douleia den exeis sumbolaio kai xwris sumbolaio den exeis spiti opote anmeldung kapoyt!

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 06/08/2013 at 21:52

      Google translate tells me this is Haitian… care to translate to English ?

      • Reply Simone 07/08/2013 at 08:09

        it’s actually greek

        • Reply settle_in_Berlin 07/08/2013 at 20:21

          Dang ! #intercultural sensitivity through the window

        • Reply settle_in_Berlin 07/08/2013 at 20:23

          Translation from Google : “I can not find anyone to sack to get a job to do ? ate 4 thousand Euros …” 🙂

  • Reply Deniz 05/08/2013 at 23:50

    Hello! Thanks for useful informations. Firstly I’m from Turkey and I will go to Berlin for an internship this summer. And I have a special passaport and I can travel in EU countries without visa. My question is can i use this passaport to get an tax card without an residence permission or do i have to apply for visa then get residence permission and latter tax card in Germany?
    Thanks in advance!

  • Reply Elliot ramsay 21/07/2013 at 14:32

    Great website dude. I am planning on moving to berlin and getting a 1 year working visa. Will all this still apply if I don’t have the visa..?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 21/07/2013 at 21:03

      For this specific article ? i suggest that your refer to the advice i give for people staying for less 4 months. Once you know you will stay for longer (after you get your visa), i advise that you proceed to do the anmeldung.

  • Reply Jen 27/02/2013 at 15:36

    Me like this. Do you have tip about getting the tax number you talk about ?

    • Reply settle_in_Berlin 14/03/2013 at 20:33

      Good point Jen. I am preparing a little article to explain how to do that. Coming soon… /°

    1 2 3 9

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.